gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 04:18:55 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Watts - Do you? Would you? Why?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Watts - Do you? Would you? Why?  (Read 7294 times)

Offline sterling101

Watts - Do you? Would you? Why?
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
So it seems with the release of the ZMAX it seems PV's running on watts instead of volts is the in thing.

Now I understand the attraction as if you find a wattage that suits you it can basically transfer between any resistance atomizer.
But is this really the be all and end all or just the latest thing that everyone catches on to and will get bored of soon?

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on tuning with watts instead of volts?  Do you want it?  Would you choose it over volts and why?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Watts - Do you? Would you? Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
I can get by just fine running with variable voltage, in fact, I prefer it.  Of course, my mods include a wattmeter and an ammeter.  I actually find current a more useful gauge than anything else, believe it or not.  You can get the most consistency between various coil lengths by running the same current through each one.  Makes sense since coil wire temperature is going to be dependant on current.  Power only gives you the total heat, not the actual wire temperature.  A long coil with higher power can actually have lower wire temperature than a short coil with lower power even though total heat is greater with the higher wattage.  It's the temperature the juice sees when it comes in contact with the coil that can make a big difference.

Generally speaking, there are just too many variables for power to be the end all gauge in tuning atomizer performance.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
I have both in my MCU mods and find no difference. Like Craig I have a display for Voltage, Wattage and Amperage so adjusting to a sweet spot is easy for either my DNA, Boost or Step Down MCU mods.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
I guess it's more an issue for mods that have the simple two digit led displays where you have little or no information without getting vibration white finger from going through the click cycle menus.
I'l probably put a method to switch from volts to watts on my mod as it's a simple code change and I could make it switch between the two by pressing both adjustment buttons together.

I suppose it will be more apparent if one of the big players like Provape bring something to market but I can't help feeling it's a bit of a fad driven by people who don't quite understand the differences but like the results.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
Don't know about the be all and end all, but it's nice to have choices.  Even though most people using VV are probably setting voltages for different atty's to achieve a single wattage range I think. 

I'm fairly new to vaping (6 months) and am choosing the DNA for my first mod.  I'm mainly choosing it for how easy it is to work with and understand.  I guess I'll form my opinion on VW once I get it done, if I ever do lol.

Offline steamEngine

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
I'm not impressed with Variable Wattage. I could take it or leave it. If it were cheaper or even the same price I would build one. Until then, I'm happy using a Variable Voltage.
People are jumping on the DNA as an easy solution to build a mod. I don't think it's any easier than any DC-DC converter to build.
Is it because there are parts drawn on the DNA case next to the pins. That's retarded

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
It's not the pretty pictures that interests me about  the dna.  It was the fact that Evolv did the research and put the time in to build a good `feature set, including safety,  that otherwise would have to be implemented externally.  The small size was a factor as well.

Online FlameOut

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
It's not the pretty pictures that interests me about  the dna.  It was the fact that Evolv did the research and put the time in to build a good `feature set, including safety,  that otherwise would have to be implemented externally.  The small size was a factor as well.

I agree with you Kott  :beer-toast:

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Watts - Do you? Would you? Why?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx