gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 09:05:51 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My DNA 20
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My DNA 20  (Read 20145 times)

Offline silverslayer

My DNA 20
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
Well, it was a pain in the neck but I managed some cramage. I'm really glad the Evolv came out with this board. I had tried some code a while back and sucked at it. So this is a great cheat for a novice like me. Originally I had wanted to cast a custom aluminum box for it. But you know how it is if your impatient like me. So I use one of those 2X18650 boxes from ebay. Cut it down, filled it, then gave it a shot of olive drab. Maybe with the next one. Also I really like evolv's charger board too, that thing is slick.

Thanks Dave for a great sight, and the help you gave me with the posting. I gotta make a note of that for next time. :D 

Offline redwolfe

• One-eyed guy
Re: My DNA 20
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
Awesome job! Looks really great considering how little space there is to work with.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:50:28 PM by redwolfe »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Your mod came out fantastic  ;hubba; I really like that box and the paint job was awesome.  :rockin smiley:

I really appreciate that you took the time to post here. We've had in the past have passerby's gather info and post elsewhere without sharing their finished mod with us.  :thankyou:

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
Your mod came out fantastic  ;hubba; I really like that box and the paint job was awesome.  :rockin smiley:

I really appreciate that you took the time to post here. We've had in the past have passerby's gather info and post elsewhere without sharing their finished mod with us.  :thankyou:

Truth be known I like your sight better. This was the first place I came. Just couldn't get those pics to work.
Thanks.

Offline SmokeRings

• Puff Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
I use one of those 2X18650 boxes from ebay. Cut it down, filled it, then gave it a shot of olive drab.

I really admire how you cut down the dual box. I think it came out fantastic. Any tips on how you did it?

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
@ SmokeRings

I cut off the extra space above the battery compartment about 1/4 inch above the divider with a hack saw.
Taking care to try to make the cut as strait as possible. When I cut it, I had the box and cover taped together to keep them from moving. You want to make sure to leave the divider there as well. A miter box would have worked well for that.

After most of the excess was cut off, I separated the back from the case. I then took a piece of scotch tape and wrapped it around the edge of the divider to create a dam of sorts. Then I mixed up enough epoxy to make the thickness about an eighth of an inch thick. So once you have your epoxy just add it to the top of the divider. What you are trying to do is make that flimsy divider stronger with the epoxy. Set upright on a level surface and let the epoxy cure fully.

Once the epoxy has dried. Remove the scotch tape. put the back on the case. Tape it up secure again.
I then flipped the thing over and used sandpaper on a flat hard surface to sand off any excess plastic that was left over. I did this until my epoxy top was nice and smooth. Before sanding I drew scribe marks where I wanted to be to ensure that the sanded surface was as even and flat as possible. Then you can paint, add holes, ETC..

Just to let everyone know my mod is still going strong. All the paint wore off. But it still works great.

Happy Modding  ;cheers;

Tim Hansen

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
Great instructional write up Tim. I was thinking of trying that one day but never got around to doing it.
You sparked my interest again.  :beer-toast:

Offline SmokeRings

• Puff Master
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
Hey Tim,
Thanks for sharing your box cut down with us. It was very informative and it sounds easy to follow.
Your enclosure rocks  :rockin smiley:

Offline breakstuff

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
 :applaude: good one Tim  ;cheers;

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Great looking mod, nice job!  Now that you've been using it a while, what kind of vape time do you get out of the battery?  That's an 18650?

I've done a couple DNA12's and for some reason both of them seem to trip the low voltage cut off when the 18650 battery hit about 3.6 volts.  I can't for the life of me find why.

Anyway, great mod!

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
@ kortt

I get full day out of a battery. Running about 9 1/2 - 10 watts, and around 2.0 Ohms on my Igo L.

Tim

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
Very nice custom mod :)

Did you try a clear coat over the paint? I do it over the tins I make and it does help :)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
I've done a couple DNA12's and for some reason both of them seem to trip the low voltage cut off when the 18650 battery hit about 3.6 volts.  I can't for the life of me find why.

It may not be that big of a deal.  It depends on the battery, but for IMR cells and LiPo cells, they're pretty much fully discharged when they measure 3.6V open circuit.  Looking at the curve I use for the battery gauge in my LiPo powered mods, 3.6V open circuit is 3% run time remaining.

Li-Ions do this thing where the voltage sag gets larger when they're close to being fully discharged, it's more pronounced with ICR cells than IMR or LiPo cells.  So, even though the cell may read 3.6V open circuit, it's probably droping down closer to 3.0V under load and tripping the low battery detection.  They also get voltage creep where the voltage slowly climbs after the circuit is opened.  You want to measure the open circuit voltage on your cells within a short time after they've been loaded.

For ICR cells and especially the Panasonic NCR18650A and B cells, you need to take them down to about 3.0V open circuit to fully discharge them.  In that case, you'd be giving up a lot of capacity with that early cutoff.  I imagine the DNA12 and DNA20 are curved for an IMR or LiPo cell.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
Craig, that sounds like what is going on with my DNA12 mods.  It's hard to measure the load voltage since the DNA cuts off but sometimes it will pulse and I notice the voltage measurements bounce from 3.6 to 3.2 and everything in between.  Of course it might be my inexperience and I'm just not measuring it right but I suspect it's the voltage sag as you say. 

I have searched for this all over and have not found any mention of it from anyone else.  Perhaps if someone who reads this who has build a DNA12 powered by a single 18650 would chime in with their voltage findings.

The voltage creep can be useful at times.  The other day I was out and the DNA mod shut down but after a couple minutes it fired again a few times, enough to get me a few more vapes til I got home lol.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
The characteristics I mentioned vary from cell to cell, especially voltage sag.  A smaller cell sags more than a larger cell and an ICR cell sags more than a LiPo cell.  If you were using say an ICR 18350, you would run into this effect in a much more pronounced way than say a 2000mAh LiPo cell.  The wear on a cell also increases voltage sag.  It even varies from one cell brand to another cell brand even when using the same size and type of cell.

A cell's internal impedance and load is what determines the amount of sag it experiences.  Many factors have an effect on a cell's internal impedance.  You didn't mention the cell you are using, but I would guess you're using one that exhibits a more pronounced voltage sag.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Thanks Craig.  I've been using CGR18650CH and AW IMR 18650 both 2000mah.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
Actually, those have fairly low internal impedance (about 80 mOhms) so you shouldn't be getting unusually high voltage sag with them.  Still, LiPo cells are considerably lower (usually under 30 mOhms).

Is it possible your battery contacts or wiring are introducing additional impdedance?  If you're using spring steel battery contacts that lack a heavy nickel plate, you can introduce a good amount of impedance.  Steel is not a very good conductor where nickel is a good conductor.  You can check with a meter by taking a reading under load at the battery itself and then at the board connection for input power.  You shouldn't see a loss of more than 30mV from the battery itself to the circuit board.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 06:32:14 PM »
It could be the DNA12 design. I'm getting lag w/ a 25C Li-Po. And at 3.6v vapor is pretty weak. Battery dips to about 3.3v. That's when I through it on charge.
I''m running the DNA12 w/ an MCU and a oLed display.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
Could just be the cut-off is too high.  Should be 3.2V under load for a LiPo, 3.0V under load for an ICR or IMR cell, and 2.7V under load for a Panasonic NCR18650x.  The Pansonic cells have a different discharge curve than other Li-Ions, it's steeper.  The LG cells I'm using in my 6Ah box actually have a really tall curve for an ICR cell, I cut them off at 3.2V under load and indicate a low battery at 3.5V open circuit.

Here's what the Panasonic NCR18650B looks like;

Here's what the LG cells I'm using look like;

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
Well It was bound to happen. Yesterday after exactly 6months and one day I broke my mod. I had tipped and dropped this thing several times in the past. well yesterday it fell from about three feet onto concrete and broke the ribbon on the display. Ironically I was working on a new mod at the time. But it was still firing until I just decided to tear it completely apart. I'm very upset about it. I really loved that mod. Hated the cheap plastic case, but loved the performance of the DNA 20 Board. I'm now thinking about using the board for an experiment since it still works. I have a brand new DNA sitting here, but will be damned if I'm gonna put it in another plastic case. Figured it out. The cost to use it for those six months was about 35 cents a day. Not bad IMO. It was my daily mod, Now all I have are mechanical mods left.   :no:   

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »
 oh_my: That was a beauty of a mod. My condolences.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  They all get dropped at some point.  Concrete is the worst.  I make mine as tough as I can, but I have yet to find how well one will do dropped on concrete.  I've dropped them everywhere else, but haven't done that one yet.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
I have a brand new DNA sitting here, but will be damned if I'm gonna put it in another plastic case.

Dunno if you'd be interested, but I hosted a CVI Co-Op about 3 months back and had another member do repairs on devices that were returned for warranty back-ups.

Got a couple of heavy-duty anodized aluminum heads that I'm selling for parts here:

http://www.vapeatron.com/3-non-functional-cvi-heads-78151/#post297421

I've got a red one and a black one, no images posted.

The heads are super-tough and are thick, solid aluminum....so if you drop it, it isn't gonna break!

And the tubes can be bought from various vendors or you can use JoyeTech's eVic tubes and some others (same threading).

The DNA20 will fit inside of the control head if you still wanna use your broken OLED board?

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a "sales pitch", just a thought since your killer device that you made....broke.

If I owned one of these deceased heads myself (see explanation in the thread), I'd give ya one for free just to see the end product.  :yes"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:49:36 AM by timesarerough »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
Dunno if you'd be interested, but I hosted a CVI Co-Op about 3 months back and had another member do repairs on devices that were returned for warranty back-ups.

Got a couple of heavy-duty anodized aluminum heads that I'm selling for parts here:

http://www.vapeatron.com/3-non-functional-cvi-heads-78151/#post297421

I've got a red one and a black one, no images posted.

The heads are super-tough and are thick, solid aluminum....so if you drop it, it isn't gonna break!

And the tubes can be bought from various vendors or you can use JoyeTech's eVic tubes and some others (same threading).

The DNA20 will fit inside of the control head if you still wanna use your broken OLED board?

Hey Shek what's threads mm's and pitch count?

Offline ChainVaper

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about your broken display  :(
How about a rubberized case for the next mod  :Thinking:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
I've always had an idea about using a "Wrist Lanyard" for situations where dropping it would be catastrophic. Like using it over concrete, water (on a boat), high places (hanging off the Eiffel Tower), etc...

Something like this:

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »
Thanks every one for the concerns and sugestions. My mod is now working again/without the display of course. It went from an ok mod to an "Oh my god thats friggin cool", I want it mod. But I dont want to show it. Right now it works and it's cool imo, but its not perfect yet. I'm gonna wait till I have the new board in a mod with the led display working. It might take a couple of weeks to get it done, so stay tuned.We'll see what I come up with.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
 :popcorn: we'll be watching for it  :popcorn:

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My DNA 20

gfxgfx
gfx gfx