gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 10:34:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Soldering success...finally
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Soldering success...finally  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
Soldering success...finally
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
The cradles I designed for 3D printing are due in this week so I did some soldering.
My previous 2 attempts building a circuit from scratch which ended with no joy I went with a DNA this time, yes it's an Evolv.
Was nice to see the screen light up.

Think the lens on my phone is a bit rough.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Soldering success...finally
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »
Can't really critique your soldering skills since the focus isn't good enough, but congrats on a successful job. 

If you want to make soldering pretty much foolproof, try using a flux pen.  It makes the solder flow really well and joints always come out shiny and smooth.  I use this one; http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Kester-Solder/186FP

The flux works best when used liberally so you need to clean it off after soldering is completed.  A Q-tip and 91% rubbing alcohol from the drug store works nicely.  You can use technical grade isopropyl alcohol if you don't mind spending the extra for it.  Works a little better since it's pure (no water), but the drug store stuff works well enough.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm using rosin core solder and I wiped down each contact point with rubbing alcohol after repositioning it in the clamps. The joints look nice, the wire just sticks out of the board about a 1/32 with a round dollop of solder flowed in, no globs.
I think my previous attempts to build a TI PTR I was just working in to cramped conditions on the board for my ability's and probably overheated a component. 
This time around the lights turned on and I actually heard the atty fire.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »
Congrats on your soldering success  :applaude:

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Soldering success...finally

gfxgfx
gfx gfx