gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 03:31:34 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Power Block II Synchronous Buck MOSFETs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Power Block II Synchronous Buck MOSFETs  (Read 5483 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Power Block II Synchronous Buck MOSFETs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
Pretty amazing part. 

Those guys at TI are always coming up with the best stuff, generally their switches are really good.  I took a look at the data sheet for the 30A part.  It's an N-channel pair so you're limited to certain types of controllers with that.  A lot of them are using NMOS rectifiers now so it's probably not a big deal.

It would have been better if the pair was matched a little closer, but I guess that's a space saving thing.  The gate charge is a little high on the rectifier and the on resistance is a little high on the energizer (relatively speaking).  I'd rather have a more matched pair with a more median trade off for gate charge and on resistance.  That's always the trade-off, gate charge for on resistance.  You don't want to go too high on either with a converter.  High gate charge reduces switching speed and increases load on the gate driver.  High on resistance increases power loss and heating.

This part would actually be better; http://www.ti.com/product/csd86360q5d   You have to reflow solder the version II part which can be a limitation for a hobbyist.  The 5x6 SON package can be soldered by hand with the right circuit board layout, just need a couple big vias under the center pad.  Also, that part I linked has better specs.  You sacrifice some performance for that extremely small form factor with the version II. 

I've looked at those Power Block parts before, but I hadn't seen the new version II parts.  If I do a design with a different controller that uses an NMOS pair, I may use one of the 5x6 SON parts.  The controller I'm using right now uses an N-P pair.  That part can also be used for a booster.  The only difference between buck and boost is which side of the inductor the MOSFET pair is connected to.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Power Block II Synchronous Buck MOSFETs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx