gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 02:48:02 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Battery for Groove pcb
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Battery for Groove pcb  (Read 4943 times)

Offline scottericsonon

Battery for Groove pcb
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
So I was able to pick up a couple of the groove pcbs http://www.hoosierecig.com/-Metal-Groove-PCB-and-frame_p_764.html with the plan to get my feet wet building boxes etc....

I'd really like to keep the usb charging circuit on them (actually this is a requirement for my wife who "wants to just plug it in") so I'm thinking a pair of parallel unprotected 18350s won't be the smartest way to go......

However we would definitely like to get " all day" use out of them so 1500mah or more is a must....

That being said....
What battery would you guys use for a small mod?
Single 18650?  Or a 3.7v flat cell like this one from Mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ultralife/UBP001/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuXcNZ31nzYhYzVBmcrvUxY8hsFTHe%2fI2U%3d ?

Thanks in advance
Scott

Online vaporhead

Re: Battery for Groove pcb
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:07:10 AM »
The battery would depend on the internal dimensions of the box. I guess you would have to wait to get it and measure your clearance. If using a Li-ion round cell you would need to find a battery holder. The Li-po (flat cell) can be soldered.

Offline scottericsonon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »
Oh yeah I knew that.....
I'm probably going to build a wood box and use a holder if I run a round cell....
I can build the box to whatever size battery I decide to run

I was just wondering if there was any technical reason (more suitable amp draw etc) that one would  be majorly favored over the other

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
For flat cells, go to Hobbyking, just look up the 1S cells and you'll see the bare ones.  They're super inexpensive and the quality is pretty good. 

For round cells, you'll want to use use the IMR type if they're smaller than 18650.  Sometimes you can get away with the ICR 18500s (normally protected), but you need to be aware of your load requirements and the drain limits of the cell. 

The smaller IMR cells all come from China for the most part.  The AW brand has a decent reputation.  There's more brands of Chinese batteries than you can shake a stick at so probably best to stick with one of the more popular ones.   For the 18650s, higher quality Japanese cells are available.

Offline scottericsonon

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I ended up (temporarily) wiring a pair of 2900 mah Panasonic 18650 in parallel for this...
It's just hacked together with tape etc as a "proof of concept" but seems to be working and charging decently...

I may end up just building a box to run this pcb with these batteries

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Battery for Groove pcb

gfxgfx
gfx gfx