gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 04:28:51 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: DID Copy-Genisis Atomizer Tutorial
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DID Copy-Genisis Atomizer Tutorial  (Read 44297 times)

Offline fsors

• PV Master
DID Copy-Genisis Atomizer Tutorial
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
DID Copy Genisis Atomizer Tutorial
The fsors way!

This is an Copy of the DID Genisis Atomizer
I received it free from Altoids, via my bro Urq, in trade for a how to and review
Also he wants to know if people are interested as he will be offering them for sell
So let's get to it shall we?

Pictures 1-6 = DID as I received it

Pictures 7-8 = Length (45mm) and width (24mm) of the mesh you will want to measure and cut with scissors

Picture 9 = mesh cut

Picture 10= open paperclip (large and straighten) roll mesh 2mm diameter, first fold one edge over then roll the mesh around the paperclip towards folded edge. Oxidized mesh with torch 3 times quenching it each time in tap water, then use vg and saturate wick and set a blaze with a lighter repeat 3 times (not pictures as there are many videos and pics on the method freely available)

Pictures 11-12 = checking wick diameter may need tightening and if so roll gently between fingers make sure paperclip is still inserted.

Pictures 13-14 = Prepare the wire: I like A1 32 AWG Kanthal. Cut about 3 inches and use a cig lighter to heat each section of the wire for 1 second red hot. Then wipe between fingers. (not pictured)

Pictures 15-16 = Use 1.5mm allen wrench and loosen slightly the neg screw (the one closest to the wick hole) Twist a couple turns of wire on and tighten with allen wrench make it good and snug.

Pictures 17-19 = insert wick do not bottom out the wick make sure it is straight and a mm or so off the bottom of the tank. Wind three wraps of coil around the wick (make sure the paperclip is still inserted in the wick) Open top brass nut a bit and twist coil wire around 2 times then re-tighten.

Pictures 20-24 = with the ends of the coils wires dangling free and not touching anything, put it on a device wet the coil with ejuice and fire it check for hot spots and adjust if need be but not while firing the mod! When you are satisfied, trim the dangling coil ends very close to the posts. If you have hot spots nudge the coil with a toothpick while not firing repeat until no hot sports are present.

Pictures 25-32 = Fill with ejuice I got 4mls+ in her. You can use the fill screw to do this or as I do go through the center of the wick with a syringe. Check the fire again and if all's well, puth cap on lining the airhole up with the wick and take a toke or two. Go ahead blow some clouds like me!

Pictures 33-51 = Pour yourself a drink sit at your bar and play around with your new toy! Put it on different mods check out the performance. I can say this performs as well as any Genisis Atomizer out there. So you better get one! Or one of mine (friends only)

Cheers,

fsors
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:05:31 PM by Breaktru »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
Re: DID Copy-Genisis Atomizer Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
Thanks for moving this to atties Dave

Offline Dungog

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Nice guide i might be using it if i get what i ordered the other day, http://www.discountvapers.com/the-griffin-rebuildable-atomizer-tank/ is what i found. The DID, Zenesis and Cobra things are to expensive to me :(

Only big problem when i buy from outside EU and costs is over 14$, it can be stopped in customs and i get to pay 25% of costs plus around 30$ in customs handling to get the item.

Kenneth

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
Nice job, great tutorial fsors  :applaude:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Nice job, great tutorial fsors  :applaude:

Thanks Dave You should try one!

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
Nice guide i might be using it if i get what i ordered the other day, http://www.discountvapers.com/the-griffin-rebuildable-atomizer-tank/ is what i found. The DID, Zenesis and Cobra things are to expensive to me :(

Only big problem when i buy from outside EU and costs is over 14$, it can be stopped in customs and i get to pay 25% of costs plus around 30$ in customs handling to get the item.

Kenneth

Wow hope it gets through to you mate. The price should come down dramatically as the flood rises.
Thanks Cherrio,

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
Hi,

I have a mini did clone,
the only thing I hate about it is that the juice tanks is made of metal I cant see thru it,...

can I replace how and what?

thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »
Hi,

I have a mini did clone,
the only thing I hate about it is that the juice tanks is made of metal I cant see thru it,...

can I replace how and what?

thanks

I have the same RBA and bought a clear tank for it at Discount Vapers
Pick up some spare O-rings while your at it O-Rings for Clear Tank They now sell the RBA called the Griffen (did clone) with a glass tank.
The did clone is sold by many a vendor and marketed with different names.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:36:50 PM by Breaktru »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
I have the same RBA and bought a clear tank for it at Discount Vapers
Pick up some spare O-rings while your at it O-Rings for Clear Tank They now sell the RBA called the Griffen (did clone) with a glass tank.
The did clone is sold by many a vendor and marketed with different names.

yeah figured but the tank on your link would cost me double just to send it over here..

thinking more of DIY..

btw,,

I took the thing apart and I am guessing that my steel wall (part I want replaced with glass) kinda acts like the negative connection of the atty.
I took the dang thing apart....just one straight positive pole in the middle...

btw breaktru..
I ve been a fan of your tut and work since the evercool mod and the double barrel mod of your came out..

I just cant seem to replicate your double barrel mod due the lack of access for those shell...
I am in the Philippines btw.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
yeah figured but the tank on your link would cost me double just to send it over here..

thinking more of DIY..

btw,,

I took the thing apart and I am guessing that my steel wall (part I want replaced with glass) kinda acts like the negative connection of the atty.
I took the dang thing apart....just one straight positive pole in the middle...

btw breaktru..
I ve been a fan of your tut and work since the evercool mod and the double barrel mod of your came out..

I just cant seem to replicate your double barrel mod due the lack of access for those shell...
I am in the Philippines btw.

I'm sure if we look around we can find another vendor selling the clear tank. Would a European vendor be cheaper for shipping to the Philippines?

The center tube makes the ground (neg) connection and the pin inside which is insulated with grommets make the pos connection. Check the grommets and make sure they are in the right places. I just had mine completely apart this morning. Correction: the center tube screws into the bottom base and the top plate. This carries your ground (neg) connection from your  atty/battery connector to the top plane where you connect the coil winding (neg) via small allen screw.

Thanks Zeus, glad you like the calculator and my evercool and Side x Side mod. Instead of using a shell casing, you can use a copper or brass hollow tube or something like it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:26:46 PM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
The Griffin from Discount Vapers is simply a cheap clone of the mini-DID atomizer and I usually refer to it that way, a mini-DID clone.  They go by various names from various vendors, but they all come from the same Chinese maker.  I should probably just spring for the original, but the cheapskate in me keeps me coming back to the clone.

I've been using the mini-DID clone for some time now.  What I like about it so much is the compact size.  It looks decent on a smaller battery unit.  It's not a superbly made atomizer by any means, but it's cheap and it works well.

I have some gripes with the mini-DID clone and I do some rework on them.  Other than that, they work quite well for me.  I buy them from Discount Vapers with a clear tank so I don't have the complaint about a metal tank.

The rework I do as follows;

Drill the air hole to 1.6mm (that's actually big, most people prefer something closer to 1.2mm)
  File the cap so the hole lines up with the wick
  Change out the bottom center post insulator with a hard one
  Put a washer under the bottom nut on the center post so the nut does not tear up the soft insulator on top.
  File the tank ends so the end caps screw down all the way without pinching the tank and stressing it.

They're still not perfect and I have some issues with them.  The clear tank they come with is thin and doesn't hold up well.  It can crack or expand over time from the heat resulting in leaking past the o-rings.  I actually had a couple Cobra clones that use a much thicker clear poly tank with the same inner diameter.  With some reduction in the length of the tank, I was able to fit that one onto the mini-DID clone.  It looks a little funny with the tank being wider than the cap, but I'm pretty sure this one is going to last for the duration.  It's a very thick tank.

One issue that I can't seem to resolve is that juice leaks over time into the center chamber where the post goes through.  I don't like the way it corrodes the metal in there so I'm relegated to taking the unit apart on occasion to dry things out in there.  Just can't figure out how it's getting in there.

This is a cheap atomizer so it's just plated brass.  The metal and plating seems to hold up well so I have no issue with the material.  A positive is that brass is a very good electrical conductor so it reduces power loss in the connections.

This atomizer does not have an insulated wick hole.  For me, it's not a big deal since I use a silica sleeve on the wick.  I'm a big silica fan.  However for a bare metal wick, an insulated wick hole makes a huge difference in the ease of doing the insulation job on the coil.  I figured out you can insulate the wick by wrapping it in cigarette paper at the section where it goes through the hole.  It's worth the trouble, an insulated wick hole makes a night and day difference in the ease of doing a genny wick.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

The rework I do as follows;

Drill the air hole to 1.6mm (that's actually big, most people prefer something closer to 1.2mm)
  File the cap so the hole lines up with the wick
  Change out the bottom center post insulator with a hard one
  Put a washer under the bottom nut on the center post so the nut does not tear up the soft insulator on top.
  File the tank ends so the end caps screw down all the way without pinching the tank and stressing it.

I did a little modding myself when I first got it. Although not as much as you Craig, but it did help.
  I left the air hole because my preference is a tighter draw.
  I drilled out the wick hole for a wider wick.
  Put a washer like you between the bottom nut and insulator.
  Used a harder bottom center post insulator.
  Added a washer for the neg screw so not to pinch the Kanthal and makes it easier when tightening.

I have no leaks. Converting the metal tank to the glass clear tank requires a different set of O-rings sold at Discount Vapers.

A few months ago I tried the "Petar K" method of making a coil and wick. I have been very successful with preventing shorts and find it very simple and quick once you get the method down pat. The size of the wick depends on your wick hole and RBA length. I roll the wick on a paper clip not too tight and leave a hollow center. I don't cut the top of the wick. I make it the exact size needed before rolling so not to crush the wick. I like using 32ga Kanthal A1 @ 1.5 to 2.0 ohms. I spot weld NR wire on both ends using my Spark-O-Matic. The NR wire is my preference and not necessary.
If you see a hotspot (rare) when dry burning the coil on the wick, spin the wick to a different spot.

http://youtu.be/e9o-l9WalUs

The real Petar K video:

http://vimeo.com/48356854
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:50:51 PM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
I didn't know you could put a glass tank on one.  Where do you get the tank?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »
I didn't know you could put a glass tank on one.  Where do you get the tank?

Ooooppps! I meant Clear tank. Sorry craig

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
Hehe, you got me excited there for a minute :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »
Hehe, you got me excited there for a minute :)

I have mine together and filled. If you can measure your tank, here's a place that has glass tanks: IBTanked

I believe this glass tank will fit: DuD/Chid Tube

@OCD makes the tanks for IBTanked. OCD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:51:05 PM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
Good deal.  If and when the poly tanks I have fail or wear out, I'll get a glass tank.  Thanks for the link!

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
thanks for the prompt replies..
dunno if UK will ship cheaper...
have not looked into it...or ill just wait for my brother in law to get to the US or the UK whoever comes first,.,,

for the meantime,,,

since mine is still in that metal thing I just kinda figure it out,,,,take a paper and dip it...

as for the rubber thingies where do you get the rubber things?
I replaced the top part insulator with like an old 510 rubber thing from one of those old attys that were lying around...
just looking for what kind fits the bottom thou...

for clear tanks...
I had an idea kinda adopted it from an older project for ce2's

I plan to use like syringe tanks then find o rings big enough to fit those in....kinda will look thru my motorcycle parts for that thou...

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »
I kinda cleaned my did and dropped an insulator,not sure where its from, now took everything apart again,made a build but reads 0.0 on the vamo..
put the insu on the part where you can take off the base and the center pin...

where do I start fixing?

thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
I kinda cleaned my did and dropped an insulator,not sure where its from, now took everything apart again,made a build but reads 0.0 on the vamo..
put the insu on the part where you can take off the base and the center pin...

where do I start fixing?

thanks

The center pin has an insulator at the very bottom by the 510 connector and one at the very top under the knurled nuts to insulate the metal pin from the body. Sounds like the pin is shorting to the body.

Also: I've read some forums and users have reported that coil resistance of 1.3 ohms is the minimum for the Vamo. I don't know if that is true being I don't own an Vamo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:54:20 AM by Breaktru »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
that is what I initially guessed too.wanted to replace those crappy insulators...I tired local vape shops but they don't have em,i can just buy another one they said..

any suggestions like aside from buying the actual insulator online...anything like a substitute..
coz the o ring mine I replaced the orings with orings for a motorbike... fainting: cant_believe: freaked_out:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
that is what I initially guessed too.wanted to replace those crappy insulators...I tired local vape shops but they don't have em,i can just buy another one they said..

any suggestions like aside from buying the actual insulator online...anything like a substitute..
coz the o ring mine I replaced the orings with orings for a motorbike... fainting: cant_believe: freaked_out:

Guys are using a #60 O-ring bought from Home Depot's plumbing dept. and cutting them as shown:

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Guys are using a #60 O-ring bought from Home Depot's plumbing dept. and cutting them as shown:

these are for the white silicon thingies right???
sorry the pictures don't show up
(I hate our firewall)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
these are for the white silicon thingies right???
sorry the pictures don't show up
(I hate our firewall)
YES. The images show the two

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
YES. The images show the two

thanks...
aside from the home depot ones anything else?

I guess it was not just for me,for everyone else that's outside the us and uk if any and cant find something similar to it..

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
thanks...
aside from the home depot ones anything else?

I guess it was not just for me,for everyone else that's outside the us and uk if any and cant find something similar to it..

Try a plumbing supply or hardware store

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
I'M Back!  :rockin smiley: :popcorn: :rockin smiley:

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
update: thanks for the tip on the orings thou I was not able to find the said oring what I did was I used old insulators from old attys and carto's finally got it working.

such a bummer thou,

I mistakenly bought 40ga wire, 15-20 wraps I guess @1.4 ohm I vapes really poor compared to the 28ga wire..
not sure if I understood right but ideally I should get the same vape? with the same ohm rating?

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
update: thanks for the tip on the orings thou I was not able to find the said oring what I did was I used old insulators from old attys and carto's finally got it working.

such a bummer thou,

I mistakenly bought 40ga wire, 15-20 wraps I guess @1.4 ohm I vapes really poor compared to the 28ga wire..
not sure if I understood right but ideally I should get the same vape? with the same ohm rating?

:Thinking: 40 AWG with 15-20 wraps is really high ohms with the 28 AWG and the same wraps you will get lower ohms ..........think of it this way.....the lower the number on wire AWG the lower the ohms will be with the same amount of wraps

Offline jomurp

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
You need to pick up an ohm meter so you won't have to guess what you end up with  :yes"

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
yes get a multimeter all serious vapers should have one
http://www.myflukestore.com/c77/multimeters.php
 :rockin smiley:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 05:26:46 AM »
You don't need to spend that much.  An inexpensive brand name meter would be adequate.  One of the brands listed here would be fine.  Just don't buy one of those cheap Chinese no-name brands like you find on eBay or anywhere else (you see them at stores like Walmart too).  Those things are awful.  They can be horribly inaccurate.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:23 PM »
You don't need to spend that much.  An inexpensive brand name meter would be adequate.  One of the brands listed here would be fine.  Just don't buy one of those cheap Chinese no-name brands like you find on eBay or anywhere else (you see them at stores like Walmart too).  Those things are awful.  They can be horribly inaccurate.

True but I'm stickin with my Fluke. Good advise Craig! :rockin smiley:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 02:06:47 AM »
Well, Flukes are the best, but pricey.  Nothing wrong with buying a good one either.  I have a top of the line Extech, MM570A, but most people are not going to want to spend several hundred dollars on a DMM.  Usually they're looking to spend as little as possible, which is fine as long as you don't get a crap one.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
:Thinking: 40 AWG with 15-20 wraps is really high ohms with the 28 AWG and the same wraps you will get lower ohms ..........think of it this way.....the lower the number on wire AWG the lower the ohms will be with the same amount of wraps

weird thou..

15-20 wraps of 40, read like 1.7 ohms..
7 loops of 28 read like 1.6 ohms...

am I missing something or should I throw my meter out the window and my vamo?  scared:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
weird thou..

am I missing something or should I throw my meter out the window and my vamo?  scared:

meter might be crud try one of the ones craig suggested for a bargain and accurate readings 8)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
weird thou..

Your 40ga wire... what is it made of. Do you have a link to it so I can see the specs. Could be the resistance per millimeter/inch is very low

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
40 gauge makes no sense.  For American Wire Gauge (AWG), that's only 80 microns (80 millionths of a meter).  That's like the thickness of a hair from your head.  I've never see any wire that fine.  You're either using a different gauge system or you have your gauge numbers wrong.

You should be defining the thickness of your wires in terms of meters.  For example 32 AWG is .20mm or 200 microns.  Let's just kill that hideous American system of weights and measures wherever we can.  I say that as an American. 

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
sorry for the confusion,i too am confused,
I am no expert in measuring nor do I have the tools,consider me an average vaper...

here is how I purchased the wire.
went to a local store and asked for a 32 gauge wire,they said nothing is available,only thing they had was 40gauge said ok,.
handed me a thick wire..
like really thick....so I am guessing its not American measurement,
based on post it was thicker than my hair strand...

ill try to take a picture of them later when I get home...

here the thicker the wire less resistance...
well that's entirely true..thin wires requires me less coils
to get high ohms..
6 coild landed me on 1.6

a thicker coil 6 wraps is just like .
0.5 ohms...and that's the 40 gaue wire...

is my country going crazy? freaked_out: :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »
sorry for the confusion,i too am confused,
I am no expert in measuring nor do I have the tools,consider me an average vaper...

here is how I purchased the wire.
went to a local store and asked for a 32 gauge wire,they said nothing is available,only thing they had was 40gauge said ok,.
handed me a thick wire..
like really thick....so I am guessing its not American measurement,
based on post it was thicker than my hair strand...

ill try to take a picture of them later when I get home...

here the thicker the wire less resistance...
well that's entirely true..thin wires requires me less coils
to get high ohms..
6 coild landed me on 1.6

a thicker coil 6 wraps is just like .
0.5 ohms...and that's the 40 gaue wire...

is my country going crazy? freaked_out: :)

Is it resistance wire or regular NR wire.
Perhaps it's metric measurement like 0.40 which is the equivalent to 26 gauge American standard wire.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 05:48:50 AM »
That's really thick wire and would take a pretty big number of turns to get resistance above an Ohm.  1/2 Ohm for 6 turns sounds about right for .4mm wire.  Even so, they would have to be pretty big turns, at least 3mm in diameter.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
they did'nt say if it was nr or resistance wire.
diameter was a bout 2mm so i can have them register like 1.4 ohm...

how do i know my wires
up to know i basically just buy them without knowing exactly what they are the gauge more or less i just wrap and pop it on a meter to check resistance....

Online jonas44

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
The local store that you buy the wire, what type of store is it?
Typically Kanthal and Nichrome are use in heating applications and have resistance

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: DID Copy-Genisis Atomizer Tutorial

gfxgfx
gfx gfx