gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 05:04:57 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Cheap passive components
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cheap passive components  (Read 6420 times)

Offline c1truz

Cheap passive components
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
I'm sure this may not be news to anyone but I never really looked at Newark much since the parts they stock in the US is limited and their shipping is $10.  I ordered a few mosfets and the controller for my boost mod from there because it was the only place that had them in stock.   $10 shipping was the hit I took but to my surprise they are less than an hour from me in West Columbia, SC so I basically get overnight shipping for $10.  I work a few miles away I may see if pickup is possible but if not I'm not complaining.

Well I was browsing around mouser yesterday afternoon looking at some 0805 caps that I need.  Added a few to my cart.  A few being 100 each of  .1uf, 1uf, 4.7uf.  Idk why but I didn't buy them and went browsing other sites for prices.  I finally hit Newark and to my surprise they are by far the cheapest on what I needed.   

I ordered:

500 .1uf
500 1uf
250 4.7uf

all for under $20 shipped.  And it is out for delivery as I type. 
The same speced parts at mouser is $49 bucks BEFORE the $7 shipping. 

Just a thought if anyone buys in bulk.  I never buy a onesy twosy when they cost less than a dollar but hey thats just me. 

The specs are the same for the parts however the quality may be junk.  IDK and I will find out.  If they are Ill have 1250 little parts laying around and $20 less in my pocket.  But hey i can promise you I've wasted $20 in a lot worse places.   freaked_out:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:24:35 AM by c1truz »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Cheap passive components
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
Mouser's warehouse is in Texas so that's a lot further from you.  They're a lot closer for me.  Newark does have good prices on stuff, but I don't use them all that often.  If you're that close to them, maybe you could do a will call at their warehouse.  That would be handy.

I've used Newark before, but not often so I don't recall the shipping options.  I assumed they provided a first class mail option so the $10 shipping is rough, need a big order to make that worthwhile.  Mouser lists an economy method for $5, but it's slow.  For small orders at Mouser, I always ask them to send it first class in the shipping instructions and they always do it when I ask them to.  For the bigger orders, I just use the Priorty Mail option for $7 since first class is only cheap when it's just a few ounces.  Either way it only takes a couple three days.

For caps and resistors, I almost always buy them in groups of 100.  They're so cheap and with the price break, there's no reason to buy any less than that.  Though, some passives can get expensive.  The high value MLCC caps aren't cheap so I usually buy them in smaller quantity.  The inductors I use are like a dollar a pop so I'm not going to buy any more of those than I actually need.  Current sense resistors are rather expensive as well.

For the MLCC caps, the price goes up a lot for values above 1uF.  Anything below that I can usually get at Mouser for under a buck with a quantity of 100.  So, I would expect the 4.7uF ones to be where you see a big price difference. 

The 22uF MLCC caps I use are like 50 cents a piece at Mouser for quantities between 10 and 100.  I looked and the pricing is almost the same at Newark.  I've seen pretty big variations in price at Mouser for parts that are very similar.  You really have to scrutinize the parts listings and seek out the less expensive ones.  I've found it's mainly the ICs where Newark does a lot better than Mouser.  If you want to get really hammered on stuff, head over to DigiKey.

Offline c1truz

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Newark only has ups and fed ex as options for shipping.  So its UPS ground for 10 bucks but when I used my phone instead of computer I get USPS priority options.  Confused me but oh well.  Ill have to email them or call and see if they offer other non listed options like first class and will call pickup.  I've been buying 25-50 at a time for cheap stuff even if i only use one the rest of my life.  These caps seem to be a very commonly used item so I went ahead and got some bulk.  Afterall one of the displays i bought from china takes 11 1uf caps(idk y even ordered it).  But ill use at least 11 of them on that to test it even if i never use it again.  The board I'm trying to make for a 3d printer also uses quite a few .1uf caps.  Thats the real reason I bought 500 of them. 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
I have a whole dresser drawer full of components for that reason.  Though, it's not a bad thing to have a stock of components on hand.  I've done a few projects where I didn't have to order anything at all, just used the stuff I have on hand.  You get quite a collection after you've been doing this stuff for some time.

I still have a whole bunch of old through hole ICs I used back in the day.  Just haven't had the heart to throw them away, though it's doubtful I'll ever use any of them.  They do come in handy for breadboarding, but I tend to make PCBs rather than breadboarding things.  I still use the breadboard on ocassion but with PCBs containing subcircuits comprised of SMD components.  I don't really use the through hole stuff unless I just need the odd resistor or capacitor on the breadboard.  I have a good collection of those in through hole and I do use them sometimes.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Cheap passive components

gfxgfx
gfx gfx