gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 10:07:58 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DNA20 OLED screen
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DNA20 OLED screen  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Romelee

DNA20 OLED screen
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
Hi all,

Just finished my box mod and it all fires up fine but the OLED screen does not work, after some inspection i noticed the ribbon has come away from the OLED a bit.

Got a replacement on it's way to me but was wondering, do you think it's OK to put a thin layer of epoxy on the joints to strengthen the joints to stop this happening again as they are very very fragile?

Cheers

Jason
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:15:49 PM by Romelee »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: DNA20 OLED screen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
I've used epoxy and I still popped the ribbon off. It helps but it's not a fail-safe.

You may want to try and hit the single trace that popped off with a thin pointed soldering tip at low heat. I'm not saying that it will work but it's worth a try.

Offline tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about the broken ribbon. Pity they can't make a better way of attaching the display  :thumbsdwn2:

Offline Romelee

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
I've used epoxy and I still popped the ribbon off. It helps but it's not a fail-safe.

You may want to try and hit the single trace that popped off with a thin pointed soldering tip at low heat. I'm not saying that it will work but it's worth a try.

Already posted it back to the vendor so i cannot try it but thanks for the tip, was thinking of using epoxy on the following parts, first i would epoxy the screen in place on the board and than just epoxy the rest of the parts so it's more solid and less chance of the ribbon moving, because i have very little room to mess around with in the box the DNA board is getting a bit rough handled trying to get it into place.

Was wondering does it matter what epoxy comes into contact with? i.e will it damage anything on the board or the ribbon?

Picture of the parts i am thinking of putting epoxy on:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
I've epoxied in the same spots that you have pointed out except I would suggest NOT to epoxy the inductor to the back of display. The double sided tape should be good enough there. Some modders use a soft gel type epoxy on the inductor to display in case it needs to be removed.

Offline Romelee

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
I would suggest NOT to epoxy the inductor to the back of display

Noted, will just nuke the rest of the joints with epoxy, can't be having anymore breakages, worst part is i cannot see how it happened as i made sure that when handling the board nothing touched the ribbon as i know how fragile they are raged:

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
For the cable part that's connected to the board, just dab a bit of super glue under the cable in that area to adhere it to the board (retird's tip).

For the cable part that's connected to the screen, I've not found a way to secure it as epoxy doesn't work too well over the material that Evolv uses to hold that section together.

Once I get the display/board into the case, I use gel epoxy on the underside of the screen and also dab some epoxy on the board in the corners to secure it to the case so it doesn't move.  Gel epoxy is nice cuz you can use a heat gun to soften and remove it to get the display/board out of the case in one piece if you should need to.

Offline Romelee

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
Just got this email from Evolv so i thought i would share as it may help others:

Hi,

You may use electronics grade RTV or hot glue, do not use regular RTV as it will eat the copper.

The flex cable on the 20 and 30 can be creased up to 5 times this may helpful in  placement.

Thanks,
Steve

Evolv, LLC

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DNA20 OLED screen

gfxgfx
gfx gfx