gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:04:35 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: First unregulated Box
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: First unregulated Box  (Read 5358 times)

Offline khboogie

First unregulated Box
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
My first box mod ant comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. all 14 guage wire n channel mosfet 15k resistor 3a switch. And some really bad soldering.
IRLB3036PBF-ND

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: First unregulated Box
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Very nice boogie. Looking good.
How is the contact pressure on the battery contacts that you made using solid copper wire?

Offline khboogie

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
Better than i expected. Coiled my own springs for the neg contacts and pretty thick positive contacts. all in all a bit tight for my liking. Defintiley think i will switch to  Silver Coated Beryllium Copper Battery Springs for the next one, rework the pos contacts and switch to a p channel mosfet. But it seems to be working well, handling sub ohm builds, and very little voltage drop.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
Yes you shouldn't get much drop with three parallel cells.

Careful with that setup.  Don't space out when installing the cells and install one backwards or one that doesn't have the same charge level.  You have no protection for that.  You would need to fuse each cell to provide protection.

The problem with copper is it corrodes pretty fast which will interfere with connection quality.  What you can do is buff out the contacts then apply some Noalox.  That will keep them from tarnishing. 

Silver has the same problem as copper, it tarnishes pretty heavily, but not nearly as fast as copper.  It will work better than copper in that regard, but will have the same problem, brass too.  Contacts normally have to plated with a corrosion resistant metal like nickel or more exotically rhodium.

Offline khboogie

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
Defintiley thinking of fuses for protection on the next setup. I saw a thread talking about that, I will do some reading before the next build. And do you think I would really notice any difference keeping the stock nickel plated contacts?? Thanks for the feedback

Offline Tameron

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
Congrats on your 1st mod  :rockin smiley:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
Dude nice and innovative but watch out.

I use copper contact for my healthcare, they corrode so fast that I need to buff them at least twice or three times a week.  I use a pulse freq unit called a zapper it emits random frequencies that supposedly kill all parasites in the body -- I must admit it works but it also messes with nerves making them a bit tender when used a lot..  Anyway yeah batts are considered much safer in series than parallel and thats with great connection-- neither way with ions are considered safe but series are safer esp when the charging amps will be that much higher if two go into one.  meh goodluck it aint that serious but to you it obviously is.   At least fuse each cell mon.  One batt changed three times will net same results unless your vaping .0X  But now you have 3 cells to charge instead of one meh..

raged:

If you go boom it will be dramatic

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: First unregulated Box

gfxgfx
gfx gfx