gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 02:01:21 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DNA20
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DNA20  (Read 173358 times)

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
Re: DNA20
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
That's true, all the love seems to be going toward mechanical mods with very low resistance coils.  I still like my VV boxes though.  Have no intention of going the unregulated route.  I have zero tolerance for battery fade.

yup specially here in my country everyone is crazy doing sub ohm coils and like 3 coils of 3/4 wraps...plus I really don't understand why the mods are getting really expensive specially the mech ones,..
rba/rda I might understand,,,then again I don't,hehehhe specially the crazy rda that are produced in my country...

for me...I stil like vv,since well still kind looks different,,,
been wanting to get this chip,sadly its still out of stock and don't know if they ship to the Philippines,.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
I understand why they're ~more~ expensive since the production numbers are low and there's a lot of machine work involved, but if they're charging really high prices, that's just taking advantage of the high demand for them.

People are doing crazy stuff like running dual coils for resistances of like a third of an Ohm.  I've played with the sub-ohm coils and I actually get better performance with my VV using the same setup with an extra turn or two for a higher resistance which allows a higher voltage. 

With a good ultra low impedance battery (like the Sony US18650VTC3) in a mechanical running a sub-ohm coil, you get into into power levels upwards of 20 Watts and even into the 30's with the dual coils.  Having a VV mod capable of 36 Watts output, I can say there's a limit to how much power a person can comfortably vape with.  It ~is~ possible to get too much vapor. 

With those extreme power levels I suppose it would be okay if you vape very sparingly, but the human lungs can only tolerate so much vapor and if I use power levels like that regularly, it makes my throat and lungs sore.  Though I can build a coil(s) that can run those power levels no problem, the flavor is fine and there's no burnt taste.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
I understand why they're ~more~ expensive since the production numbers are low and there's a lot of machine work involved, but if they're charging really high prices, that's just taking advantage of the high demand for them.

People are doing crazy stuff like running dual coils for resistances of like a third of an Ohm.  I've played with the sub-ohm coils and I actually get better performance with my VV using the same setup with an extra turn or two for a higher resistance which allows a higher voltage. 

With a good ultra low impedance battery (like the Sony US18650VTC3) in a mechanical running a sub-ohm coil, you get into into power levels upwards of 20 Watts and even into the 30's with the dual coils.  Having a VV mod capable of 36 Watts output, I can say there's a limit to how much power a person can comfortably vape with.  It ~is~ possible to get too much vapor. 

With those extreme power levels I suppose it would be okay if you vape very sparingly, but the human lungs can only tolerate so much vapor and if I use power levels like that regularly, it makes my throat and lungs sore.  Though I can build a coil(s) that can run those power levels no problem, the flavor is fine and there's no burnt taste.

yup mech mods here converted to USD is roughly $100 and I think some of them are actually sold in the US also with RBA like the era atty.
believe me they are overpriced...I know some of them makers and production here a heck of a lot cheaper..
Here VV mods are almost obsolete and the ones that are available are either crappy or expensive.
vv mods that are available here are just provari and lavatube, I saw someone selling vamo's but like $70ish...
nothing like the mvp...it have to ship it here..and a bit afraid that customs will hold it..not because its a pv...but because customs here a just corrupt..

well in terms of vaping experience,,
I do like my vv it an old evercool mod that has survived now for like almost 2 years more or less..thanks to breaktru for that mod.it still housed on my crappy Marlboro fliptop box.

and I do agree with you..vaping @ 5v on a 2.3 ohm coil is just like any sub ohm out there..less the risk of batts blowing up..
sad reality is efest is the most affordable decent battery that most of us here can get,and crazy people here build sub ohms dual coils on those..

so that I don't get off topic is there another source of this chip?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »
A person does have to be aware of what they're doing when pulling that much current out of a battery.  There's going to be considerable voltage drop from the mod's resistance plus the internal resistance of the battery, but a coil a third of an Ohm can pull upwards of 10 Amps.  If not using the right battery, there could be problems. 

I would expect Evolve to ramp up production of the DNA20 since they seem to sell pretty well.  Probably just a matter of waiting until resellers have stock.  Vaping being so popular in the Philippines, I would surprised if a local seller does not get some eventually.

I don't think regulated mods will ever become extinct since there's plenty of people that have a strong dislike for the battery fade you get with a mechanical.  I'm one of them.

Offline poorboy

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
It's been a while since i last posted here. Hey, craig and dave! :D got same problem. Broke the oled. Now, I'm Trying to find a replacement here locally. Another prob is i dont have the exact part# :( anyone?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
It's been a while since i last posted here. Hey, craig and dave! :D got same problem. Broke the oled. Now, I'm Trying to find a replacement here locally. Another prob is i dont have the exact part# :( anyone?

Welcome back poorboy. The first thing I would do is contact Evolve for a replacement. So far I haven't heard of a single person who was denied a replacement.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »

hi,saw your location/....where did you buy yours???

Offline Blakd

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
What is the part number for those little black buttons?

Offline breakstuff

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »

They look like a standard tactile switch. You can get them at any electronic parts distributor.
The button tops come in different heights.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
They look like a standard tactile switch. You can get them at any electronic parts distributor.
The button tops come in different heights.

Yes they are standard 50ma, 6 x 6 mm size tacts (Off - Mom). They come in a variety of actuator lengths and actuation force.
The actuator length depends on the thickness of your box and how long you want it to protrude.

Offline poorboy

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45:01 AM »

hi,saw your location/....where did you buy yours???

A local online vape shop here in ph vapetime.net. :)

Welcome back poorboy. The first thing I would do is contact Evolve for a replacement. So far I haven't heard of a single person who was denied a replacement.

Thanks dave! It didn't came from evolve directly just got from a local vapeshop here in PH, and I'm not sure if they will replace it like evolve does. Is this the one? http://www.newark.com/densitron/dd-9616be-3a/display-oled-blu-96x16/dp/83R9566 like the one you used.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:12:26 AM by poorboy »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »
Thanks dave! It didn't came from evolve directly just got from a local vapeshop here in PH, and I'm not sure if they will replace it like evolve does. Is this the one? http://www.newark.com/densitron/dd-9616be-3a/display-oled-blu-96x16/dp/83R9566 like the one you used.

The DNA20 has a 1yr warranty. I'm sure your local vapeshop has a return policy with Evolv. I would ask them.

Unless the oLed is the same, it may not work. See --> THIS
I used an oLed from a bad DNA20 board. So it was an exact replacement screen.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »
where in ph and what shop did you get your dna?
been looking for ages online,never found one...

Offline poorboy

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
I see. I'll ask them. Thanks again dave.

Zeus, I got it from www.vapetime.net

Offline Mandro

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
It's good to know that the DNA20 has a 1yr warranty, I've had mine for a couple of months now and still haven't got the confidence to use it.
I'll try a few more regular VV mods to build up my soldering skills.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
I see. I'll ask them. Thanks again dave.

Zeus, I got it from www.vapetime.net

thanks did'nt know vapetime are selling mods now and not just juices...

Offline dausnasir

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2013, 05:06:30 AM »
Hello guys,

Im from Malaysia. Plan to build one small mods of DNA20. Somewhere i have notice that the DNA20 recomendded to use a 7A battery which is a 700mah battery if i am not mistaken.

I try to build a really small mod on my hand(asian hand thou-their really small huh?). I plan to use a 14500 batteries with 750mah/700mah. But how long it will last since its only a small capacity...im afraid that using 14500 700mah would not last for an hour?  :Thinking:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
Hello guys,

Im from Malaysia. Plan to build one small mods of DNA20. Somewhere i have notice that the DNA20 recomendded to use a 7A battery which is a 700mah battery if i am not mistaken.

I try to build a really small mod on my hand(asian hand thou-their really small huh?). I plan to use a 14500 batteries with 750mah/700mah. But how long it will last since its only a small capacity...im afraid that using 14500 700mah would not last for an hour?  :Thinking:

Welcome to the forum.
An AW IMR 600mah is 8C
8C = 1 x 600mah or 0.600Ah __ 0.600 x 8C = 4.8 amps
The AW IMR is capable of a 4.8 amp discharge rate

If you would like to keep the mod small, try the Nano-Tech 1200mah 15C Li-Po battery shown in reply #19.
15C = 1 x 1200mah or 1.2Ah __ 1.2 x 15C = 18 amps

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »
Somewhere i have notice that the DNA20 recomendded to use a 7A battery which is a 700mah battery if i am not mistaken.

You are actually, 7A is 7000mA which is drain limit.  Ah or mAh stands for amp-hours or miliamp-hours which is charge capacity.  You're talking about two different battery specifications.  One is drain limit and the other is charge capacity.  The DNA20 requires a battery with a 7A or 7000mA drain limit. 

One thing to note about drain limit ratings is they are for continuous drain and we don't power an atomizer continuously.  The burst drain limits that apply to powering an atomizer are somewhat higher.  In terms of safety you can go over a bit, but there are other limitations.

Battery selection is also a matter of the battery's ability to supply power.  Smaller batteries with less charge capacity typcially have lower drain limits.  A smaller battery sags in voltage under load more heavily which can cause problems for boosters.  They also have higher internal impedance which can also cause problems for boosters.  The higher the drain limit, the better the battery will deliver power under heavy load.

Offline dausnasir

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »
Thank you for a very good explanation on this Breakhru and CraigHB..this helps me a lot...

i decide to take the turnigy 1200mah 15c as mention....thanks again and really appreciated...

here is my prototype without the DNA20 with a single 14500

munchis by Da'madness, on Flickr

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2013, 06:46:32 AM »
Thank you for a very good explanation on this Breakhru and CraigHB..this helps me a lot...

i decide to take the turnigy 1200mah 15c as mention....thanks again and really appreciated...

here is my prototype without the DNA20 with a single 14500

You are welcome. Nice mod. That's a cool box. Thanks for sharing

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
The DNA20 is so yesterday now that there are rumors of a DNA30 ;hubba;   :laughing: :thumbsup: lol

nice mods glad I got to look in the rear view and see the beta version worked out to what people vape on and rave about til-now..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
If they can do a 30 Watt booster with a PCB that small, I'll be quite impressed with the engineering prowess on Evolv's part.  I get 36 Watts out of my booster, but my PCB is 3 times the size and it's already as small as I can possibly make it.  Boosters need bigger PCBs than step down converters because they have to do more work.  More work means bigger components which means a bigger PCB.  It's easier to go downhill with a step down converter than uphill with a boost converter.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:15:00 PM by CraigHB »

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I was thinking maybe they are using the dna to power an okr,  he says it needs external components and I immediately thought that.
Just joshin' in my own brain with lil knowledge about it all..  Like breaks okr mod --wonder if this isnt breaks mod lol woot

Quote from: vaporjoes.blogspot
What is the "DNA30"?

I'm calling it the DNA30 because he confirmed the specs. I was never given an actual name of the board.  The new board is sitting in a new module that will work in conjunction with a certain mod "system". I'm being vague for a reason. I promised I wouldn't reveal what mod maker-- for now. The board looks VERY similar to the DNA20. At first glance you might think it is the DNA20, and many did, because it was shown off at VaperCon under everyone's nose.

It was slated to be released on December 27th. I asked him to confirm it, and he only said, "there will be nothing before Christmas." Sounds about right?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
I beta tested the first DNA12 and the DNA20 before it was released for sale. If this in fact is true about a DNA30, hopefully I will receive it before release.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I was thinking maybe they are using the dna to power an okr,  he says it needs external components and I immediately thought that.  Just joshin' in my own brain with lil knowledge about it all..  Like breaks okr mod --wonder if this isnt breaks mod lol woot

Going with with a step down that requires series cells would be a whole different design making it something that has little in common with a DNA20.  It lowers the voltage cap limiting the range of resistance that allows a full wattage range.  Also, it doesn't allow the use of USB charging since higher voltage is required to charge series cells.  Based on their previous products, it doesn't sound like something Evlov would go for.

If they do a 30W module, the only possibility I see would be a more powerful version of the same DNA20 design.  Certainly do-able if they increased the PCB size a bit, but that becomes a length issue for an 18650 tube.  That's what the DNA20 is designed for, though plenty of people make box mods with them.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
I just saw in another forum where a guy mentioned he saw a mod with a "prototype" DNA30 at Vapercon.  So, it looks like they are in fact going to be making one.  I'll be really interested to see if they are able to fit it on the same size PCB as the DNA20.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
Quote from: Craighb
Certainly do-able if they increased the PCB size a bit, but that becomes a length issue for an 18650 tube.  That's what the DNA20 is designed for, though plenty of people make box mods with them.

When the DNA20 first came out the chip designer Brandon made a mod tube in about 5 minutes on cam out of a transparent tube, I was blown away.  He even made buttons for it out of roofing nails.  5 minutes lol,  he cheated a bit, it had a 510 with wires on it  and holes drilled..  Yeah it was a good advertisement, the dna20 is really cool.  Excited to see the 30' .

Two USA mods using one battery delivering great vapes on 3.7v -- I look at China and wonder if its respect that they dont copy-paste or its really so proprietary and codexed that they cannot crack the software..

Watched a video on your mod Craig --Lordy in UK, he has everything but says your mod blew them all out the water.  The ecig biz is still young-un hopefully for ya Craig to have light shine as your also delivers on 3.7v and form is sweet..  I read that you have to optimize each and every one you build, so I understand why its so badarse and not made for a factory production but close is good too..   :thumbsup:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
I read that you have to optimize each and every one you build, so I understand why its so badarse and not made for a factory production but close is good too.

Yeah, the calibration thing is an issue.  There's no way around it and it's not something I could just blow off since tolerances are way too wide to rely on component values for accuracy.

I do the calibration in software, but by modifying the source code.  I need to add a code block that allows me to put the unit in a calibration mode providing an interface to save offsets and scalers in flash memory.

It's actually a lot of code to add a calibration interface and I don't have enough program memory with my current stock of MCUs.  I screwed up by stocking up on 16KB controllers when I should have stocked up on 32KB controllers.  Really kicking myself over that.  They're not particularly cheap so I want to use up the 16KB ones I have.  At some point I need to switch controllers and add that interface.

The calibration issue is just one of several I have in producing these on any kind of scale.  I still make more than I need, but the numbers are very small.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:48:33 PM by CraigHB »

Offline studiovape

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
Hey guys, been lurking for a while, wanted to show you my build :
I finally got time time to use one of my DNA20 chips in a new Sick Mod bottom feeder, this time using Queen Ebony, I was quite pleased to keep it as compact as it came out.

Offline studiovape

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »
More pictures and more sweat :)

Offline studiovape

« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2013, 07:25:15 AM »
Exciting news about the DNA30, cool that we will be able to get some info ahead of time, must be so hard having to do all this beta testing.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
Very nice Studio. That is fine wood workmanship  :applaude:
Thanks for sharing the whole build process with us  :rockin smiley:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
That's a beauty, enjoyed seeing it.  You don't see many regulated wet boxes, most boxes are regulated or wet, not both.

Offline studiovape

« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
Thanks guys, I still have to pull the module out to do the final water/moisture sealing, but as I'm using the onboard buttons I'm still scratching my head as how to encase it in silicon or hot glue and not affect button action, high temp silicon in a tube isn't somthing I've seen locally, but may well be the final choice.

Offline simon28

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
Hi everyone! Another guy here from the Phil wanting to venture out into regulated mods. Mechs are ok but I know regulated mods are better.

Hope all is well. Cheers!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »
Hi everyone! Another guy here from the Phil wanting to venture out into regulated mods. Mechs are ok but I know regulated mods are better.

Hope all is well. Cheers!
Hi simon and welcome to the forum

Offline studiovape

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »
Finally got round to sealing up the module. Used hot glue, wow that stuff is a rel pain. Really got in a mess with it LOL. Got there in the end though, and feel much happier about it's longevity.

Offline simon28

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
Hi simon and welcome to the forum

Thanks Breakthru!

Offline Lee1111

« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
I really enjoyed this thread. I want to build a wood box so bad, so I may have to pick one of these up.

Nice stuffing skills there breaktru. I'm impressed

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
Thanks Lee. Luv to see what you come up with.
I've been stuffing small boxes for quite some time. Started with my .44 mini mod, .44+ and .44++ mini mod.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
Studiovape, that is one sexy mod!  What are the switch buttons made of and how do you hold them into the case?

Offline studiovape

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
Studiovape, that is one sexy mod!  What are the switch buttons made of and how do you hold them into the case?
Thanks mate, I have been a mech only guy for ages, but now the power available from the DNA20 and a real compact ( for 18650 ) build has found this mod permanently in use, plus something about the dark chocolate colour of the Queen Ebony is seductive.
But to answer your question, the smallest brass buttons were turned and cut from brass rod ( the large one from an industrial tap washer)on my pillar drill, when they were ground/sanded to close to To correct length I 'mashed' them into a flat file while spinning in the drill  to create a burr that acts as the retaining flange. Not a quick and easy job.i didn't like the metal micro switches others have used for their unavailability and extra space consumption in the overall build, so it was a labour of love that paid off.

Offline Jerseybob

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

Looks like a piece of fine furniture. Excellent craftsmanship  :applaude:

Offline Boonos

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
thats awesome!

Offline studiovape

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »
Been a while but I did finish my steampunk Dna20 here's a link to the pictures if anyone is interested
http://forums.aussievapers.com/modding-technical/21854-steampunk-dna20-bottom-feeder-studiovape.html

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »
@Studio

Sweeet

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2014, 12:19:55 AM »
Been a while but I did finish my steampunk Dna20 here's a link to the pictures if anyone is interested
http://forums.aussievapers.com/modding-technical/21854-steampunk-dna20-bottom-feeder-studiovape.html

cool is that a cartoon?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Awesome looking mod studiovape  :thumbsup:

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DNA20

gfxgfx
gfx gfx