gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 07:14:45 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX350 usb passthrough question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SX350 usb passthrough question  (Read 4679 times)

Offline matt

SX350 usb passthrough question
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
So I'm finishing up my first mod now and thinking about my second.  Wanted to do a USB passthrough for home, work, and the car.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.  Is it better to build a small battery into the device and run it off of the chip's USB charge port or is there another chip out there that will take a USB 5V input and output a good, constant 4v or so for the SX350?

Thanks in advance for the help - I'm learning a TON here.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: SX350 usb passthrough question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »
Powering off of a USB from a computer is not recommended.
A PC USB 2.0 will output a max of 500ma and a USB 3.0 will output 900ma. You also have to consider other devices that your PC is powering via USB.
There are wall plug USB devices that can output 5A. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875893007
You will also need to use a USB cable that can handle 5A which I don't think they make.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:57:49 PM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: SX350 usb passthrough question
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »
1A is about the limit you can push through a mini-B USB cable and connector.  To go higher, you need a different connector type.  The USB A type connectors can handle more current than the mini-B or micro-B type connectors.  Even so, the spec only goes up to 1.5A for those.

Barrel connectors are typically used for high current requirements.  You seen them used commonly for Laptop computer power ports.  Those can handle currents up to 10 Amps. 

That 5A USB adapter from New Egg is actually 5 ports at 1A per port so that wouldn't be able to supply the power you need for an e-cig either.  The highest I've seen for a single port is 2 Amps.

You pretty much have to have a battery in an e-cig that has a USB power port.  The battery provides the high currents and the USB supply charges the battery.

For something without a battery, you'd want to use a high output supply with the required connector and cable to support the high currents.  It's certainly do-able and lots of people have done stuff like that.  The first VV mod I made when I first started vaping was like that, used a 5A supply.  That was before VV or VW devices were commonly available.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX350 usb passthrough question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx