gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 01:06:21 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My first copper mod...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first copper mod...  (Read 39970 times)

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
Re: My first copper mod...
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Remember I mentioned using your kitchen stove but you had said you have an electric stove.
Here is how Rocketman does it on an electric stove. Remove insulator first.
Just sitting the 510 in the cap will cause an intermittent ground connection

Thanks Breaktru. I will definitely try this on the next go round. I have enough copper to make 3 or 4 more mods and I will try this on my next attempt. Thanks for showing me the "electric stove method"  :thumbsup:. Tomorrow I'm going to get some more switches that are much smaller than the one I used here.

Offline Learfx

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Right now I haven't done anything with the ring yet. I made it pretty fat so it hangs in there pretty good. I'm tempted to put a couple of screws in it on a band of metal that will fit around the mod (tin or bronze).

I'm not sure what your retaining ring looks like, but it may shift at some point and possibly cause problems. You should try breaktru's method using some type of punch to secure the ring in place.

The top cap is just held on by a tight fit. I didn't shave anything off after cutting the cap in half so it was hard to get on at first (still is), so I'm not going to worry about that yet. I might have to face the cap issue in the long run though.

Cutting the cap will cause it to form a inner rim that will get in the way of pushing the copper into it. You could use your dremel tool to grind down that edge and then use a piece of copper wire as a type of wedge between the copper pipe and cap.

On all of my attempts , I couldn't get the solder to melt for nothing inside the top cap. Breaktru says that using a torch is a must, but the one I have doesn't work. If you have any suggestions for this, I would appreciate the help (and don't say buy another torch... can't afford it right now). This time I was very careful about the size of the hole for the 510 connector and it fits perfectly and so far, no need to solder. Once again though, it may turn into something that I will have to address later.

you could try to put the cap on a stove top and heat it up that way... I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you're extremely careful. A cap that hot falling on to you or some other combustible material could ruin your  day. >:(    I'm curious to know what type of torch you did try to use and how you set the cap up to attempt to solder it.  If you can't get the torch you have now to work then you will need to get one that will..... pressing the 510 connector in will work for now in the short term but it will eventually work it's way loose and create problems. Not to mention the juice that will surly find it's way between the connector and the cap.  Here's a link to a cheap soldering solution, it's not top of the line but it's better than nothing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-UL100-Basic-Propane-Torch-Kit-334458/203665003

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

I'm not sure what your retaining ring looks like, but it may shift at some point and possibly cause problems. You should try breaktru's method using some type of punch to secure the ring in place.

Cutting the cap will cause it to form a inner rim that will get in the way of pushing the copper into it. You could use your dremel tool to grind down that edge and then use a piece of copper wire as a type of wedge between the copper pipe and cap.

you could try to put the cap on a stove top and heat it up that way... I wouldn't recommend it though, unless you're extremely careful. A cap that hot falling on to you or some other combustible material could ruin your  day. >:(    I'm curious to know what type of torch you did try to use and how you set the cap up to attempt to solder it.  If you can't get the torch you have now to work then you will need to get one that will..... pressing the 510 connector in will work for now in the short term but it will eventually work it's way loose and create problems. Not to mention the juice that will surly find it's way between the connector and the cap.  Here's a link to a cheap soldering solution, it's not top of the line but it's better than nothing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-UL100-Basic-Propane-Torch-Kit-334458/203665003

The retaining ring I cut is about half an inch long. I did a smaller one, but it moved too much in the tube. I will do something about the ring though. Right now I'm just enjoying my first day of vaping on something I made :)

And that's a good point about the cap and the rim. The reason I left the rim on there was to get a tight fit. But I'm sure that will eventually go away. I will keep your idea in mind for when it has some wear and needs attention.

You're probably right about the stove too. I'm pretty clumsy with this. Getting old makes your hands shake more, lol. I do need a better torch. I might be able to trade mine back in and get a better one when I can afford it. Here's a link to the torch I can't use...
http://www.harborfreight.com/butane-pencil-torch-41169.html

I was just reading the manual and I think I found out where I was going wrong with the torch. I didn't know, but you have to hold the torch upside down with the filling part on top, then put the butane in. I just tried it and I think it's working better, so I may be in business with this torch after all  :thumbsup:

Just looked at your link. That's a really nice price for a torch. If I don't get mine going better, I will try that one out! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:45:43 PM by jumper »

Offline Learfx

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
Sorry but that torch will not work for the cap... It's a butane heating iron...  No flame to put on the copper, the flame just heats up the tip on the pen, from what I'm seeing.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Sorry but that torch will not work for the cap... It's a butane heating iron...  No flame to put on the copper, the flame just heats up the tip on the pen, from what I'm seeing.

Thanks, looks like I'm going to get the one you suggested when I can :)

Edit: I forgot, but the iron tip comes off so you can just have the flame if you want. Will wait until I try that before getting something else.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:40:15 PM by jumper »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
Hi LearFX, I just tired the new way of using my torch and it works really good. I just soldered the 510 connector to the cap and everything went cool. And it still works :) (I was holding my breath)

I did burn the sheet on my table a bit though. Next time I will take it outside on the deck and do it.

Thanks to Breaktru too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:10:25 AM by jumper »

Offline Learfx

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
I didn't know you could take the tip off and use it that way. It's good that you got it to work.  Did you remove the rubber grommet before you soldered?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
I didn't know you could take the tip off and use it that way. It's good that you got it to work.  Did you remove the rubber grommet before you soldered?

Yea, the torch is working really good since I took the tip off. And no, I didn't take the rubber grommet off before soldering. Just too lazy I guess, plus it's a PITA. But everything works, there are no leaks so I'm happy about it.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »
For my next mod, I want to make the hole for the button better. Do you have any helpful tips on that?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »
Update: Finally put the dimples in to hold the ring. Not sure if they're deep enough yet, but I'm sure I'll know by how today goes.

Offline David-Bowser

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
These threads are almost a year old now but I just joined up here.  There is so much good stuff here it is not funny.  Thank you all for posting.   I have made one myself before joining but wish I had found this room before I did.  It was all out of the seat of my pants.  I have made wood mods and like them .  But I like the smallness of the copper better.  I did not solder the 510 connecter. I used super glue to hold it in as I used a drill that was a couple of thousands too big.  I was lucky the glue did not short out the elec. coming from the battery. 

Offline memoevapor

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
Welcome David-Bowser! one more post and you can start your own topic. I would like to see some of your mods!  :thumbsup:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »
Hi David and welcome. Glad to have you aboard.
You're welcome to share your work with us.

Offline David-Bowser

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »
Thank you thank you.  It is good to be here  I am learning a lot.  Great board you guys have.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My first copper mod...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx