gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 06:30:21 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Topic: Things I’ve learned……
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Things I’ve learned……  (Read 26777 times)

Offline wa9w00d

Things I’ve learned……
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
I’m starting this thread to post small things I’ve discovered in the course of living, mostly vaping related, in the hope of being of help to others, even if it’s only by providing entertainment through my obtuseness.  I plan to post multiple times, but I’ll start with this:

These are great for cleaning small parts such as coils and air holes on atomizers.  Oh yeah, you can use them on your teeth in a pinch.  :laughing2:

Offline wa9w00d

Re: Things I’ve learned……
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
I rebuild Protank coils, and for me a coil I.D. of 3/32” holds the right amount of cotton to fill the slots in the base without leaking or choking off, no need for “flavor wicking”.  But a 3/32” arbor (drill bit) is too big to fit in those same slots.

So I have a second arbor (drill bit) that I ground on two sides to fit into the slots.  It holds and supports the coil perfectly while installing grommet and pin.

Side note:  I don’t use Protanks much anymore (mostly Kayfuns nowdays), but I have friends that do, and I will say that the ability to build a bunch of replacements at my leisure is a definite plus.  Even more trivial, but if you read this far… I use six and a half wraps of 30 gage Kanthal and usually end up around two ohms, handles about 9 watts with most juices.
Wayne

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
If you like the small diameter and heat tolerance of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) insulated wire, but are on a budget (and who of us ain’t?), take a look at Modified Polyphenylene Ether (mPPE) wire.

It’s skinny, tolerates the heat well compared to plain PVC, and while it costs more than PVC, it’s not nearly as bad as PTFE.  I believe Alphawire’s brand name for it is Ecowire.

Wayne

By the way, if anyone else feels like sharing small tips, I never meant this to be a “me only” post.  :)

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
A Mr clean magic eraser removes oxidation on the 510 connection male and female with ease.
You can find them at the dollar store a small cut off piece last a long time.

An old water bottle cap makes for a great atomizer stand by poking a hole in the center thats a bit smaller than male 510.  Works great when storing a full dripper, or rebuilding..

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
Know it's been awhile, but I wanted to say to Visus - I've started using your bottle cap idea (I like it),  and I've thought of another tip that I read about and have used.

Some Kayfuns have a very small o-ring on the fill screw.  If you need a replacement, get a grommet from a protank atomizer (the one that isolates the coil leads), put it on a small drill bit or such, use a sharp edge to cut a "slice" off, and viola, replacement o-ring.

Wayne

Offline thebigkahuna2009

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
New to this forum, hacks for keeping atomizers clean reminded me of a photo tutorial I found that compares 3 different clones (Plume Veil), each from a different manufacturer.  One of the big takeaways is sometimes they are so poorly manufactured that they still have metal shards in them from the machining process.  Just a quick reminder to fellow vapers to always inspect and clean clone atomizers before use.  http://kinglyvapes.com/blog/vapehacks-3-mod-clone-comparison-same-clone-3-manufacturers/

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
Hey Kahuna,

In Hawaii, I take it?  And welcome to the forum. Sorry for the slow response, being lazy is my go to excuse.  :)

Yeah, I always clean new hardware that is gonna touch the stuff I'm gonna put in my lungs, cheap or not.

It's one more reason why I only deal with rebuildables nowadays. Why pay for a factory coil if I'm gonna have to clean it anyways?

Cheers, Wayne

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »
Visiting this thread make me think of a small lesson learned a couple of days ago.  If you're drilling on a cheap stainless steel atty, like say a fastech kayfun, use a HSS drill bit.  the carbide bits don't work nearly as well, for me anyway.  I'm not sure why, my theory at the moment is they load up, and then the brittleness makes a broken bit likely.

Anyway, my limited experience says that a quality HSS bit is superior to a quality carbide bit when drilling Chinese stainless. YMMV.

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
I'm getting a little more experience using the NI200 wire on the DNA 40 and 25.
My recommendations at the moment:

Don't: torch it - the oxidation is useless, if anything gives off a bad taste.

Do: pull it through a fold of paper towel pinching it with your fingers several times.  This seems to work harden it a bit, and would clean any residue on it.

Don't: try to twist off the tag ends once mounted. It's too soft and flexible for that. Use clippers of some sort.

Wayne

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »
Oh yeah, I mentioned drilling a kayfun above.  One thing to keep in mind on anything that has a long travel path for the air, finish is at least as important as the diameter (just ask any hotrodder).  get some valve grinding compound or other abrasive, and polish up anything you bother to drill.  The solid end of a same size bit makes a great arbor for that job.

Cheers,
Wayne

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »
Oh yeah, I mentioned drilling a kayfun above.  One thing to keep in mind on anything that has a long travel path for the air, finish is at least as important as the diameter (just ask any hotrodder).  get some valve grinding compound or other abrasive, and polish up anything you bother to drill.  The solid end of a same size bit makes a great arbor for that job.

Cheers,
Wayne

Good ideal with the grinding compound. Thanks Wayne.
I usually use Cobalt bits for Stainless, recommended for SS.
I had my hits and misses with drilling attys. Two Kayfun clones, one went well and the other a failure.

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
Hey and thanks, Break.
If you give drilling an atty another try in the future, do try HSS first.  They are very flexible (and cheap) compared to cobalt, so even if the bit dulls on you, it prolly won't break, and you can then switch to cobalt.  And valve compound is about the cheapest small quantity abrasive you will find.
Wayne

Offline sette

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:25 AM »
have you ever heard about these foods infused cannabis? I tried frozen yogurt infused cannabis before and it really tastes good! and now, there's new and something interesting! On the other hand, Ingesting Cannabis has a side effect that can lead you addiction because of its high dosage that you'll never know how much dosage that food has. By continually do researching, I came across in this article about strains kylekushman.com/topic/best-strains-for-outdoor-growing/

Offline sunny2019by

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »
Hi Wayne, I always clean new hardware that is gonna touch the stuff I'm gonna put in my lungs, cheap or not.

It's one more reason why I only deal with rebuildables nowadays. Why pay for a factory coil if I'm gonna have to clean it anyways?

smok scared:

Offline Haileah

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »
Hi Wayne, I always clean new hardware that is gonna touch the stuff I'm gonna put in my lungs, cheap or not.

smok scared:

Me too

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Topic: Things I’ve learned……

gfxgfx
gfx gfx