gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 06:59:22 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Hybrid SS Wick with Nextel
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hybrid SS Wick with Nextel  (Read 14490 times)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Hybrid SS Wick with Nextel
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »
I ordered some Nextel 312 sleeving in 1/16" last week and it showed up today so I've been trying it out.

Here's a photo of the setup I'm using.  It's working well for me.  Really happy with the performance, outstanding actually.

The Nextel sleeving is a bit tricky to work with.  It's pretty coarse and unravels easily.  I have to hit a length with a propane torch before cutting to set the braid so it doesn't unravel.  Also, torching removes any impurities (the stuff has an organic polymer treatment).

Nextel actually has a somewhat higher heat tolerance than pure silica since it's a special formulation of silica.  Handles a propane torch flame with no melting at all.  It remains supple even after liberal exposure to the torch flame.

That's a 32 AWG nichrome coil, works out to 2.1 Ohms.  I'm running it at 6 Volts.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Hybrid SS Wick with Nextel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
Nice Craig, thanks for posting   :rockin smiley:  I've noticed some people were using the Nextel sleeving but didn't give it much thought until I seen you use it, someone with a brain using it.  :laughing:
I see this on the 3M site: Nextel 312 Braided Sleeving is made from continuous Nextel 312 Alumina-Boria-Silica Fibers. It looks like it is used as insulation.

Are you wicking with it or just dripping. I know in the past you were using your RBA for dripping.

Offline vaporhead

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
You mention "Hybrid SS" in the subject line.
Does that mean the SS mesh is inside the Nextel? What gauge is it if it is.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
That's a mini-DID clone (a Chinese copy of a tank atomizer designed for an SS wick).  At the center of the Nextel sleeve, there's a 400 count SS wick running into a tank.  The SS wick runs the full length of the tank and is not heat treated at all.  Also, the wick is not tightly rolled.  I found it wicks better when it's looser.  In all respects, this is the best atomizer setup I've used, works amazing.

I actually took a turn out of the coil late last night out to drop the resistance to 1.7 Ohms.  I'm running it at 5.4 Volts now.  I've found my sweet spot with coil resistance to be as close to 1.8 Ohms as possible.

Here's a photo of the whole atomizer from before, that's with a fiberglass sleeve instead of a Nextel sleeve;

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:53:12 PM by CraigHB »

Online Aromaz

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »
 :thumbsup: How is the Hybrid holding out Craig? Any comments now that it's been in use for sometime? Did you tweak or changing anything or are you on to something new?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
Been using this setup since I made that post a couple months ago.  Really happy with the performance.  It's actually quite remarkable.

The caveat is you absolutely have to hit the stuff with a torch first to burn off the coating.  No problem though, it all burns away and there's no residual taste.  It's a bit tricky to work with since it can unravel easily, but once you get used to it, not a big deal.  The stuff has really good heat tolerance, it can be torched white hot and it won't melt or get brittle at all.

I do have to clean the coil every few tanks since the burnt stuff builds up like it does with any atomizer.  No problem though.  A rinse, a dry, and a dry burn takes care of it.  I probably run 100ml of juice before changing the sleeve.  It eventually gets to a point where it doesn't get all the way clean with a dry burn.  Otherwise, the mesh wick lasts forever since there's no heat treating it and it's not in contact with the coil.

Oh, one difference with that original photo is that I'm using 4 turns instead of 5 turns with 32 AWG nichrome 60.  It comes out to 1.6 Ohms and I run it around 5.2 Volts.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:34:12 PM by CraigHB »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »
So I got a hold of some 2mm Ekowool and tried it for a sleeving on a genny wick (photo below).  Works great.  I can't tell any difference in flavor or vapor production between that and the Nextel.  I'll have to use it a while to see if it holds up as well, but so far performance is pretty much the same.

Now the Ekowool has a much finer braid than the Nextel (photo below, Ekowool left, Nextel right).  That does a couple things.  For one, it makes it easier to work with since it doesn't unravel as easily.  I still have to torch the stuff to set the braid so there's no getting around that.  The other thing it does is make the wick thinner so my coil came out to 1.1 Ohms instead of the usual 1.2 Ohms (I've been using .4x.1mm ribbon wire with 4 turns for a couple months now).

At some point, I'm going to try it with an SS mesh core in my drippers.  I'll have to use a more narrow roll of mesh since the drippers don't have as much room for wick thickness, they're small drippers.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
Neat-O  :rockin smiley: Looks like a winner of a setup  :applaude:

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
id like to suggest here if anyone else is doing micro coils,instead of placing the wick in try having the wick out side,or the coil inside the Nextel,should be great.
its one of the great perks of doing microcoils,you can have long legs to work with and not worry about hotspots.

ive wondered since I can use Nextel/ekowool  outside just wondering if I can wick in cotton inside...but I guess that would flood? scared:

Offline horton

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
Craig..... Could you give a quick run down on how you get that tiny piece of Nextel or Ekowool on the end of the mesh and then get that nice neatly coil as well?  I've been trying to do the hybrid using 2 mm Ekowool with my gennys, but I end up with a hand full of fibers rather than a nice, neat set up like you have.  I  torch the Ekowool before trying to apply it to the mesh, but it still wants to unravel and I really am wondering if all my fingers suddenly have become thumbs!!  I do have some nerve damage in one hand and wonder if the slight finger tremors may be part of the problem, but rather than making excuses, I'd rather be making that nice hybrid wick you show.   
Any tips or suggestions you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks in advance...... horton

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
It can be a bit tricky to do these sleeved wicks.  Let me run through my assembly method for you.

Torch the Ekowool prior to cutting the initial piece.  You say you're torching it first so that should set the braid well.  You really don't have to heat the Ekowool all that much to set the braid.  Nextel requires a thourough torching, but that's to clean it good.  Ekowool is fairly clean and does not need as much heat applied.  It's also not as tolerant to heat as Nextel so you don't want to torch it any more than you have to.

Use an excess length to start.  I usually use at least 3/4 of an inch or maybe even an inch.  Use "flush cutters".  They do the best job of cutting without fraying the sleeve material.

Wet the sleeve piece with juice after cutting prior to handling it.  That will help keep it from unravelling and fraying. 

Slide the piece onto the mesh roll leaving some excess above and below the coil area.  If you make your mesh roll with a folded pieced putting the fold on top, you'll get a lot less snagging when sliding the sleeve down. 

Push the sleeved wick into the wick hole on the atomizer.  Work it down so there's a little excess sleeve material hanging over the base of the atomizer. 

Wrap your coil pulling on each end prior to tightening each terminal to get the wraps tight.  Drop an unfolded paper clip or appropriately sized drill bit down the center of the wick to give it stiffness when tightening the wire.

Use your flush cutters to trim the excess from the top and bottom of the wick. 

Wash the wick and coil with rubbing alcohol then dry.  You can dry quickly with compressed air if you have it.  You can alternately do a dry burn before the first use, but I prefer to wash it myself.  You have to do this since you get finger grease and dirt on it during assembly and it can take some time to get the icky taste out if you don't clean it prior to first use.

The 2mm Ekowool has a finer braid and stays together better.  The 3mm Ekowool has a braid almost identical to the Nextel.  It unravels more easily so you need to be more careful, but I get better performance at higher power levels with the heavier braid.  If you use lower power levels (<10W), the 2mm performs well and is easier to work with.

Okay, enjoy a great coil setup.  I actually prefer the performance of my sleeved wicks over a bare wick.  It's quieter and can gracefully handle more power.  Of course, the main benefit is it eliminates all electrical issues.

Offline horton

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed help, Craig.  I do have flush cutters and I see now why you suggest them.  Took my time and made a nice hybrid wick with your help and it's working dandy!!!  This will be my default method going forward.   Thank you once again....... horton

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
Welcome and good to hear it's working well for you.  Sleeved mesh wicks do work well.  You catch some flack from the purists, but I just don't see any down side. 

Been using this wick setup for for some time now (look at the date on the original post).  Very happy with it.  I've changed some things, I always use 4 turns of wire instead of 5 in the original photo.  I use a .4x.1mm Kanthal D ribbon wire now.  I'm also using a coarse mesh, 200 count instead of 400 count.

I still have some Nextel left and I'll use that until I run out, but I also have some 3mm Ekowool and that performs just as well.  The Nextel is a little tougher, but the Ekowool is durable enough to last until it's time to recoil.  The Ekowool is much cheaper and easier to get.  It's also very clean and pretty much ready to vape with.  You have to torch the hell out of the Nextel to get rid of all the impurities.

Offline horton

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
The wick is still going strong today, Craig.  The heck with the purists....LOL.  I say whatever floats the boat is just dandy.  Making the hybrid wicks sure is easier than trying to thread a 45mm mesh roll through a piece of Nextel or Ekowool!!
I did note the date of your original post and wish I had noted it sooner.  But, at least I'm using the method now with great results.  I also did find I had to reduce the number of wire turns by 1.  Perhaps because of the increased diameter of the wick?? 
I'll have to pick up some of the ribbon Kanthal.  Haven't given that a try yet.  I'm not an early adopter.... guess I'd be called a very late adopter!
I'll be curious to see how long the Ekowool lasts before needing to be replaced.  But no matter how long it is,  this method definitely gives the best vape with no worry about hot spots. 
Thanks again for sharing your info........ horton

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
Welcome,

The longevity of your coil job depends on how much you vape, the power level you use, and the juice you use.  All have an effect on the lifetime of your coils.  I'm a heavy vaper using a higher power level.  I stick to fluids that vape as clean as possible.  I get quite a good while off a coil job, at least a couple weeks. 

I usually clean the coil every few days.  You can simply throw a dry burn on the coil to clean it.  Use a lower voltage and let it run with the wire glowing a moderate red for about 20 seconds.  You don't want to use too much power when you dry burn or it takes a toll on the wire, makes it brittle and increases the resistance.

I actually use sort of an unusual method to clean mine.  First I flush the tank and wick with with water by injecting it into the fill hole with a syringe, then I flush with rubbing alcohol.  I dry it with compressed air again through the fill hole, but it can be air dryed after a few shakes to get any fluid out of the tank.  Then I do the dry burn.  The dry burn works better when things are totally dry plus a flush keeps the tank clean.

The sleeve does hang on to gunk somewhat more than a bare mesh wick so you will probably have to clean a little more often than a metal wick.  The up side is the mesh pretty much lasts forever since the sleeve takes all the heat.

Offline horton

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Once again, thanks for providing more helpful info, Craig.   When it comes time to clean, I definitely will try your method.   I'm gonna change all my genny's to the hybrid wick.  I can't get over how much better they are!!!

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Hybrid SS Wick with Nextel

gfxgfx
gfx gfx