gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 08:00:06 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline wa9w00d

Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
I've only been vaping for about five months, but I think I've learned a bit.  Always ready to learn more, though.
At the moment, I am of the opinion that if you have a device that can develop the voltage to drive it, a single coil setup is a lot less trouble with a similar or even superior result to dual coils.  Back when the only way to higher wattage was a mech, multiple coils were practically a requirement, but I don't see it now.

So if you know a reason why I should go back to the hassle of trying to create a perfectly matched set of coils versus build a single nice coil and set the machine to use it, I'd love to hear it.  :)

Oh, and the ability to use a single coil makes my fav. atty list : Magma, Lemo, Kayfun, Protank II (with re-built cotton wicked coils).  Pretty much in that order, flavor - wise.  If you have other single coil recommendations, I would love to hear about them.

Wayne

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
I've been using a single coil regularly since I started vaping several years ago.  I've used dual coils on occasion but only to try them and see how they do.  I always go back to a single coil normally.

A dual coil gives you double the vapor production which can be needed if that's what you want.  In my case and probably for most vapers, a single coil can deliver the desired vapor production.  The dual coil thing is needed for those looking for maximal vapor production which is probably not most vapers.

Regulated (variable) mods have been around for quite some time.  There was a short time when I started vaping probably about 5 years ago that variable mods did not exist, devices like the Darwin and Pro-Vari came out then it was like a floodgate opened for variable devices.  The main thing they do for you is allow a desired power output without a big dependence on coil resistance.  Plus there's the consistent output not affected by state of charge on the battery.

In terms of dual or single coil, that's more a matter of personal preference.  Typically a variable mod is not going to be able to support the lower resistance that comes with a dual coil setup, but that's changing with the abundance of high power variable mods now.  Even so, dual coil cartomizers were popular a few years ago with resistances around 1.5 Ohms which any variable mod can handle.  So you can simply run a higher resistance for your dual coils if need be.

Offline wa9w00d

Re: Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
Thanks, Craig.  Very good info there.  I know when I've made dual coil setups, I've never gotten a perfectly matched set.  I've come close, measured with one coil mounted, made sure that resistance was exactly half (as best as could be measured) after mounting the other, checked and tweaked during dry burn that everything was equal to the eye, and it would perform very well, but even then, by the time re-wicking was due, you could tell that the two coils weren't exactly equal. 

I guess that's my OCD kicking in. It just bugs me.  And then the electronics tech in me whispers that, you know, if you want 20 watts, then  it's simpler to up the voltage on a single load, rather than trying to balance the current across two loads.  I know that the truth is that it makes wicking even more critical with a single coil (boy, everything effects everything else when vaping),  just been easier for me to deal with that, it seems.

Wayne

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Any reason for dual coils on a regulated mod?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx