gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 10:11:44 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Question about different batteries for modding
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Question about different batteries for modding  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Reckful

Question about different batteries for modding
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
Hello every one,

I don't know if this has been asked before but I didn't see anything on it. I was wondering if some one could give me information or details about using different batteries for modding (Lip batteries) outside of the original 18650 batteries.

I do see that using batteries like this seems to give you more space as well as cut down on the amount of parts needed to complete the mod but I am more worried about the life as well as is it "Really worth" the time and investment.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Question about different batteries for modding
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
I've been using Li-Po batteries for years in mods. The flat type as well as the cylindrical type.
See Craig's comments: HERE

Offline Reckful

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
Thank you breaktru for the information as well as the link. I have been thinking about using them but just wanted to get additional information in regards to them before I start. Do they last longer or what is the complete benefits of them being used in mods? I have just started making mods and would like to open up my options.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
The main advantage with a LiPo is power delivery.  They typically have higher drain rates with smaller size.  However, the latest big name high drain 18650s compare similarly to the high drain LiPos in terms of power delivery.  They have the additional advantage of higher energy density meaning they hold more charge in a smaller volume.

The nice thing about LiPos is they are flat which can be ideal for a box mod.  There are round LiPos as Breaktru shows in the photo, but they are not as widely available.  You can use them if you like with similar advantages. 

Probably the biggest advantage is LiPos can be soldered easily.  It's possible to solder 18650s and I do it, but I would not recommend anyone attempt it unless you are highly confident in your soldering skills.  It's very, very easy to overheat them and damage them.  Makers strongly recommend against soldering them, but it is possible to do it.  The best thing is to use welded tabs which you can do yourself with a capacitive spot welder or buy them with tabs already installed.  They're not widely available with tabs though.

In terms of safety, LiPos rate between the the ICR type (LiCo) and IMR type (LiMn).  They are not as safe as IMR cells but safer then ICR cells.  You do need some kind of short circuit protection when using them.  A short can cause them to ignite.  You should also have some kind of over-discharge protection with them.  They should not be taken below 3.0V where the big name high drain 18650s can be taken down to 2.5V or even 2.0V for the LG HE2.

A really big consideration with LiPos is they are encased in a thick foil in comparison to a steel tube for a typical round cell.  They are highly vulnerable to physical damage.  A puncture will invariably cause them to ignite.  The being the case, you need to enclose them in a way that protects them physically.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »
LiPo's just don't compare to 18650's. I tried my OKL 20amp mod with both and the LiPo is just better. Delivers the power faster, don't ask my how I can tell, It just makes a difference. I love the LiPo. Get one of those little $10 balance chargers and one of those little digital testers from eBay and your all set. My OKL mod has nothing but a 510 and a tactile switch on the outside. The lid is magnetic and keep the digital tester in the mod and just pull it out and plug it in to test my voltage. Been using the same battery daily for 4 months now. It's still within .1 V between cells. It gets charged every day and I never let the voltage go below 7.5V.

Offline Reckful

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »
Thank you all for replying back to me and all the information that has been provided in this post does make everything a lot more clearier than it has been. I guess my next mod that I will be making, I will have to use lipo (which I will be using for my unregulated mod)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
Yes LiPos have good longevity, probably about the same as an IMR cell, good for at least 500 cycles.

One additional note about LiPos, you can get them individually or in packs with a power and charging connector (intended for hobby applications).  For the ones in packs, you use a power connector to hook them up.  For charging they have a balance charging connector and you would use a balance charger.  You can also get them individually.  Those need to be soldered so you can either add your own connectors or hard-wire them. 

For single cell applications you would probably use a hard-wired individual cell with a USB charger.  Though you can get the 1S cells in an enclosure with connectors.  For series cells, you would probably use a pack and a balance charger.  You don't have to use a ready made pack, but it's probably most convenient for series cells.  Using a 3s pack (3 cells in series) with a step-down converter is a good option since it provides the widest output voltage range and the regulators typically have the input voltage range for that.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Question about different batteries for modding

gfxgfx
gfx gfx