gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 12:26:15 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Triple regulated output mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Triple regulated output mod  (Read 12316 times)

Offline warlordxxx

Triple regulated output mod
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
Ok first off i have to say this isn't my idea it's one inspired by DeeJay and the wonderful trio box mod that he makes.. Edit: must also add that this is also inspired by Nucks fistpack mod

Ok i would like to build a similar mod with dual batteries in serial with three selectable outputs - i know that partly this is done by resistors but i'd also like to wire in a sp3t selector switch to set the output voltage to x/y/z now the only reason i would limit it to 3 outputs is that my other idea is to wire in a tri-colour led so that when voltage x is selected it lights (for example) red when voltage y is selected it goes blue and when voltage z is selected a mix of the two (purple i would assume) ... I have no idea where to start at the moment so any help or advice anyone has please chime in i would love to hear it

Many thanks!

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Triple regulated output mod
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
You do it by switching resistors for the feedback circuit the regulator uses to set output voltage.  You'd have to use a multi-throw switch with another pole for the LEDs because it would mess up the feedback if you tried to do it in parallel with the feedback resistors.

Typically, you'd use a variable resistor instead of switching resistors in and out, but I suppose that's a worthwhile option if you really want to be able to select voltages at discrete levels.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
I was thinking of using a 5 pole Dip switch for a boost converter (04050c).
The 5 resistor would replace the 100k pot. Each Dip pole would have a 20k resistor in parallel, totaling 100k.
The Dip switch would be mounted upside down and with all the Dip switches in the down position (opened) all 5 resistors would be in series giving the lowest voltage output. Placing a dip switch up would close the switch, shunting a resistor.  Each consecutive closed switch (up) would increment voltage.
All resistors plus the 4.7k resistor should give you approximately 3.7v and with all the dip switches on plus the 4.7k, you should get 6.0v
SEE ATTACHED BELOW...

If you are going with 3 selection settings and using two series batteries you would not use the 04050c but perhaps a 08100w or OKR which requires a 200 ohm pot and a 220 ohm fixed resistor.
Your resistor selection for minimum voltage should be 200 ohms plus the 220 ohm fixed. For max voltage output the 3rd resistance should be ZERO plus the 220 ohm fixed. Selection for the 2nd resistor would be your choice.
Of course.... you may NOT want a min and max voltage so you will have to decide what voltage you would like and a little fine tuning may be necessary.

As for the LED, I'll think about it and get back to you... unless someone would like to chime in here....

UPDATE: I see Craig was posting the same time I was typing...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:40:54 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
I was thinking of using a 5 pole Dip switch for a boost converter (04050c).
The 5 resistor would replace the 100k pot. Each Dip pole would have a 20k resistor in parallel, totaling 100k.
The Dip switch would be mounted upside down and with all the Dip switches in the down position (opened) all 5 resistors would be in series giving the lowest voltage output. Placing a dip switch up would close the switch, shunting a resistor.  Each consecutive closed switch (up) would increment voltage.
All resistors plus the 4.7k resistor should give you approximately 3.7v and with all the dip switches on plus the 4.7k, you should get 6.0v
SEE ATTACHED BELOW...

If you are going with 3 selection settings and using two series batteries you would not use the 04050c but perhaps a 08100w or OKR which requires a 200 ohm pot and a 220 ohm fixed resistor.
Your resistor selection for minimum voltage should be 200 ohms plus the 220 ohm fixed. For max voltage output the 3rd resistance should be ZERO plus the 220 ohm fixed. Selection for the 2nd resistor would be your choice.
Of course.... you may NOT want a min and max voltage so you will have to decide what voltage you would like and a little fine tuning may be necessary.

As for the LED, I'll think about it and get back to you... unless someone would like to chime in here....

UPDATE: I see Craig was posting the same time I was typing...

Thanks to you both - i was thinking of the sp3t as an example because what i would like to do is set the voltage from the front of the device without having to hide the dip switches (not the most aesthetically pleasing component lol)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
Use the 3 position selector switch you had in mind, just use the details I mentioned for a 200 ohm pot replacement.
But like craig said, the LED+resistor will mess up the FB circuit.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:03:36 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
Use the 3 position selector switch you had in mind, just use the details I mentioned for a 200 ohm pot replacement.
But like craig said, the LED+resistor will mess up the FB circuit.

That's the thought i had in my mind too with the led i just couldnt picture how to get it in there without messing things up - now another thought just came into my head - instead of one 5mm led 3 smaller leds behind a small clear (frosted) panel would this be easier to achieve ?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
You might be able to use 3 single LED's at the output of the regulator using a Red, Green, Blue LED. They will light in that order.
Calculating of the resistor will be necessary to turn on the LED at a particular voltage.
I see a problem with a possible LED burn out considering the difference of voltage from low to high.

Look at this page I found: http://www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_institute/summer_day4+5light/light_energy_vs_color.html

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Excellent link - now i have a headache lol

Offline SolarRay

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
What about taking this approach:

using a 3 position 2 pole rotary switch.....

1 set of poles would select the resistor for setting the voltage,
the other set of poles would set which led lights.

The LED's with the appropriate resistors would come between the battery and the fire switch.

I can add a schematic diagram later if you need it.

I am not sure if you can find one with enough amp rating and the correct size.....not sure but; I think that a switch used for this purpose the Amp rating can be the bare minimum or slightly less when not switched under load.

Fire switches are usually under load so they  definitely need to be the appropriate amp rating.

CraigHB, Breaktru any thoughts? :Thinking:

Offline SolarRay

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
Triple regulater schematic for 2 pole 3 position rotary switch

I think something like this CK 5amp would work.
http://www.ck-components.com/index.php?module=media&action=Display&cmpref=13380&lang=en&width=&height=&format=&alt=
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:15:01 PM by SolarRay »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:15 AM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:02:02 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 06:45:18 AM »
Many thanks Ray and Breaktru - ordered the same switch from the UK ... i really should get a breadboard lol

Offline SolarRay

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:48:54 AM »
did you order from Maplin? I used to live in Manchester back in 1998, now I live back in the Midwest USA. I guess there are plenty of places to order from these days..

Let us know how it works out.  :)

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »
did you order from Maplin? I used to live in Manchester back in 1998, now I live back in the Midwest USA. I guess there are plenty of places to order from these days..

Let us know how it works out.  :)

Ordered from Rapidonline - Maplins tend to be a little expensive :)

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Triple regulated output mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx