gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 05:22:29 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Avani Raptor 20A 120W...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Avani Raptor 20A 120W...  (Read 29332 times)

Offline mamu

• PV Master
Avani Raptor 20A 120W...
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
Been working with the 20A 120W Raptor converter using a couple of Hammond cases - 1590G (100mm x 50mm x 25mm) and 1550P (80mm x 55mm x 25mm).

I've added reverse polarity protection (D-PAK size P-FET), overcurrent protection (2x 9A strap fuses), UVLO (5.6v zener diode), and voltmeter to display input and output voltage.

Both builds are labor intensive with dremelling the case and also dremelling the Keystone battery holder so everything fits.  With both cases I dremelled to widen the width a bit and with the 1590G I also dremelled 2 corner posts leaving just a lip to fit a magnet and the 1550P case I dremelled all 4 corner posts leaving just a lip for the magnet.  Was a major pita but worth it for a small hand friendly mod.

With both builds, I snipped the pins of the Raptor board flush with the edge.  With the 1550P case I stacked all parts (resistors, zener, caps, P-FET, fuses, etc) and wiring on the board and flush with the edges.  With the 1590G case I adhered the voltmeter to the top of the battery holder and put the P-FET and fuses under the voltmeter and the Raptor board along the side.

Avani-S Raptor using 1590G case...

Avani-M Raptor using 1550P case...

I'm super disappointed with the paint job.  I bought the Penny Vein color from pedalpartsplus.com.  It's a gorgeous color but after a week or so of vaping with it and handling the paint has turned splotchy, especially the area that snugs into my hand.  major bummer.

So... I bought the 1550P black textured powder coated case from digikey that Hammond makes and now I have a ninja Avani Raptor...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:20:53 AM by mamu »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Avani Raptor 20A 120W...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
Super work there mamu. Most excellent mods  :rockin smiley:

Offline jonas44

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
Cool finish on the boxes

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Absolutely perfect sized enclosure P

must build one day lol...  ;hubba;
loving the tiny mods now, 1st wanted enormous now no,  gimme lil itty bittys..

Niiice build Mamu I read about on ecf wow that's labor intensives
wonder if they can cast without the screw  mounts, special order hmn..

I think I am gonna drill mine out then grind the lil bits left then solder on the magnets

urs so neat mine will not be lol... maybe  :Thinking:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
I wonder if it will eat thru polyurethane.
probably so with those tank cracking juices its so thin and then caustic reaction with those type juices.

I drip on pants spotting em early am, by late afternoon spot is gone,  juice has migrated thru cloth to shiny spot on skin its amazingly thin stuff.

Like brake oil get some on your car paint it will eventually lift it...

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
Yeah two things in modding I hate most, paint and glue.  It's pretty hard to find a paint that holds up well to finger grease and juice and the general knocking around a mod has to endure.  I found one, but I have to bake it on there.  It's an engine paint. 

Anyway, beautiful work as always.

Offline Neon711

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
I have fallen in love with a 1550. Simple and beautiful. Just stunning.

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
done done and done  woot!!  :laughing:

Avani 3D Raptor - 81mm x 58mm x 25mm.

Raptor 20A 120W
Input and output voltage display
Reverse polarity protection via externally added P-channel MOSFET
Input overcurrent protection via externally added PTC fuses
6v (loaded) low voltage cutoff via externally added zener diode

Case and voltmeter bezel printed on the Ultimaker 2.  Case material is bronzefill and bezel material is ABS.  After printing finishing for the case with maroon scotch brite (thanks Dino!), then fine steel wool, then 2 coats clear coat, then buffed with Barkeeper's Friend (thanks Nin!).

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
You really got it going on now with your new 3D printer.
Marvelous work girl. It came out spectacular. No more buying boxes or bezels.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Very cool

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »
Thanks breaktru and Jasen!

yeah I am stoked - no more dremelling, searching for cases, or buying my bezels at shapeways.  Life is good!!  :yes"

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »
Mamu, are you having those printed at a local shop or online? I designed an enclosure a bit more involved then yours with built in cradles for the boards but the cost from Shapeway and Sculpteo is about $40 which is a bit steep even though my design is AWESOME!!!! ;)
My DNA and charging board cradles, battery sleeve and fire button components are $16 plus tax and shipping bringing them to $24

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 02:07:03 AM »
Awesome clone Mamu

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 03:29:14 AM »
Mamu, are you having those printed at a local shop or online? I designed an enclosure a bit more involved then yours with built in cradles for the boards but the cost from Shapeway and Sculpteo is about $40 which is a bit steep even though my design is AWESOME!!!! ;)
My DNA and charging board cradles, battery sleeve and fire button components are $16 plus tax and shipping bringing them to $24

I made it in my home with my 3D printer.  shapeways aint gettin no moar $$$ from me.  :laughing:

Awesome clone Mamu

lol yeah I used what I liked best about the Hammond 1550P - the size and the shape and the snap on magnet lid and eliminated what I hated - the tilt to the case that makes the atty lean and the extensive dremmelling I had to do.  I increased the wall thickness to 2mm instead of 1.5mm and gave myself a few mm extra width for everything to fit and modified the lid for no through hole.  Was a good run for me with my 1st 3D printed case. 

I was thinking about 3D printing my JAX mod with the rounded flask look I really like that look and how it feels in the hand, but I saw that Vapor Flask and didn't want people to think I copied them even though I did my JAX mod first using that 3x 18650 case.  oh well lol.

but yeah - now I have ideas rolling around in my head of what I can do with design and layout and it's going to be major fun.  :yes"

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
I had posted a bunch of ideas in my above post and then deleted them

it was basically a hanna modz idea set with the countersinking of buttonz and 510

yeah its kinda hard making a new mod idea set

tube mod like the zna with a raptor on the bottom batts would be the 1st mod i would make lol
I really like that design

Yeah Mamu wont be happy you cloned her mod  :thumbsup:   :laughing2:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
That's the first mod enclosure I've seen done with filament printer, came out really nice.  It's kind of tricky with those to get a really good looking print like that.  I have a Solidoodle which is similar and I make little parts with it, but I haven't made a mod enclosure with it yet.  I'm still paying to get mine done at a shop with SLS, there's a pretty difference in heat tolerance and strength but it's relatively pricey.

The one down side is you're limited to ABS which doesn't have the best heat tolerance, but the material is pretty strong.  It's not free since the filament is kind of expensive and you can go through it pretty fast especially if you make mistakes.  I had a link at one point for a machine that allows you to make your own filament which brings that cost down a lot.

In any case, it's really nice to be able to make your own parts.  You nailed it with that one, can't even tell it was done on a filament printer.  The only giveaway is the inside of the case where you can just slightly see the filament runs.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 04:17:12 AM »
The bronzefill filament is 80% real bronze powder/20% PLA. I figure it has enough real bronze in it to overcome the low temp melt point of PLA.  Will see how it holds up.

Here's where I bought it... http://colorfabb.com/bronzefill#.VA6xg6PNAis

The bronzefill was a major pita to get the settings right for my print though. I wasted a lot of material with trial runs and tinkering with the settings, then finally got to the point with the settings where it printed perfect. It comes out from the printer with a dull, hard clay look. Finishing the surface with sanding and buffing it now looks like metal, feels like metal and is uber smooth to the touch like metal, and packs the weight that metal has.  I didn't do anything to the inside of the case though, so it has the straight from the printer look.

I have no doubt ColorFabb will come out with aluminum or ss soon and gawd I'd die for titanium lol.

Here's what it looks like straight from the printer... then what it looks like after sanding and buffing and rounding the corners and edges some during sanding...

I also got the woodfill from ColorFabb, but have some concerns with it. With it being 80% PLA/20% wood fiber I'm not sure of the melting point and it's not sturdy like ABS and bronzefill, so would need to increase the wall thickness to maybe 3mm or so.

It's pretty though - feels like wood, looks like wood, and smells like wood, sands like wood, and stains like wood, but as is with 2mm walls it seems fragile so would need to increase the wall thickness.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:23:17 AM by mamu »

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »
Beautiful mod. Really interesting to learn of this new 3d printing material. Amazing work as always.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
Interesting info about the material.  I'm familiar with the use of fillers in various plastics, but didn't know you can get the filament with various fills.  That  provides some really nice options.

I checked out the printer you're using online since I could see the make in the photo.  It's definitely a lot nicer than mine, though it's also considerably more expensive.  Mine makes pretty good prints, but your prints look better. 

One question I have, in the first photo with the part in the machine, it looks like you are laying filament with a gap between the printing base and the part.  My printer can't do that.  I would have to print that part from the other side.  Otherwise, I get sags in the filament runs.  Is your printer able to do that?

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:08 AM »
Thanks David and Craig!

I'm not sure what you're referring to Craig.  Are you talking about the thin line of filament that surrounds the case but does not touch the case?  If so, that's called a skirt and the purpose for that is to prime the extruder and get the filament flowing before printing the actual part.  It also let's me make sure the nozzle is at a good height to print that 1st layer and abort the print before it gets too far if I need to make any adjustments.  I have the option to print one layer or several layers of the skirt and anywhere from 3mm to 10mm away from the part.

Other options include to do a brim or rast so that the 1st layer of the part has better adhesion and sticks to the build plate, but I don't need to do either of those. 

I set those options - skirt, brim, rast - as well as print speed, layer thickness, infill, etc, in the Cura slice and send software.  Cura is a free slice and send software program that generates the gcode the printer needs to print a part and is uber easy to learn.  It can be downloaded from the Ultimaker web site.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
No, not the skirt.  I'm aware of that requirement.  Not a big deal, just looks like you're doing something I can't do with mine, but nothing to spend a lot of time on trying to explain.  I use different software with mine, but it provides similar options.  There's not too many ways to skin a cat with these printers.  I'm sure the options are similar between them.  The software I use seems easy enough, it's the settings that can be a pain to work out.

Offline berju

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 02:13:44 AM »
Hello mamu,

really like your Avani-M Raptor using 1550P case mod.

Have you plan to do some for sell ?

Very good work.

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Hello mamu,

really like your Avani-M Raptor using 1550P case mod.

Have you plan to do some for sell ?

Very good work.

Thanks berju.

Sorry, no plans to sell.  Breaktru has a great modding forum here with lots of schematics and help.  Time for you to build one it's great to vape with a mod you made yourself.  :yes"

Offline Dropsomegears

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
I wish I had 30% of your skill. And that switch too. Where did you get the switch? Nice and small!!

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »
Saw this DIY tutorial thought of you and Craig with your baller printers,. I  need one of those for a car audio project I am working on..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qByAGrbmS8

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »
That's cool, usually it's the sandpaper, but that's a much cleaner way to do it.

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
And now we're about to have copperFill available for our home 3D printers - CopperFill

As for durability with my Avani bronzefill 3D printed case - last week I tripped and dropped <shudder :laughing:> the mod onto our concrete driveway - not a crack or even a dent, only a small scratch in one corner is all.

Offline dravell

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 01:30:09 AM »
Ive been hearing about this stuff for the past week, gonna have to try it out. How expensive is the media?

Offline dillon4126

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:57 AM »
Hey mamu, big fan here. I'm just wondering what switch and heatshrink you use on your avani-s raptors. Thanks :D

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
You can buy a package of the assorted sizes of heat shrink at Radio Shack - it has all the sizes you need to do a Raptor mod, except the board.  For the board I use PVC shrink tube - 26mm I think.

For Avani-S, the switch is MSW-1202 from mitek.

For Avani-M, the switch is 556-B from gama electronics.

Offline screwfunk

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »
I am just in awe of your abilities. To fit that so elegantly into those smaller boxes just baffels my mind. Just the fact alone that the chip under that wrapping is perfectly squared off is just crazy.... So good Soo good..

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, screwfunk  :thankyou:

Offline screwfunk

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »
The knob you have for that Pot on the G box. You would not happen to have a PN for that would you. I really like it.

Sam

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
The knob you have for that Pot on the G box. You would not happen to have a PN for that would you. I really like it.

Sam

Here ya go: http://www.tme.eu/en/details/ca9m9067/trimmers-knobs/acp/9067/#

ETA: oh... you said the G box.  That POT knob is custom modded from a guitar double-flanged button.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Avani Raptor 20A 120W...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx