gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 03:38:23 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: How Not To Make Solder Stick On Copper Outside Surface (for soldering 510 conn)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How Not To Make Solder Stick On Copper Outside Surface (for soldering 510 conn)  (Read 4542 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
There are commercial solder flow retardants, but these are NOT any of them. Here are some of the ways that goldsmiths use to prevent solder flowing.

Polishing Machine Rouge: Some people use a little rouge powder from the polishing machine dust mixed with a small amount of oil which works well. Jeff Demand of Toronto likes to make a heat the rouge until it melts and then paint it on.

Pencil Lead: a graphite stick or soft pencil will leave a barrier that solder won't flow across. Pencil leads also work to line up tube sections when constructing a hinge. Liquid graphite lubricant that can be found in for automotive supply stores can be used.

Scrap of Rubber: One can take a small piece of rubber (vulcanized mold chunk, a slice off a piece of an old torch hose etc) and, holding it in tweezers, rub it on the metal part to be protected while it is hot. The rubber melts on with a truly nasty smell (use ventilation) and leaves a brown slimy coat on the metal. This too works well.

Yellow Ochre: Old timers used yellow ochre with water. I find that it has a tendency to "bleed" into the flux and make the soldering problematic. It is somewhat better mixed with a little oil instead of water but I find it difficult to remove from the piece and do not use it.

Maalox® and "White-Out": Favorite is Papermate© correction fluid. There are solvent based and solvent-free water based versions. In my experience the water based version does not come off the metal after soldering as easily as the solvent based one. I like the solvent based one for this reason.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Kapton tape is often used in PCB assembly for that.  It's tolerant to about 700F.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: How Not To Make Solder Stick On Copper Outside Surface (for soldering 510 conn)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx