gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:59:06 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Small 16x2 Alphanumeric LCD Display
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Small 16x2 Alphanumeric LCD Display  (Read 15076 times)

Offline sterling101

Small 16x2 Alphanumeric LCD Display
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:57 AM »
Chinese special but bloody hell it's cheap and small (47mm x 20mm x 8mm) - eBay Link

Make a great display for a small MCU box mod - really tempted to pick one up just for messing with and throw the first prototype of the new board into a box for testing :)

Offline thetruckinggeek

Re: Small 16x2 Alphanumeric LCD Display
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Chinese special but bloody hell it's cheap and small (47mm x 20mm x 8mm) - eBay Link

Make a great display for a small MCU box mod - really tempted to pick one up just for messing with and throw the first prototype of the new board into a box for testing :)
here is a link to the same part us funds http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-1602-16x2-LCD-Display-Module-Yellow-Green-Backlight-Character-Lcd-/150869819035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23208abe9b

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
Those eBay sellers are all China vendors anyway.  The link below is a China vendor with an actual web site where you can look at just displays.  They have similar prices to those eBay sellers. 

http://www.buydisplay.com

They carry some really cool little OLED displays for cheap if you can deal with an FPC cable.  I suggest using a ZIF connector.  All the usual suspects carry them.  You can solder FPC cables directly to the board, but I've used the the ZIF connectors before and they're much better, way stronger.

Oh, they carry the ZIF connectors too;

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/accessory/we-offer-fpc-connector-zif-connector-pin-header-ffc-for-lcd-module-or-oled-module

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:59:02 PM by CraigHB »

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
If anyone's still looking, I found a 5 pack for $11 on amazon today:
http://www.amazon.com/0-99V-3-Wire-Voltmeter-Display-Digital/dp/B00EUTR4PG/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402939085&sr=1-12&keywords=led+voltmeter#productDetails

[edit]  sorry, I put this post in the wrong place-- this is a mini voltmeter-- brain's on total fart duty today. [/edit]

Offline miskol

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »
Those eBay sellers are all China vendors anyway.  The link below is a China vendor with an actual web site where you can look at just displays.  They have similar prices to those eBay sellers. 

http://www.buydisplay.com

they sell very cheap!!

unfortunately i have spent a lot of time with this OLED i'm currently working on, their price expensive compared to the link given by Craig and unfortunately i just learned the shipping charges is not cheap also, USD70 for 10 pieces of OLED.
https://www.crystalfontz.com/products/product.php?partname=CFAL12832DB

i might just buy them soon since thinking of the time i've spent on it, i might just buy them and try to sell the breakout board i developed for the OLED among my colleagues.

oh but the advantage of this OLED is that it requires no external components (if used with 3.3v MCU), something that i haven't found on other OLEDs.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
What is with these US sellers charging ridiculous amounts for international shipping.  Chinese sellers will ship stuff anywhere for a few dollars, it takes a while, but it's cheap.  We do have inexpensive international shipping in the states, USPS first class international airmail.  I've used that service a lot and I can usually send small, light packages for a few dollars, takes about a week from US to UK so its pretty fast.

Offline miskol

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
i've asked them for any cheaper shipping options and even asked if it is possible to use USPS. they replied saying that it will be much more expensive since they will have to go to the post office so they will charge for handling fees...

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
They're full of crap, they just don't want to service international customers.  I'm sure I could go to the post office and ship an overseas package of small displays like that for less than 10 USD.

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
Agreed.  I WAS going to order some samples from onmicro last night, until I realized that the separate shipping and handling fees would cost more than just ordering the parts with shipping from digikey.

The only upside would be that I could get 5 of each part that you would otherwise need to order 3000 of from DK, or actually get parts that DK doesn't even stock (like OM's 3v voltage supervisor in active high configuration).

What would REALLY be nice is if RadioShack's slogan would cease to be "You've got questions, we've got cell phones".  I miss the days of diving into the pile of parts they used to carry... now it's just pathetic.  I've got a mom&pop electronic components shop nearby (greenbrookelectronics.com) that are usually good for the more obscure components (including vacuum tube sockets-- and their working tube tester)... but there's typically a $5 premium on every stinking part in the place, though if you're looking for some nostalgia, they still have a box of circa 1950's "solid state" components!

I was REALLY hoping that the Arduino craze would bring hobby electronics back into enough of a demand that price and availability would become more approachable, but from the looks of it if it doesn't come on a "shield", it doesn't sell.

//end rant

Offline c1truz

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
buydisplay.com is really cheap.  I bought 2 character displays and a graphical one from them.  Plus an ass load of zif connectors. 

The downside?  Shipping time.  It took them a week to ship it.  Then they shipped it by boat not air mail and it took almost another month for me to get them.  So if you aren't in a hurry they are fine but I'd rather pay more and get it within a week. 

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Small 16x2 Alphanumeric LCD Display

gfxgfx
gfx gfx