gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 04:36:40 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX-350 Failure
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SX-350 Failure  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Drone

SX-350 Failure
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
My Sx-350 failed a couple of days ago and I have no idea why. I had been using it pretty much exclusively for about 2 weeks and it was providing a flawless vape without any issues. At the time of failure it was sitting on my desk (begging me to vape it some more) and was not being used, and it was not charging. I heard a pop and some smoke occurred. I unscrewed the the Aerotank Mega and took off the back cover. I removed the battery, which was very cool and saw just the one area of the board burned, the chip right next to where the battery positive and USB positive connect. There were no melted or heat damaged wires anywhere, not even the battery or USB pos wires and there were no burn marks anywhere on the inside of the case. So I have no clue what caused this and thought I would take a few pics (crappy from my cell phone) and post them here for some advice. I contacted the vendor, Elev8 Vape and they said to send it for them to look at.

Here are a few pics showing the damaged chip and the undamaged wires around it. Also a pic of the underside of the burned chip, which looks fine to me. Any insight is appreciated. I can take more pics if someone thinks it would be valuable, but the board will be shipped out Monday morning, so please request any additional pics before then. Thanks in advance for any help determining why this happened.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: SX-350 Failure
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »
The Earths magnetic field is due to flip any day soon so perhaps this field effecting has caused it.

It also could be of course if you were vaping some of my top secret butterpuffnutty 4-Y-R reserve yeah that'll do it..
The waves of mental ambrosia overloading caused electrons to flow at rates higher than any known kinetic energy and yup yup

Bummer

Hope turns out warranty that suxxs..

Offline Drone

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
The Earths magnetic field is due to flip any day soon so perhaps this field effecting has caused it.

It also could be of course if you were vaping some of my top secret butterpuffnutty 4-Y-R reserve yeah that'll do it..
The waves of mental ambrosia overloading caused electrons to flow at rates higher than any known kinetic energy and yup yup

Bummer

Hope turns out warranty that suxxs..

I'm leaning towards the magnetic field theory. I don't want to mention the butterpuffynut since I heard that would void my warranty.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
I wonder if that gunk stuff they stick on their components to hide what they are, broke down and caused a short?
Also can't be good for parts when in use, trapping heat.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
Bummer

Offline Drone

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
TBH, I would much rather have a failure that shows a clear reason like melted wires or what looks like arc welding on the inside of the case or something. Or even that it happened while vaping. But this mod was just sitting and not being used... very strange. Maybe it didn't like that I had been using an Aerotank at only 9watts for the last day and it wanted to bust out the phat 50watt cloudz. Dunno what to think except it was just a component failure. And if this wasn't such a brilliant board I probably wouldn't bother with a repair, but this is honestly the best vape experience I've ever had so I will replace it. It sucks going back to my Provari and spare Cloupor DNA30 mod. It will be interesting to see what Elev8 does with this, I'll be sure to let you all know how they handle it.

Offline Drone

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
An update to the failed SX-350. I hadn't heard anything from Elev8 since I sent the chip in for warranty evaluation, but today received a brand new chip in a sealed antistatic bag from them. Very pleased with Elev8 for taking care of this, and they definitely will be a company I recommend. Mod should up and running tonight, very pleased. Huuuge shoutout to Elev8vape.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
An update to the failed SX-350. I hadn't heard anything from Elev8 since I sent the chip in for warranty evaluation, but today received a brand new chip in a sealed antistatic bag from them. Very pleased with Elev8 for taking care of this, and they definitely will be a company I recommend. Mod should up and running tonight, very pleased. Huuuge shoutout to Elev8vape.

Great news Drone

Offline miskol

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
wow thats the worst blacky stuff covering on the SX350 i've seen, nearly all the bottom surface are covered

Offline Drone

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
wow thats the worst blacky stuff covering on the SX350 i've seen, nearly all the bottom surface are covered

I agree with you Miskol. With the black gunk so close to the solder pads it makes it hard to solder leads. The black stuff melts and runs into the through holes and solder won't stick. I had to use a helping hands tool to hold the board so the solder pad was higher than the black gunk so when it melted it would not run into the hole I was soldering. I wish there was an easy way to remove all the black stuff, I'm just not aware of a way to do it.

Offline Jashe123

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Has anyone ever had the screen read check battery when the batteries are fine. Can't figure it out. Brand new chip by the way

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
Perhaps you are exceeding the capability of your batteries with you coil ohm rating and wattage setting. Try turning down your output setting and see it that helps.

Offline Jashe123

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »
I think I figured it out the up/down buttons weren't working so I went off of the battery ground to the tach switches. Problem is when I took the chip back out I broke it. I'm getting nothing out of it now on lcd. Won't do that again. Lol. Ordering another chip today with pre wired up/down wires. Thanks Breaktru raged:

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX-350 Failure

gfxgfx
gfx gfx