gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 04:53:03 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Thread Dimensions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thread Dimensions  (Read 10064 times)

Offline redwolfe

• One-eyed guy
Thread Dimensions
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »
Does anyone know what would be good threads to use for a 26650 tube mod? I am thinking of going with M30 x 2 but I just wanted some feedback before I did anything.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Thread Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »
A FINE thread would be best. A pitch of 2.0 is considered a Fine thread. Sounds good to me, but I'm not a machinist.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:03:48 PM by Breaktru »

Offline redwolfe

• One-eyed guy
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks Dave,

I am going to go with that. I am experimenting with Autodesk Inventor right now and I'm making the M30x2 male threads on the battery tube. The O.D. of the tube is 34mm and the I.D. is 27 but the program is saying:

Thread: problems occurred while building this thread, inappropriate thread size

that makes no sense to me, there should be plenty of material to cut the threads needed.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
I did some Googling and found this chart
If you are cutting threads inside the tube which is 27mm. Looks like you need to cut M28 x 2 threads.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
yeah, I think M30 for a 27mm ID is a bit large.  Will the program let you try different size threads?  Does it have an "auto thread" feature where it will suggest a thread size for a certain dia. ?

Offline redwolfe

• One-eyed guy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »
yeah, I think M30 for a 27mm ID is a bit large.  Will the program let you try different size threads?  Does it have an "auto thread" feature where it will suggest a thread size for a certain dia. ?

It doesn't necessarily have an "auto thread" feature, but when you open the make thread dialog, it will automatically pick the thread sizes that will work with it.

For example, if I want to make threads on the ID 27mm tube, it will auto pick those threads. (see pic below) Also I am trying to figure out what male threads can thread into female threads. Like will female M27x2 threads thread into male M27x2 threads? Or does it not work that way? I know the person who makes the BAM mod and the threads for that were Male: M31x1.5 and Female: M28x1.5.

Now I've looked all over for info on M31x1.5  pitch, tap hole diameter, minor and major diameter and I can't find a thing on it as if it doesn't exist. I know it exists though because there are pipes that have that tap on them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:38:16 PM by redwolfe »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
the best thing to do is learn by doing  freaked_out: :thumbsup: ;cheers;

Offline vaporhead

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
If the auto thread feature comes up with a thread size, can't you just enter your O.D. or I.D. of the stock you are using and see what the software comes up with?

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I've always though if you used a certain tap size you used the equivalent die size to match it.

yeah M31 X 1.5 does seem odd ball.  All the charts I've seen go from M30 to M32.  Strange.  Of course this might be tap and die sizes and if doing machine threading such as on a lathe you can set whatever you want I think.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I've always though if you used a certain tap size you used the equivalent die size to match it.

If you want the parts to screw together you do. 

For dies, the material diameter is the same as the die size since it's specified from the base of the threads in the die.  In other word something like a 10x1.25mm thread would be cut out of a 10mm rod using a 10mm die.  The diameter is the outer threads on a tap so the hole needs to be the diameter minus 2 times the thread depth.  Thread depth varies according to thread pitch and there are standard pitches with standard depths.

The even numbered sizes are most common.  The odd ones are defined, but it can be hard to find taps and dies for them.  Better to use an even number if you have the option.  You also want to use a standard thread pitch since you would need to have custom taps and dies made otherwise.  I'm not sure, but I think threads can be cut when making parts using CNC.  In that case, it's not an issue since you can program the machine to cut any thread you want.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:20:05 PM by CraigHB »

Offline redwolfe

• One-eyed guy
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »
Thanks all for the advice. I decided to go with the M30x1.5 thread for both male and female so they can screw together. I'll keep you all updated on what I am working on soon. I still need to come up with a name and find a machinist to do a prototype.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:16:29 AM »
I bet is a new atty like maybe the 511 instead of  the boring old 510
would be cool to say mine goes up to 511 of coarse in a rural cockney accent  fainting: Doh: ;cheers;

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Thread Dimensions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx