gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 07:06:54 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: delta 80 amp questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: delta 80 amp questions  (Read 11727 times)

Offline Chicob13

delta 80 amp questions
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
So I am in the works of planing my delta 80 amp box mod. And I want it to be fairly small like a Hammond box. I'm designing it on a 3d printer and everything. But I have a couple of questions for you guys reguarding the wiring and battery setup. What guage wire do you guys susuggest for the actual power wires that are going to be handleing all the current? For the switch I was going to be using 22 guage. I was planing on using 16 gauge soldered into 12 for the main power leads. Another question I have is batter setup. I am currently planning on using 3s2p Lipo setup with a max mah of 2000. Do you guys suggest more like a 2p4s setup for more mah? I'm just wondering if having an extra volt of buffer protection would outwheigh the extra mah. Also this is the wiring diagram I currently have for it. If you guys have any other ones to share or add to please do.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: delta 80 amp questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
With a 400W output, you're getting into some extreme current demands.

Current demands as high as 80 Amps are calling for some pretty heavy cables.  You're probably looking at 10 or 12 gauge for the battery.  The high C rating 3S LiPo packs normally have cables like that already.  The cables need to be even heavier for the atomizer connection as you're increasing current with respect to the power supply. 

You'd need something like a 40C 3S LiPo, like this; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9942__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2200mAh_3S1P_40C.html

That's probably going to be bigger than a Hammond box, but you need a battery that can comfortably handle 50A.  You'd use similar gauges for power in and out as the RC models those 3S LiPos are designed for.

Your MOSFET should be rated for at least 50A, but that's minimum.  You'd probably want to parallel a couple of them. 

It's really quite an extreme setup, but if you want 80A available at the atomizer, that's what you need. 

Also, any battery rated for outputs that high is going to be pretty volatile.  Be real careful about any possibility of shorts or physical damage to the battery.  When those high output hobby LiPos go off, they can explode violently.  A much safer setup would be a 6 pack of 30A 18650s, two parallel sets of 3 in series, it presents some complications but would be much safer.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:20:30 PM by CraigHB »

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
"Be real careful"
+1  :D

Offline hyenaboy34

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Good luck, I would be scared to put that much power let alone heat to my face. Have you found an ATTY that is not going to melt when you hit it at 80Amps yet? Let alone one that if it won't you will be able to build a big enough coil so you can do more than a nano second hit? Good luck and have fun, post video if you ever get it flaming

Offline Chicob13

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
With a 400W output, you're getting into some extreme current demands.

Current demands as high as 80 Amps are calling for some pretty heavy cables.  You're probably looking at 10 or 12 gauge for the battery.  The high C rating 3S LiPo packs normally have cables like that already.  The cables need to be even heavier for the atomizer connection as you're increasing current with respect to the power supply. 

You'd need something like a 40C 3S LiPo, like this; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9942__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2200mAh_3S1P_40C.html

That's probably going to be bigger than a Hammond box, but you need a battery that can comfortably handle 50A.  You'd use similar gauges for power in and out as the RC models those 3S LiPos are designed for.

Your MOSFET should be rated for at least 50A, but that's minimum.  You'd probably want to parallel a couple of them. 

It's really quite an extreme setup, but if you want 80A available at the atomizer, that's what you need. 

Also, any battery rated for outputs that high is going to be pretty volatile.  Be real careful about any possibility of shorts or physical damage to the battery.  When those high output hobby LiPos go off, they can explode violently.  A much safer setup would be a 6 pack of 30A 18650s, two parallel sets of 3 in series, it presents some complications but would be much safer.

thank you for the reply guys, and i know about lipo safety. i mainly use .1 ohm coils right now. and that is no where near 80 amps. im not going to be taking this box to the moon and back, its not going to be going under any stress like that. it is only a max of 5 volts to the atomizer so it shouldn't be that many amps right?

Offline Chicob13

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
at max 5 volts and the ohms being .1 that makes for 50amps and 250 watts

Offline hyenaboy34

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
exactly, but at 5VDC and .0625 Ohm coil that makes 400Watts. Not saying you will do it all the time but you know when you have a device that can you have to try at least once. Hence I tried on my OKL at 176 Watts...once!. Talk about insane heat and not enjoyable at all. I live around .2-.3 now and am very pleased with its performance.

Offline Chicob13

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
see, i want this for my atlantis and my dripper. i drip around .1 atlantas .5 of course

Offline hyenaboy34

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
man, hats off to you, Haven't like dripping at .1 myself. This will definitely fit your bill though and safely as long as you get in front of the battery issues.  :beer-toast:

Offline Chicob13

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
Fuses. I will be using them

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
The setup has to be capable of the maximum the regulator can put out regardless of whether it's actually used or not.  The reason is that the regulator will not limit current output until it exceeds an amount above the maximum rating.  If an atomizer fault occurs that causes the regulator to go into current limiting, you need to be confident nothing is going to melt down.  Otherwise an electrical fire could occur setting off the battery.

The only fuse that will work for currents that high is the single use type.  The inexpensive ones like the automotive blade fuses are slow-blow and they don't pop until currents are about 1.5 times over the rating stamped on them.  A fuse alone may not protect from an overload, though it will cover hard shorts well enough.  That being the case, you can't rely on a fuse to eliminate the need to ensure your system can handle maximal regulator loading.

You can use a fast-blow ceramic fuse for better protection, but they are expensive and bulky so it's probably not a great solution for a box mod.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:53:46 PM by CraigHB »

Offline Chicob13

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
But isn't the current split among all the connections?

Offline Stevo2569

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Any updates? Just curious if you survived the explosion and how big this thing ended up being?

Offline MonkeyTokes

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
It really isn't that hard to protect one of these with a couple fuses in parallel. You obviously don't want 80A worth of fuses though, as 80A is the output, 80A at 12 volts would kill the board for sure, so be sure to read the data sheet a pick your fuses accordingly. I think the D12s400 has a 60A max input so go for 50 or so amps.

Personally I'm regretting even agreeing to build one of these -_- this guy wants dual 3S LiPos, gotta use a giant Hammond 1590P1 the size of my head, and these boards are just a pain in the ass. For sure my first and last delta build. Not even going to bother with the 40a I got.

Hope your build went well though!

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: delta 80 amp questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx