gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:02:28 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Copper Etching...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Copper Etching...  (Read 8334 times)

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
Copper Etching...
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
Hi everyone. I just found out something that I thought I would share. I found this on the net somewhere but haven't tried it because I don't have the materials yet, so I can't say it works for sure. But I have seen examples of of the end result using this technique and it looked really good.

I talked to one of the members about this privately, but I thought other people might like to know. I had heard that you could use a Sharpie to draw your etchings on the copper, but also heard that it really doesn't work that well. So I did some digging, and this is what I found. The secrete to making the Sharpie work is to get the right kind of Sharpie. Not the ones you find everywhere.

You would have to go to some kind of hobby store to find what you need. Go to the painting section and what you need to get is a: "SHARPIE OIL BASED PAINT MARKER". Remember, I haven't done this myself, but I thought I would pass this along to people who may be interested.

Offline thetruckinggeek

Re: Copper Etching...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »
I have done  Etching this way before and you are right about the Sharpe that you find everywhere they don't work well the oil base work better now a days I will go next door to my friends house he has a cnc  Etching setup he made it  It uses a dremel tool and fine  Etching/engraving bits

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
I have done  Etching this way before and you are right about the Sharpe that you find everywhere they don't work well the oil base work better now a days I will go next door to my friends house he has a cnc  Etching setup he made it  It uses a dremel tool and fine  Etching/engraving bits

Thanks for confirming things about the oil based Sharpie. I'm really interested in your friend's homemade CNC setup. Would you mind explaining in more detail how he did it? Sounds like a great idea!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »
I would luv to draw my own art work and etch it on to a copper mod but unfortunately,
this is the extent of my artwork:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »
That's too funny Breakthru. Maybe you could call it the "primitive" mod :)

Offline thetruckinggeek

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
It's a mini milling machine when i get back home I will ask him if he has any plans he doze small boards as a hobby he got the idea from my cnc plasma cutter I am building, it uses small servos for x and y/z axes  and  mach 3 software http://www.cncrouterparts.com/mach3-cnc-control-software-p-165.html this is a link to the software also good info on cnc is http://www.cncinformation.com/CNCBlog/  and this is close to what he bilt but he used a dremel http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGRAVER-MACHINE-3020-CNC-ROUTER-POPULAR-DESKTOP-DRILLING-MILLING-q1-/200864188833#vi-content
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:35:40 AM by thetruckinggeek »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
That's really great. I'm glad you and your friend are doing so much with this. I've been doing some looking and most of the metal lathes are out of my ball park for $$$$.

I'm afraid I will have to stick with the Sharpie marker. All of the machines I have been looking at are great, but the cheapest one I could find was on eBay for $200.00... Not bad, but still too much for me :)

Thanks for the links

Offline pnguin

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:55:04 AM »
Instructables has quite a few plans for DIY CNC machines here.    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-CNC-1/

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
Instructables has quite a few plans for DIY CNC machines here.    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-CNC-1/

Thanks pnguin, I checked it out and and found some really good links there. Really appreciate the info.

Online d_walk

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

Nice!  :thankyou: for posting the link

Offline pnguin

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »
You are welcome. I have been looking at those as a possible final semester project, teamed up with a mechanical engineering student.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Copper Etching...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx