gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 01:52:50 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DM - New Type DC-DC Converter Mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DM - New Type DC-DC Converter Mod  (Read 73947 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: DM - New Type DC-DC Converter Mod
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
wow...so I have I think one of these coming on my way...since the 10 amp one is not available?no pot and no caps...how do I adjust?

thanks,...
do you still sell them?

The mod in the OP (1st post) is not the PTR08060W. The video mod above in Reply #45 is.
The PTR08060W is wired exactly like the PTR08100W and the parts are the same. See the "Variable Voltage Evercool Copper Mod" Topic for wiring details. Caps, resistor and pot is required as shown

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
The mod in the OP (1st post) is not the PTR08060W. The video mod above in Reply #45 is.
The PTR08060W is wired exactly like the PTR08100W and the parts are the same. See the "Variable Voltage Evercool Copper Mod" Topic for wiring details. Caps, resistor and pot is required as shown

unfortunately post #45 is blocked by our office network :),
yup..copy that..

thanks,will send a pm thou

Offline methos

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
I am wanting to build this mod ( awesome work breaktru) I have all the parts ordered just patiently waiting (NOT!) for them to get here..lol
One question. I want to put a DP in it and I could only find the DS1809-10. What ohm resistor would I use on the VO line to keep it between 3.7 & 6.2? I have seen posts here with 4.7k,220 & 10k. I guess I am over thinking it because I know it right in front of me. lol
The Dp I want to use is like this one http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=177.0;attach=460;image

I am using the PTR08060W instead of the 8100

TIA for any help you can offer.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
I am wanting to build this mod ( awesome work breaktru) I have all the parts ordered just patiently waiting (NOT!) for them to get here..lol
One question. I want to put a DP in it and I could only find the DS1809-10. What ohm resistor would I use on the VO line to keep it between 3.7 & 6.2? I have seen posts here with 4.7k,220 & 10k. I guess I am over thinking it because I know it right in front of me. lol
The Dp I want to use is like this one http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=177.0;attach=460;image

I am using the PTR08060W instead of the 8100

TIA for any help you can offer.

The 08060w and the  08100w are wired the same. It's difficult to get a 10K DP to work smoothly as a replacement for a 200 ohm pot.
See: Side x Side DP and Side x Side

P.S.
That schematic for the 04050c you linked to was edited by a member. The DP is correct but the rest of the circuit has errors.

Offline methos

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »
I posted that wrong Doh: it's a DS1809-100
As for the basic wiring I was gonna follow this one http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=170.0;attach=495;image

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
I posted that wrong Doh: it's a DS1809-100
As for the basic wiring I was gonna follow this one http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=170.0;attach=495;image

That would be even worst.
An 08060w / 08100w requires a 200 ohm pot. The DS1809-100 is 100K ohm. That would work fine with a 0450c boost board.
Did you look at the links for the Side x Side?

Offline methos

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Ok I reread all the DP threads. I see where I went wrong thinking (or not thinking...lol) that was right. I have linear pots here so I can use those w/ the 8060's .  I'm gonna go with the 8050 for the DP mod. Now after reading more this morning I am interested in using tach/touch switches in my mods (I love your bullet switches)  Would the   STD30PF03LT4 MOSFET be a good choice for both uses ?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
Ok I reread all the DP threads. I see where I went wrong thinking (or not thinking...lol) that was right. I have linear pots here so I can use those w/ the 8060's .  I'm gonna go with the 8050 for the DP mod. Now after reading more this morning I am interested in using tach/touch switches in my mods (I love your bullet switches)  Would the   STD30PF03LT4 MOSFET be a good choice for both uses ?

I am assuming that you mean 0450c and not 8050. If so, look at ---> THIS
There are many mosfets that you can use. Just look at the datasheets to get an idea of the values for RDS(on) and VGS(th)
Also look at ---> THIS

Offline methos

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
That's exactly what needed!!!!!!
http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=215.0;attach=1356;image

Thank You Breaktru!!!!!!  Now I can't wait for the parts to get here!!!

Offline methos

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
Is it ok (safe) to use a USB charger in this case with 2 of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/1066606
run in parallel? I would like to do it but don't want to run into safety issues. Sorry for all the questions but its better safe then sorry.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
Is it ok (safe) to use a USB charger in this case with 2 of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/1066606
run in parallel? I would like to do it but don't want to run into safety issues. Sorry for all the questions but its better safe then sorry.

Parallel is safer than seriesed batteries. See: Battery University

When using batteries in parallell, buy them in pairs. Keep the pairs together and don't mix them with other batteries even if they are the same type.
I would stay away from the poor performance UltraFire batteries.
These are much better: Panasonic and the Sony
I don't believe these batteries mentioned are protected batteries. Perhaps adding a PTC fuse for each cell would be in order.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:01:41 AM by Breaktru »

Offline methos

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Thanks Breaktru. I think I'll be ordering some better battery's for this. I ordered those before I started this project & I can still use them in my old ego-t so they won't go to waste...lol

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
Thanks Breaktru. I think I'll be ordering some better battery's for this. I ordered those before I started this project & I can still use them in my old ego-t so they won't go to waste...lol

It's not that you can't use them. Just that the others are better. I was trying to stop you from ordering but since you did... use them

Offline methos

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
I would rather use the better battery's in this mod anyways :-)  I was looking at the lipo cells but I don't think I'm ready for those yet. LoL

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
There are some not so obvious hazards when using unprotected Li-Ion batteries both in serial and parallel.

For parallel cells, you have to be careful that voltage betwen them is pretty much exactly the same upon initial connection or you could get heavy equalization currents.  If the mismatch is great enough, it can cause a battery fire.  At the minimum, it can damage the cells.  Though, once the cells are connected and equalized they behave as one cell and there's no longer any concern.

Another hazard with parallel cells is if you inadvertently place one into a battery holder backwards.  It's actually pretty easy to do since you really have to look to identify positive and negative on the flat tops.  A reversed cell creates a radical short between the two, each working to push current into the other.  That has to be about the worst thing you could do to a pair of Li-Ion cells.

With parallel cells, I recommend using a USB charger which eliminates the need to remove them for charging.  Eliminating the need to remove the cells eliminates the above hazards.

For series cells, one cell almost always discharges faster than the other.  That's just due to normal tolerances in production.  The risk there is that if the pack is discharged deeply, one of the cells could drop below minimum voltage tolerance.  It damages Li-Ion cells if they are discharged too deeply.

All of these hazards can be avoided with a protected cell, but the problem there is smaller cells may run up against their drain limit.  For example, two protected 14500s in parallel would have a continuous drain limit of only 3 Amps.  Each cell's protection would probably trip around 2 Amps so that would be 4 Amps maximum for the pack.  That's probably enough amperage for most vapers, but if you're using unusually low resistance or unusually high power, your pack could cut out on you.  For larger cells, it's not an issue.  A protected 18650 can usually deliver around 6 Amps.  Two in parallel can deliver up to 12 Amps.

The highest quality cells are the name brand Japanese ones like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.  The best Chinese cells are the AW brand.  For an inexpensive Chinese battery, the eFest brand seems to meet ratings and deliver acceptable performance in benchmark testing.  The "fire" brands are some of the poorest performers so I would have recommended you not buy them, but since you already did, just use them at Breaktru said.

Offline methos

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
Great info Craig! Thank you. I think I am gonna go with the Panasonic as I can pick them up around here or on eBay for cheap. I want to build something that will last a few days between charging and didn't want to have to pull them all the time (like me Itaste SVD) this is gonna be my daily unit till I build something with a DNA20 but I want to start smaller (read "cheaper" lol) and work up from there. I've learned a lot from here and it's really sparked me back into electronics. Thank you Breaktru and the rest of the mod gods for all the very usefull posts and great place to learn.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Welcome, have fun modding!

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
There are some not so obvious hazards when using unprotected Li-Ion batteries both in serial and parallel.

For parallel cells, you have to be careful that voltage betwen them is pretty much exactly the same upon initial connection or you could get heavy equalization currents.  If the mismatch is great enough, it can cause a battery fire.  At the minimum, it can damage the cells.  Though, once the cells are connected and equalized they behave as one cell and there's no longer any concern.

Another hazard with parallel cells is if you inadvertently place one into a battery holder backwards.  It's actually pretty easy to do since you really have to look to identify positive and negative on the flat tops.  A reversed cell creates a radical short between the two, each working to push current into the other.  That has to be about the worst thing you could do to a pair of Li-Ion cells.

With parallel cells, I recommend using a USB charger which eliminates the need to remove them for charging.  Eliminating the need to remove the cells eliminates the above hazards.

For series cells, one cell almost always discharges faster than the other.  That's just due to normal tolerances in production.  The risk there is that if the pack is discharged deeply, one of the cells could drop below minimum voltage tolerance.  It damages Li-Ion cells if they are discharged too deeply.

All of these hazards can be avoided with a protected cell, but the problem there is smaller cells may run up against their drain limit.  For example, two protected 14500s in parallel would have a continuous drain limit of only 3 Amps.  Each cell's protection would probably trip around 2 Amps so that would be 4 Amps maximum for the pack.  That's probably enough amperage for most vapers, but if you're using unusually low resistance or unusually high power, your pack could cut out on you.  For larger cells, it's not an issue.  A protected 18650 can usually deliver around 6 Amps.  Two in parallel can deliver up to 12 Amps.

The highest quality cells are the name brand Japanese ones like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.  The best Chinese cells are the AW brand.  For an inexpensive Chinese battery, the eFest brand seems to meet ratings and deliver acceptable performance in benchmark testing.  The "fire" brands are some of the poorest performers so I would have recommended you not buy them, but since you already did, just use them at Breaktru said.

if you wont mind,

on a vamo,i can set it to a limit of like 15amps.
now I am just  doing like 10amps,
I read that an 18650 just can disperse like 6 amps?
and I am guessing,,18350 is lesser than that,,,

am I gonna be needing to replace my efest batteries soon?
I have like a spare sanyo battery but that kinda came out from a battery pack of a laptop..
what can you recommend would be the safest settings in ohms and amps??

Thanks

Offline methos

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
Ok most of the parts are in for this (yaaa) now it's time for battery's. I've been looking at these http://www.myvaporstore.com/Panasonic_NCR18650B_3400mAh_Battery_p/pn18650.htm and wanted to be sure they would work for me before I order them. Then that brings me to the next question... Charging in the case. I have this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251149612464   It's set to charge at 1000ma but I can change the ma by changing a resister if needed.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 03:51:14 AM »
Use the Panasonic NCR18650PD.  You can get them here really cheap.  Lots of people use that vendor with no issue.  Shipping takes a week or two, but you can't beat the price and free shipping too. 

The NCR18650PD has a higher drain limit and a discharge profile more like an IMR cell.  The problem with the NCR18650B is it's an ICR cell and it also has a steep discharge curve.  It has to be drained to 2.7V to get the full capacity out it.  Most controllers will not drain a cell below 3.0 Volts and some only take them down to 3.3V.  That would drain an NCR18650B only about half way. 

I would actually not recommend the NCR18650B for any e-cig application.  It's a great high quality cell, but it just doesn't have good characteristics for an e-cig.  It's better suited for applications with lower power demands.

That charging board uses a Chinese designed chip and I don't have much faith in Chinese chip design.  It should work, but I doubt it will be able to put out a 1A rate.  Who knows how reliable or safe it would be either.  This one is more expensive, but uses the Microchip MCP73833 which is the same charger controller I use in my own mods.  That's a top quality American designed chip.

You can use a 1A rate with the NCR18650PD.  That cell can be charged with a rate as high as 2.8 Amps.  You just need to power the charger board with a 2A USB wall adapter.  You wouldn't be able to power it off a USB data port, but using an appliance as an expensive USB power supply is a bad idea anyway. 

If you insist on being able to plug into a data port, the rate on the Adafruit board can also be reset by changing out a resistor.  This charger board has a 500mA rate and it's cheaper.  It uses the MCP73831 which is a real basic charger controller, though still a high quality Microchip part.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:22:19 AM by CraigHB »

Offline methos

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
Again Craig GREAT info!!  I missed that on the batt specs.  I have dealt with Fasttech before. Great pricing.  I will go with that battery.
As for the charger again I ordered before I asked :-(  I think I might do a few tests on the output and on an old battery I have and see what it can do. If it doesn't work correctly ill go with the one you suggested. Not
Looking to charade from a USB port I just wanted in circuit charging.

One day soon I want to learn more on the lipo cells. Looks like that may be a good way to go.

Offline ModManCooper

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
Love the mod built!!!

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: DM - New Type DC-DC Converter Mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx