gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 16, 2024, 05:11:18 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Do you think this will work?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Do you think this will work?  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Romelee

Do you think this will work?
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »
Hi all,

Back again now making a second mod, just a quick question........

My thinking behind it and others things is that with the center 510 pin i will not be using epoxy on it as there will be no need too as the Airflow controller will be able to just screw off the case as i will be leaving enough length of the red wire for it to be pulled out with the airflow controller and the red wire soldered to a new airflow controller if the center pin fails in years to come.

Plus the other benefit is that the base will also have airflow control for certain attys, also this way gives me much more room to mess around with as it's very short connection inside the box.

Plus i just wanted something to look fancy at the top of the case and it's very cheap to make  :laughing2:

My main concern is will this fitting short in anyway? will i have problems with the steel washer with connectivity?

Anyway some piccys of what i mean:

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
Re: Do you think this will work?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
The 510 connector itself doesn't "spin" does it?  If not then why not solder the black wire straight to the barrel of the connector after fastening with the nut?  is that a possibility?  I would think it would have better connectivity than just a mechanical connection through the nut.

Offline Romelee

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
The 510 connector itself doesn't "spin" does it?  If not then why not solder the black wire straight to the barrel of the connector after fastening with the nut?  is that a possibility?  I would think it would have better connectivity than just a mechanical connection through the nut.

510 does not spin as it is fixed in place on the airflow controller, the reason i did not want to fix the black wire to the inside of the barrel is because i wanted the red wire on the 510 airflow controller pin to be able to be taken out of the mod without the black wire being disturbed as the black wire is never normally a problem, the problem lies with the red wire due to fixing the center pin.

Just ordered myself a new casing so now i don't need the washer anymore, the only reason i needed it was because the hole was too big so i needed something to compensate for the bolt to fix too.

With the new case i will do a much smaller hole so that the the airflow controller 510 thread will now fit snug into the hole and the bolt will hold it in place now without the washer being needed.

Hope this makes sense as i am now confused :laughing2:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »
Nice looking Top Cap. Which one is that?
The steel washer should not be a problem. Soldering the black neg wire to the nut on the 510 connector would be best as you show in the photo.
As far as shorting out goes, as long as the insulator around the center pin is well made and doesn't move you should have no problem.
Try not to expose bare copper on the center pin wire and for extra protection you can slide a piece of shrink tubing over the center pin soldered wire.

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
It's the Smok airflow controller I believe Dave http://www.myvaporstore.com/Tank_Airflow_Controller_p/smok-act.htm

Offline Romelee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:02 AM »
Nice looking Top Cap. Which one is that?
The steel washer should not be a problem. Soldering the black neg wire to the nut on the 510 connector would be best as you show in the photo.
As far as shorting out goes, as long as the insulator around the center pin is well made and doesn't move you should have no problem.
Try not to expose bare copper on the center pin wire and for extra protection you can slide a piece of shrink tubing over the center pin soldered wire.

;cheers;

The one warlord linked is spot on, the only thing i changed on it was the center pin.

p.s Finally ordered myself a soldering station, did buy a new basic soldering iron before the station and it lasted about 1 minute before it went into meltdown freaked_out:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »
Cool
Ya gonna luv using a soldering station. Good 4-U  :thumbsup:

Offline Romelee

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Solder station arrived :rockin smiley:

WoW what a difference it makes, solder melts nice and smoothly, not like my other soldering iron when it decided to either heat up too much or heat up too little, this thing is very consistent.

Should of listened to you's guys and girls and got one in the first place Doh:

Bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121090033388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
Yeah, people just don't believe it when you say it makes a huge difference.  It's not worth saving a few dollars to use one of those awful cheapo pencils, they really are awful.  Looks like you can get a good selection of tips with that one, a big part of soldering well is using the right tip.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
I couldn't believe how much better my soldering got after getting the Hakko station.  So much more control and the heat recovery is amazing.  I spent $10 and got the Hakko digital thermometer and calibrated my station as well.  I had calibrated it using the solder melt temperature before that and turns out I was about 50F hotter than the digital thermometer showed. 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
Yeah, that was one thing weird about the Hakko I picked up, I had to adjust the calibration quite a bit, was at least 100F off out of the box.  The Weller station I have is spot on, have not had to calibrate that one at all.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Do you think this will work?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx