gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:39:34 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Rebuildable Genisis Style - Mesh and Coil Tip
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rebuildable Genisis Style - Mesh and Coil Tip  (Read 9930 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Rebuildable Genisis Style - Mesh and Coil Tip
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
I have been using my SmokTek Vivi w/ a SS 400 mesh for awhile. I found making new wicks and coils were a hit and miss with good wicking and vapor production.
Been following a thread over at ECF on what others were doing and most of the advise fell short. I experimented a lot with some of the tips and found this to work the best... so far.

I found that rolling a mesh wick (400) with a wider piece, tightly and leaving NO center hole wicked better.
I first torched the wick without quenching so not to temper it, which keeps the wick soft. Tempering makes it stiff. The soft wick makes it easier to roll it tight. You do not want to see daylight through the center when holding it up to a light. The rolling may take several tries to get it extremely tight. I roll, open it and roll again several times.
Also, the wick needs space around the hole for better wicking. I start with a wide cut mesh and may have to trim some width off for clearance for insertion into the hole.
Once I have my wick made, I oxidize it with a torch 3 or 4 times then burn on some juice or plain VG 5 or 6 times. I check the wick w/ an ohmmeter to make sure it's not conductive.

When a coil is fired up, the wire stretches so I first take a lighter and burn the resistance wire to a glow which stretches the wire.
With the wick in place I attach the bottom neg to the wire and wrap not too tightly around the wick.

It is better to use a longer coil (more turns) than a shorter one. This way the coil covers more wick area creating more vapor.
I use 8 turns of 32ga resistance wire. I use both Kanthal and Nichrome.

The hardest part for me is getting the SS Mesh to not short to the coil. I sometimes have to burn a lot of juice to properly insulate it.

This method worked for me and I know everyone has their own method but I tried every suggestion and this is what worked for me.
Please post your views and what you found worked best for you and your setup.
Sometimes things seem to work excellent at first but then performance deteriorates after some time. So do not post until you thoroughly used your suggested method for several days.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:11:04 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
Re: Rebuildable Genisis Style - Mesh and Coil Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Just made a wick with #500 SS mesh and find that it wicks better than the #400 mesh

Offline beamrider

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
Oh yea,  500 wicks nicely, all the way up to 100%VG.  I started with 500, so never got a chance to try 325/400, but with 500, can't see a reason to.  So far, I've never had a problem with wicking, using 500.  I recently started using some of the Nextel XS sleeving over the mesh, and  to me, it improves the taste, and also prevents the coil from shorting to the mesh.  I  don't even oxidize it now, just a quick red glow to burn off any oils/etc from the manufacturing process.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
Oh yea,  500 wicks nicely, all the way up to 100%VG.  I started with 500, so never got a chance to try 325/400, but with 500, can't see a reason to.  So far, I've never had a problem with wicking, using 500.  I recently started using some of the Nextel XS sleeving over the mesh, and  to me, it improves the taste, and also prevents the coil from shorting to the mesh.  I  don't even oxidize it now, just a quick red glow to burn off any oils/etc from the manufacturing process.

Tell us about Nextel XS sleeving....

Offline tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
I have been using 28ga Nichrome 60 with 500 mesh and find it working out pretty good.
The 28ga has less resistance than the 32ga I previously was using so I wrap a couple of more turns on the mesh to compensate.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
I have just ordered some 28ga Kanthal A-1 on ebay.
Been using 32 gauge Kanthal A-1 and Nichrome 60 in 32ga. I have popped a few coils with the Nichrome but never happened w/ the Kanthal. Each time the wire popped where it was connected at the positive post. I'm thinking that tightening the wire between the washer may have caused a weakening of the wire.

Offline utak3r

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
As for the positive post: first, I'm wiring it counter-clockwise around the post, then I'm giving it some freedom (so it's not so much tightened) and then screw it very loosely. This minimizes the possibility of popping it in this place.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Rebuildable Genisis Style - Mesh and Coil Tip

gfxgfx
gfx gfx