gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 06:58:44 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: DNA 40 Cradles - with and without screen
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DNA 40 Cradles - with and without screen  (Read 34771 times)

Offline Darthpistachio

DNA 40 Cradles - with and without screen
« on: November 15, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
I've uploaded a few designs for a DNA 40 chip mount to Sculpteo and Shapeways - I haven't received one myself yet to test fit it still waiting and shapeways messed up the first print :( - just giving you guys a heads up on its existence for the moment...

It's designed primarily for a C/Hana styled enclosure but could be used in any suitable enclosure really.. I'm totally open to requests for different designs along the same lines once I have surmised the core sections don't need modification - additional sections would be relatively easy to add on to it..

Considering how the prior versions of the DNA board could be destroyed by no reverse battery protection and taking into account the current intermittent issues with the new board that some people are having - I wanted to design a mount that would allow easy removal of the entire chip and screen would it be necessary rather than glueing it in place.

For the moment I Just envisage that if the mount is secured in place that the screen is slid into it's slot and then the board placed and screwed down - i've designed the slot so that there should be extremely little lateral movement for the screen but I'm aware that it could slide up and down within the slot - my idea is to simply cut a piece of high density foam from a craft shop and place a wedge at the end where the cable comes out to prevent the screen from moving lengthwise.

I've also left the mount holes go all the way through the device incase a modder wished to screw the mount inside his case and place all components in - (say stick the screen down with some thin double sided tape and then mount it with screws through the chip and mount in place within the box)

as always I am open to any suggestions... but the key point is to make sure the chip is able to be removed in future...

It's needs to be borne in mind that this is an issue with only the Hana style enclosure - if a modder is mounting his screen in a bezel instead using the no screen mount -- it's a moot issue...

CHIP + SCREEN CRADLE

shapeways
sculpteo

CHIP CRADLE

shapeways
sculpteo

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: DNA 40 Cradles - with and without screen
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
Excellent work mate. Great design  ;cheers;

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
Success! - Sculpteo mount arrived this morning and it's a perfect fit - impressed with the print quality and tolerances from Sculpteo.  They are the cheaper option for shipping for anyone in the UK or Europe.  This design will be coming out of Beta this evening.

Here is preliminary testing of all fixtures and chip mounting:

At this point this mount is ready for most any box mod! - However there are a few things to be noted for mounting in a HANA style enclosure. I knew from the beginning that with the extra width of the DNA 40 there would be very tight tolerances - indeed with just the plastic cradle and the screws there is plenty of flex in the cradle to allow you to push it into the hana enclosure and be secure

but that's just wishful thinking because when you fix the chip - it's board removes all flex entirely - and now you face a problem in that the heads of the screws used to fix the board to the cradle now overlap a fraction on the sides and you will no longer be able to slide the cradle along with the chip into the enclosure. I could have gone with a smaller screw but you'd be on the edge of its ability to secure the board and the thread pitch would be tiny and the 3d printed holes might not be up to the job when you go the next size down - so bearing all that in mind I always intended to use this method...

with whatever you are comfortable using - I chose this:

with the chip mounted and screwed to the cradle -- carefully grind a small flat into the sides of the screw heads - not much is needed - just 1/3rd to 1/2 mm  -

keep trying it until you whole assembly can slide easily with just a little force applied into the enclosure. When it's in there - all you need to do now is to apply a 1/8th turn more on each screw and the heads of the screws will work like cams - gripping the sides of the enclosure with some lateral force and clamping the whole assembly in place very securely!  ;)

and yes I know it looks like there is no clearance for the wattage adjust button - but the cradle isn't in it's proper place in that picture - in the right place the button fits there snug as a bug in a rug with about 2mm clearance

As long as shapeways print process is as accurate as Sculpteo's I can see that going out of beta very soon also...

:)

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
Great work, Darthpistachio.  I really like the idea of using the screws to cam it into place too!  I know what I'll be using to mount my DNA 40 now (as soon as I get one).  Any idea on cost, and who would be cheaper for the states?

And thanks for sharing the great pic's too.

Wayne

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »
 I think Shapeways generally is cheaper in shipping for the US  it would be a tad under $5 to ship something this small

- Sculpteo is pretty good on prices for shipping for the UK and Europe as they're based in France - But I know they are pricey to ship to the states naturally...

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:35:40 AM »
I've got a few questions regarding the screen fixing - The cradle was designed so that the base would be fitted against the body of the mod and there would be a slot to accommodate the screen.

With regards to the Hana style enclosure - it's not that simple - and the kit comes with a piece of plastic to further protect the screen when the whole assembly is in place. I did think of this and the intention was to affixe that piece of plastic to the base of the cradle and then provide a nice pocket to securely hold the screen in place.  - The photo below shows the piece of plastic that comes with the kit - which is a bit thick for my personal tastes and I will be changing it for a thin piece of acetate or other suitable plastic - which myself I will just secure with some sellotape to the base of the cradle and thus hold the screen nice and snugly in place. 

I did consider adding some features to hold the plastic in place but there are too many variables - people might choose - like myself - to use thinner plastic or the kit makers may change the plastic etc.....

Online mjacksonrigg

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
Wonderful work  :rockin smiley:
Thank you so much for providing a means to accommodate the DNA. That is mighty nice of you to share it with us.  :thankyou:

Offline airkaos

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Epic work darthpistachio

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
Okelly Dokelly!

Got this tester mod finished: -

used a custom switch for the fire button - not the exact one I wanted but it will suffice - wanted something with space in the enclosure.
Used silicone wire for the wattage adjustments and fire button. little bit thicker on the insulation-but a lot more flexible.
Used SUGRU to hold the adjust buttons in place and to blank off the USB charging holes and to insulate the rear of the fire switch.
Not using on-board charging - takes too long - will be modding case for magnets in a few days..
Used a small piece of high density foam in the channel for the screen to ensure that it was centred in the Enclosure screen cut-out with the cradle in the final position.

Looks tidy - works great!  Very pleased with the result!  :)

Offline airkaos

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
What 510 are you using that is so long???

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
That came out exceptionally well.  :rockin smiley:

Offline blank

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
Looks awesome. Anyone know if this will fit the "Mini" Hana box?

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
What 510 are you using that is so long???

spring loaded centre pin OCD one from Stealthvapes -

Advantage:  spring loaded centre pin
Disadvantage - LONG!    ;)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
Looks awesome. Anyone know if this will fit the "Mini" Hana box?

Nope it won't - too wide as it is accommodating the mount screws for the board - I believe you'd need to snap off the side mounts to get it in there   :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Shapeways mounts arrived and passed all tests!  All mounts are now out of beta everywhere  :)

Fitting hints and tips:

I recommend Size0 1.5mm thread self tapping stainless screws of approx 6-7mm length for mounting the board - there will be no issues with screw head overhang with these screws.

There are some variables involved with the screen placement:
  {i} Modifications to production runs for the cutout on the Hana style enclosure
 {ii} where the modder wishes to place the cradle dependant on switch size and positions

therefore I allowed for this in the design - a piece of high density foam of approx 1.5-1.6mm thickness - available for a pittance at any craft store - should be cut and placed in the screen well to give perfect placement of the screen horizontally in your particular build. :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
I have a bulk order coming from Sculpteo - due on or around 11th December. - They will be all standard white flexible plastic.
It is not a huge order as I am still gauging demand for them and what would be the best quantities to order.

I will be selling them for £7.25

that cost will include:
  • 1 x DNA mount
  • 4 x Size 0 screws - 1.5mm thread -  self tappers
  • 1 x piece of foam for precise screen alignment
  • 1st class postage UK

if anyone is interested please PM me so I can gauge demand  :)

thanks all!  :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 03:38:11 AM »
Sculpteo batch arrived early - sending out mounts now to all that wanted one:

I have 19 left - first come first served :)

Cheers  :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
10 left  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:29:26 PM by Darthpistachio »

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
Hey Darthpistachio,

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a DNA 40 board, and I'm gonna use your cradle.  I would really like to help you reduce your on hand supply, but I know that might be cost prohibitive, since I'm in the States.  If you're interested in that though, PM me.

Looking forward to using your design,  ;cheers;
Wayne

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
A few people have not followed through with their requests so now there are a few more available

There are just 12 Left and then this batch is gone  :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
8 Left  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:53:38 PM by Darthpistachio »

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
3 Left  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:05:29 PM by Darthpistachio »

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
There is now a version for the large screen model available on Shapeways as of this morning  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:38:09 AM by Darthpistachio »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
Great news Darth

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 12:38:42 AM »
Now only ONE left :)

will have to gauge whether I should order another batch now - please PM if you think I should and there will be continuing demand for a more local purchase option :)

Offline Darthpistachio

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
This batch is now all gone!  :)  Nice to see that they have all been well received.!

Demand "seems" to be tapering off a bit - but I expect I will get in another batch very soon  - as always bookmark for updates  :)

Alternatively would people like to see a dedicated website setup for purchase of these mounts directly for anyone living in UK? With Quantity available dynamically updated?

Let me know  :)

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: DNA 40 Cradles - with and without screen

gfxgfx
gfx gfx