gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 08:09:35 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Dual Coil eJuice Tank Mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dual Coil eJuice Tank Mod  (Read 93932 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Dual Coil eJuice Tank Mod
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
I was not fond of eJuice Tanks having tried some. I like vaping with the Smoke-Tech Dual Coil Cartomizer so I put one in a tank.
They are easy and cheap to make. You can find D.C. Carto, 5 for $10 to $14, Polycarbonate tubing is $2.52 a foot and the Danco washers are 10 for a $1.50.
You can cut the tube larger to cover the whole Carto shaft or use the shorter D.C. atty. I used XL Cartos, 1.6 ohms.
I cut the carto like shown in the video: http://youtu.be/L533IiCTTvI

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:18:49 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline breaktru_software

• Administrator
Re: Dual Coil eJuice Tank Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
I wasn't going to do a how to, just showing a tank. It's basically a photo example.

Home Depot for the rubber washers. Bevel the outer edge that slips into the tube or you won't get it in. (or bevel the tube) and lube w/ VG.

Any hardware store for the metal 7/8" O.D. washers, I had some in my garage. The best fit were one's I cut with a 1" hole saw from an old Router Cable Box. The inside cut an exact 7/8" thin washer.

McMaster-Carr
8585K61 Polycarbonate Round Tube 7/8" OD, 3/4" ID, Clear
These won't crack like the acrylic tubes.

I'm not going to link to a particular vendor for the Cartomizers. Unless they send me a case or two for free...
Many vendors are selling them. Some vendors are sold out.

Offline asnider123

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
Most excellent my friend, you're the man (again). You have inspired me .. gotta work on this ... how does the carto seal, is it a really tight fit thru the hole in the faucet washer (I assume)?

I like how you can slide your carto out and stick in another, kinda like the liquinizer (liquinator??)

;D :D ;D ;) :D ;D :D ;D

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
Thanks Al, I use my dremel with a cone grinding stone to open the center hole of the faucet washer. It's as tight as you want it to be. Absolutely no leaks, even upside down. Just don't over fill the inside of the carto when you first saturate the carto filler material when using a New carto. The filler needs to be wet and not puddled so not to burn the filler. Once wet no need to ever add additional juice inside the carto. The tank takes care of that. You can fill the tank entirely.
I use VG for lube on the carto and Danco washers. Yes exactly like the Liquinator.

Offline charming

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Tell me more on cutting the cartomizer tube.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Look at the liquinator video first (first post above). When you cut the carto with your dremel, don't go all the way through. Just enough and use a pick to pull out the rest of the metal out. This way you won't damage the inside of your carto.
I slice three slots around. The first one I made I used one slot but found that it did not fill fast enough if you're chain vaping and I burned the carto due to not enough liquid saturating the filler material fast enough.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
Just came off the work bench and tried using 1/2" Danco washers instead of the 1/2L washers shown in the photo, they work great and much easier to push in. No need to bevel.

The 1/2" will fall thru the tube but if you ream the center washer hole smaller, your carto or atty will expand the outer washer dimensions making a perfect fit. I didn't need to add an additional washer as shown in the photo, just the 1/2" washer.

After reaming the washer out, slide one washer on near the top of the carto with the aid of VG lube, slide in the polycarb tube and then the bottom washer on the carto/atty.
Push in the top washer into the tube lubed w/ VG, fill the tube w/ juice then push in the bottom washer.
Slowly wet the inside filler material of the carto w/ juice being careful not to pool it up (or it will leak a bit).  You want the filler to be thoroughly wet but not spilling into the center hole.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »
I'm just doing what everybody else is doing. There are so many out there and I just jumped on board. Alan's got a great tank, Gummy Bear, Scubabatdan, etc.....
I was rather later joining in because I was turned off w/ tanks having bought the Map and Storm tanks and the Clearomisers. Didn't like the taste and they sometimes leaked. I swore I would only drip after that. Guess I was wrong. This is now my only way to vape accessory.

P.S.
I'm not taking credit for this. I didn't come up with it first, just stuck a Dual Coil in and used info on ECF, although I didn't find an exactly what to do tutual. Just kinda figured it out with what was available.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm a little tone deaf today....

Did you say that you're gonna make a new YouTube video showing everybody how to make your Tank?   :D ;D :o ::) :P

Offline wwwest

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
VID-EE-OH, VID-EE-OH, VID-EE-OH, VID-EE-OH

Offline mjacksonrigg

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
That looks like something I can do.
I love the Dual Coils. In a tank? fantastic.
Home Depot, here I come...

Offline vapemistress

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
Dual Coils are all the rage as well as tanks.
Combining them both is brilliant.

Online Avamil

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
Another hats off to breaktru.
Why would I want to pay $25 for a tank when this is so cheap and better to make.

Offline asnider123

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »
Hi Dave, how much was shipping on the tubing? I know 2.50 a foot is good, but not if there's $25 shipping charges. Thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
I bought 2 feet, shipping was 4.72

Offline asnider123

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
I bought 2 feet, shipping was 4.72

Cool, I ordered 2 ft myself, now to find those faucet washers :)

Offline asnider123

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
Breaktru .. did you build it without the metal washer? about how thick are the 1/2" Danco washers? Thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »
1/2L are 1/8" thick and 25/32" O.D. Need to bevel. It's 1/32" bigger than the 7/8" polycarbonate tube.
I crazy glued the metal washer to the Danco.
After reaming out the center hole, squeezing it into the tube closes the center hole tighter so re-ream once inside the tube.
Gluing the metal to Danco washer can be a hit and miss a few of my attempts were not successful. While forcing the washers into the tube I had a couple come apart. Don't over squeeze the washers together when gluing because your are expanding the rubber washer.

The 1/2" washer is 1/8" thick and exactly 3/4" O.D.. Like I mentioned above, if you under ream the center hole, the O.D. will expand when pushing the carto in for a snug fit and NO metal washer can be used. If you glue the metal washer on, you will inhibit the expansion of the Danco washer.

I was unsuccessful in finding a Q Slip Joint washer the size I need. It would be like this:

You can use a cone washer but doesn't look good IMHO.

The more I made the easier and more successful it became. I'm sure you will develop your own techniques which we would like to hear about when you start cranking out your own tanks. Keep us informed Alan.

Edit:
I made one 1/2L with a larger O.D. Danco washer glued on instead of the metal washer.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
Word of Advise:

Okay, I wanted some back up Dual Coil Cartos. The original vendor ran out so I ordered elsewhere.
Just got them today and guess what, they are longer and much wider in diameter.

Both vendors advertized as: "510 Dual Coil Stainless Mega Cartomizer" (by Smoke-Tech)

So with this in mind, buy from the same vendor so not to have to cut additional size end caps.

Online Squance

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
Outstanding idea, thank you sir

Offline Tameron

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
Well I got my parts and I made a couple of Tanks thanks to breaktru.

I had a hard time pushing in the rubber washers. I had to bevel it even more and it finally fit good.
Also make sure that the bevel is very smooth and that you remove the burr left on the poly tube after it is cut.
I didn't realize that there was a slight burr at first.
No leaks at all. This suck is nice and tight. Dual Coils ROCK!

Offline asnider123

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
Dave, how do you cut the tubing? Noticed Tameron saying there was a burr after cutting .. is that from some type of tubing cutter?

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:41 PM »
I think that Tameron was referring to a 45 degree cone-shaped Dremel grinding stone that caused burrs during beveling?

And I was gonna ask the same question about cutting with a tubing type cutter or a hacksaw??

Also too, has anybody tried soldering/gluing a 510 extension into the bottom making cartomizer replacement easier and less prone for an accidental spill?

Grimm Green's video talked about the Liquinator being a catastrophe waiting to happen if you pulled on the tube instead of your vaporizer, it would pull the carto right out of it and spill juice everywhere.

Does the carto slide freely like the Liquinator?

And with the extension in there, is there any reason that you're slotting horizontally and not vertically?

I would think that a vertical slots or multiple holes, like Alans carto MOD, would be better at keeping it wet, wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:55:44 PM by timesarerough »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
I use a Metal Pipe Cutter for a perfect all around cut. Make sure the cutting wheel is not dull. Mine is pretty new. I only used it to cut copper previously. I use masking tape on the tube so I don't get scratches from the pipe cutter rollers.
Best to put a solid object inside the tube prior to cutting. It does leave a ridge on the inside of the tubing but can be easily removed with a grinding stone. Use a slow/medium speed so not to MELT the plastic.
A hacksaw would work. It would also leave burrs and I'm sure that I probably wouldn't cut it perfectly straight around. Don't want a cock-eyed tank. LOL
Also when drilling out the rubber for the atty, use a slower speed and cool with water so not to melt or soften the rubber, don't want anything leaching out of the rubber. Not sure if it does but I like to take precaution. Don't want the juice to absorb any rubber taste.

As far as the carto or atty sliding in and out of the washers depends on how much you ream them. Mine are real tight and takes some effort to move them.
Grimm Green should also mention about Automobiles being a catastrophe waiting to happen. If you step on the gas instead of the brake.... well you know the rest.
Anyway, that would never happen to my tanks because of how tight they are. I read the Liquinator people are having that issue, seems like the washer I.D.'s that they sent out are just too wide. Remember, you are in control of how it slides in and out. Slowly increase the I.D.. Drill and fit, Drill and fit, step by step.

Vertical slots sound like they will work. My 3 Horizontal work good. Never had an issue. Carto filler is always well soaked.
My thought on Verital slots are, as the juice depletes, only a small area of the vertical slot is exposed to the remainder of the juice especially at the bottom of the tank. I can suck up the entire tank with no remaining juice left.

Alan uses the 510 ext on his CE2 tank which is a great idea with change out. But the D.C. really doesn't need it. Beside, don't want to add extra height.
The more tanks you make, the easier it becomes to figure out what works better. It's your tank so experiment on what works best for you.

Edit:
Just thought of something about slots or holes.
I don't want to try it with a new carto but slots or holes including vertically that are above the juice level may produce too much air flow in this type of Tank setup.
Perhaps someone would like to sacrifice a carto to try it out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:10:43 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline Tameron

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
No, the burr was from cutting the tubing not the grinding stone. The stone fixed the burr/ridge.

Online Squance

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
I put together some Tanks last today.
I left off the metal washer because my SmokTech cartos were wider than the washer's I.D. and didn't want to drill them out.
Also looks nice w/o the metal washer and everything is nice and tight, leak free.
Fantastic vape from these things, thanks dude. Saved me a bundle not buying store bought tanks. I had a couple of Map tanks that leaked. IMHO these are much better.

Offline Tameron

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »

Edit:
Just thought of something about slots or holes.
I don't want to try it with a new carto but slots or holes including vertically that are above the juice level may produce too much air flow in this type of Tank setup.
Perhaps someone would like to sacrifice a carto to try it out.

I'm a cheap S.O.B.  ;D , I wouldn't spare not even one carto, although they are cheap enough.
The air flow thing sounds reasonable. Makes sense to me.  :D

Offline asnider123

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
I got 2 ft of the tubing .. now to find those Danco 1/2" flat washers. Tried my local hardware, no luck. Will try larger hdwe stores locally, may have to hit Lowe's next time we go to the "big city" :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
I got 2 ft of the tubing .. now to find those Danco 1/2" flat washers. Tried my local hardware, no luck. Will try larger hdwe stores locally, may have to hit Lowe's next time we go to the "big city" :)

I bought some washers from Hardware and Tools but shipping wash $9 and change.
If I knew that they had beveled, I would have bought some.
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?w=danco+1%2F2L

Offline asnider123

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
I bought some washers from Hardware and Tools but shipping wash $9 and change.
If I knew that they had beveled, I would have bought some.
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?w=danco+1%2F2L

I was looking at these but not sure if they're the right ones. 2 bucks for 20 plus 3.68 shipping. Cheaper than the gas to drive to the city :)

http://www.amazon.com/DANCO-35382W-FAUCET-WASHER-LARGE/dp/B000H5WYDE

Offline asnider123

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »
how about drilling a hole part-way thru the top washer, giving you a thin spot that you could use a hypo to refill the tank without having to partially disassemble?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
how about drilling a hole part-way thru the top washer, giving you a thin spot that you could use a hypo to refill the tank without having to partially disassemble?

That would work too Alan. Or like the Gummy Tanks

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
Why not just tap a small hole and insert a counter-sunk brass screw instead?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »
Why not just tap a small hole and insert a counter-sunk brass screw instead?

That sounds good too T.

I kinda like it as it is, having taken them apart several times, I've got it down pat now. Besides, each time I finish a tank full I give the insides a washer with warm to cool water and dishwashing liquid. I just blow out the carto and don't wash them... as yet.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
BTW timesarerough, I like your photo. Is that your passport photo?

Offline asnider123

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
Dave, I have a bunch of 2.4 XL clearomizers to use up before I buy more cartos. Do you think the 1/2 will seal adequately around a clear cart without busting thwe clearo?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
I think it will crush the clearo at the top

Offline asnider123

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
I think it will crush the clearo at the top
I was kinda concerned about that .. guess I need to get some metal cartoz

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
BTW timesarerough, I like your photo. Is that your passport photo?

Naaaa, that's a picture of your Mama when she saw you come out.....

Would ya like to see your Daddy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gteEe1d-rQo
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:46:09 PM by timesarerough »

Offline asnider123

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
I've got a bunch of prefilled's .. I wonder how you remove the paper covering from the carto... They would prob work fine once they re used up!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »
I've got a bunch of prefilled's .. I wonder how you remove the paper covering from the carto... They would prob work fine once they re used up!

I've read a post on ECF once but can't find it now.
Perhaps some abrasive and then some lighter fluid dabbed on a paper towel for glue removal.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Naaaa, that's a picture of your Mama when she saw you come out.....

Would ya like to see your Daddy?

Ha, Ha, Ha

Offline asnider123

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
Hey Dave .. I finished me Clearomizer Tank Mod based on your dual-coil tank. It works just fine :) I am gonna start another thread cause it uses an XL Clearo and because it's hypo fillable.

Thanks for the great idea. It is as good as my Godzillamizer V1 PLUS it absolutely does not leak!! The GZ could not lay flat down, it oozed juice out around the drip tip. This one is sealed all around!! Even better!!

Alan

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
Hey Dave .. I finished me Clearomizer Tank Mod based on your dual-coil tank. It works just fine :) I am gonna start another thread cause it uses an XL Clearo and because it's hypo fillable.

Thanks for the great idea. It is as good as my Godzillamizer V1 PLUS it absolutely does not leak!! The GZ could not lay flat down, it oozed juice out around the drip tip. This one is sealed all around!! Even better!!

Alan

Great Alan, go for it.

Offline asnider123

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
Check my revisited Godzillamizer v3 .. had to tear it down because of oozing problems, this time it's solid  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline charming

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
I got my parts in and these D.C. tanks are just marvelous.
I didn't want to go with the CE2's because I had tried them a while ago and never like them. I've gone thru a lot of them. Bad taste and they didn't last that long.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »
UPDATE:

I've heard people complaining about siphoning of juice from the bottom hole of their cartos on various types and styles.
My tanks polycarbonate tubes are cut to 1 inch length and NEVER had that happen.
Recently I used a Smoke Tech from a different vendor. The carto was much wider so I cut a tube to 1 1/2 inches.
After several vapes it started leaking and determined it was siphoning. I chalked it up to a crappy carto from this particular vendor.
Today I tried the same carto in a shorter 1 inch tube and guess what, NO siphoning.
So keep your tubes to 1 inch and you will be leak free.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:20:44 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline asnider123

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
Breaktru .. I haven't tried DC cartos so I am only guessing, I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the holes in your carto. My CE2-based Godzillamizer V3 revised has a 1.5" tube, has been going strong for 2 days, not a single drip or wet spot, leakproof. I'm very satisfied with this one  :D

By asnider123 at 2011-08-31

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
Okay...I'm dying to know why you have a syringe in your tank, Al?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Okay...I'm dying to know why you have a syringe in your tank, Al?
When sucking on it don't suffice, you can always inject it into the blood stream

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Dual Coil eJuice Tank Mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx