gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 01:58:16 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: New to the DNA20 Would like some knowledge
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New to the DNA20 Would like some knowledge  (Read 15891 times)

Offline Blakd

New to the DNA20 Would like some knowledge
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:32:24 PM »
So I will be getting a DNA20 soon and I have some boxes I ordered for my PTN04050s but never got any where with them. I was wanting to know if anyone here has put a DNA20 in a tube mod or tried to add touch sensors to the board.  I am thinking of a single 18650 tube custom or one of my boxes (box with micro usb charger). I want something comfortable to hold.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Blakd

Re: New to the DNA20 Would like some knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
I would also like to know if anyone has seen an analog potentiometer with a hole wide enough to run a switch through it to put it in the middle of the turn dial.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Sorry Blakd. I'm afraid I can't offer any help with what you are asking. Perhaps someone here could offer some insight.
Sounds interesting though. I'd luv to see something like it.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
I would also like to know if anyone has seen an analog potentiometer with a hole wide enough to run a switch through it to put it in the middle of the turn dial.

This may help you ---> On-Off Pot

Offline Blakd

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
I saw those but the wires to the button will still have to move.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »
This may help you ---> On-Off Pot

Breaktru, I would like to ask you a noob question. What does a potentiometer do?
thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
Breaktru, I would like to ask you a noob question. What does a potentiometer do?
thanks

We are using them with our DC-DC Converters to adjust regulation of output voltage.
You won't be using them with a straight battery mod. A potentiometer used in a voltage divider circuit couldn't hold up to the amperage of a mod. A rheostat would but neither would be efficient (immense power loss). So don't even think about using one.  :laughing:

Example of a Potentiometer as a Voltage Divider:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:38:16 PM by Breaktru »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »
We are using them with our DC-DC Converters to adjust regulation of output voltage.
You won't be using them with a straight battery mod. A potentiometer used in a voltage divider circuit couldn't hold up to the amperage of a mod. A rheostat would but neither would be efficient (immense power loss). So don't even think about using one.  :laughing:

Thanks for the info. Guess that's something I'll leave alone for a while  :yes"

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Well, it would be possible, but a pot able to adjust voltage at an atomizer would be pretty large.  It wouldn't be any less efficient than a linear regulator, but that isn't saying anything.  Linear regulators are horribly inefficient and it's why we use switching regulators instead.  Linear regulators have their place, but only where currents are low and thereby losses are low.

Here's what a pot that could adjust atomizer voltage looks like, it's big;

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
Well said Craig  :beer-toast:
I've only used switching reg in my mods. I have yet to use a linear reg for a mod. Only exception is for a micro-controller power supply (under 1amp). With that said, when I mentioned DC-DC converters I am referring to switching reg. I should have been clearer. Sorry guys.

That Pot looks like a Rheostat. I see windings. I think pots use carbon trace and rheostats use windings so it can handle heavier current.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
Thanks Craig, I have 2 NCP630A regulators from MV. Someone said they weren't very good, but since I have the two I might try to use them someday. Even if they're not very efficient.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Welcome.

If you want to get down to technicalities, the only difference between a rheostat and a pot is the rheostat does not have the 3rd contact.  The rheostat only has the wiper plus one contact to the resistive element.  A potentiometer has the wiper plus contacts to both ends of the resistive element.  You can use a pot as a rheostat (which we do when using them to control regulator voltage), but you can't use a rheostat as a pot.

The term rheostat is often used to differentiate the type of device you use as a light dimmer switch from any other kind of rheostat, but it's sort of a misnomber.  That type of rheostat is primarily inductive not resistive.  That only works with AC since inductance only occurs when currents are changing.  There's nothing that states a rheostat has to be purely inductive or purely resistive.  For AC it's usually inductive, but may also be resistive.  For DC, it's always resistive.  That probably sounds confusing, but barring a whole discussion on AC circuit theory, that's the most simple way I can say it.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
I am following what you are saying  :thankyou: You didn't loose me... yet  :laughing:
I seen a bunch of 3 post rheostats on Digikey. Could it be a wiper or maybe just some sort of ground pin. Digikey

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
Those are pots.  They're using the term rheostat since that's the typical application.  Better to use a pot because you have the option of which way the resistance goes as the dial is turned.  It's simply a matter of chosing which side of the element to tap.  The pot that I pictured would be wired as a rheostat when used to control atomizer voltage.  It's a pot, but would operate as a rheostat.

For a pot to work as a pot, it has to have a current running from one end of the resistive element to the other.  If the resistance is only 10 Ohms (which it is for the one I pictured), that's a lot of current to be drawing all the time.  To wire up a pot as a pot and get a voltage tap off the wiper, you typcially use resistances like 4.7K or 47K to keep currents low and power consumption low.

Offline Blakd

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
I have kind of found what I am looking for.    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EWV-YG8U03B14/P15488-ND/3163175

Offline reasona

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
I do have a question....

So I am reading this bulk of knowledge and I think even if off topic  this is a wonderful discussion, My question is regarding something I have done in the stereo market or have come to wonder and maybe this will answer those questions and some on the vape side.
If I wire a coil be it for a sub woofer or for a RBA and it is say 1 ohm as opposed to a 4 ohm setup, am I correct in assuming that because I lowered the ohms it is more efficent? If it is then when I wire a set of 15in subs to 1ohm as opposed to say 4 ohms My amp is working much harder but yet it is more efficently using the power so thats why it does not get as hot as say running at 4 ohms(contrary to what most beleave) it also means my subs are not getting as hot because again using that current more efficently correct? So if what I am saying is persumably correct does that mean that running lower ohms on a RBA is more stable on a thermal aspect? DOes that mean it should last longer and be a better coil than a 3 ohm set up theoretically? Am I headed in right direction and can someone that has more knowledge on this subject help to understand this enigma? dont mind my horrible spelling please, THanks in advance. Strapped

By Breaktru:
This member from Beijing, China has been banned for posting 5 posts loaded with non-related advertising links and rambling of non-related subject matter. I left this post because it had some relevance to the subject and w/ the links to buy gold and clothing removed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:20:38 AM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
AC supplies (like for speakers) need to have something called impedance matching to maximize power delivery.  You have to use the impedance the amplifer calls for.  If you use something above or below, you'll lose efficiency.  The amplifier will waste more power internally and less power will be delivered to the speakers.  Most audio amps call for 4 Ohms, but older ones may call for 8 Ohms.  Things like iPods call for 16 Ohms and that's what earbuds are typically.

Impedance matching does not impact atomizers since they use a DC supply and there are no transformers or transitors operating actively with AC outputs.  For an atomizer, the lower the supply impedance the better.  That's not the same as atomizer resistance.  Supply impedance is not something that can always be measured easily.  For mechanical mods, it can be found by measuring how much voltage sags at the atomizer when energized.

Atomizers are never thermally stable since they heat and cool every time they're used.  In terms of longevity, you get better lifetime with a thicker wire purely for mechanical reasons.  Running any heating coil with more power is going to shorten the lifetime of the coil since it peaks at a higher temperature.  However a wire 32 gauge or thicker or a .4x.1mm ribbon wire is going to outlast the wick anyway even at higher power levels.

Offline Blakd

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
For one if my mods since I am now getting 3 DNA20 which one for a portable hooka box? Large or small?

Offline Blakd

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
Got 3 fire button assemblies ordered for the 3 DNA20 boards I am getting.  still need to find some buttons that look like this.

http://www.iosdoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/iPhone-4S-volume-buttons.jpg

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
Craig, this is a "little" off topic, but I wanted to say that you have great knowledge when it comes to electronics. Being new to electronics, I don't understand a lot of what you're saying, but I think every time I read your posts I learn a little more. Wish I had your knowledge :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:08:38 PM by jumper »

Offline columbusbk

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
Got 3 fire button assemblies ordered for the 3 DNA20 boards I am getting.  still need to find some buttons that look like this.

http://www.iosdoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/iPhone-4S-volume-buttons.jpg

They would look cool if you can find them  :yes"

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Craig, this is a "little" off topic, but I wanted to say that you have great knowledge when it comes to electronics. Being new to electronics, I don't understand a lot of what you're saying, but I think every time I read your posts I learn a little more. Wish I had your knowledge :)

I was actually not going to reply to that post #15 since it was obvioiusly somebody full of crap (and it was since Breaktru later banned the user).  However, it did make me think about some relevant topics with e-cigs so I replied to it anyway.  That user was just spamming though.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: New to the DNA20 Would like some knowledge

gfxgfx
gfx gfx