gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 02:24:53 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Idea: LED warning light for unregulated mods
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Idea: LED warning light for unregulated mods  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Commie

Idea: LED warning light for unregulated mods
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
I'm lining up to get an unregulated mod that runs off a single 14500. Since the capacity of the battery is tiny, I'm a bit concerned about over-draining it.

So I had an idea to "somehow" rig up an LED light to either change colors depending on battery's voltage, or otherwise indicate that the voltage is below, say, 3.5V.

So far I got a suggestion from ECF to use this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11087. It's a kit that sets off an LED when the voltage drops below whatever you set with a trimmer.

That would be a great way to do it, though I would replace the pot with a resistor, and not use the board in favor of making it more compact.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Idea: LED warning light for unregulated mods
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
For the price and the convenience of getting everything in one kit, your are better off with the sparkfun kit. If size is not a factor.
If you would like to tackle a DIY project, check out this link here.. Low Battery Indicator

Update:
Just noticed that this is for 11.1v and 7.4v. It can be adapted for 3.7v

Update #2:
If you would like to build the above pictured indicator see: Low Voltage Indicator How To for a single or 2 series batteries.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:58:25 AM by Breaktru »

Online cccsteel

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Update:
Just noticed that this is for 11.1v and 7.4v. Perhaps it can be adapted to 3.7v

I looked at the Datasheet for the TL431 and I think you can use 3.7v. The cathode ratings says Vref to 36volts.  Vref says Typical is 2.495v
I guess you would have to figure out the value for R3

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
I ran across this on flea bay.  Don't know the dimensions but it looks like it might be handy if there was room for it.  It could also double as the voltage display.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Battery-Low-Voltage-Tester-Buzzer-Alarm-/200627029482

Edit:
Did a bit of digging and found this:
http://www.fpvhobby.com/149-1s-lipo-low-voltage-alarm.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:38:56 PM by kortt »

Offline ArturoCain

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »
I'm lining up to get an unregulated mod that runs off a single 14500. Since the capacity of the battery is tiny, I'm a bit concerned about over-draining it.

So I had an idea to "somehow" rig up an
led light to either change colors depending on battery's voltage, or otherwise indicate that the voltage is below, say, 3.5V.

So far I got a suggestion from ECF to use this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11087. It's a kit that sets off an LED when the voltage drops below whatever you set with a trimmer.

That would be a great way to do it, though I would replace the pot with a resistor, and not use the board in favor of making it more compact.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Were you able to get the lights you were searching for? I am trying to use led lights so can you provide a small review?Please reply thanks in advance:)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:02:24 PM by ArturoCain »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
Hi ArturoCain, Welcome to the site. Lots of good stuff going on here. Hope you will find this a home as I have for all kinds of information. This is the best site I've found for users helping users when it comes to anything related to mods. Of course there are other sections that don't deal with making mods, but this section is the one that helps modders get valuable information and help from the community.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Idea: LED warning light for unregulated mods

gfxgfx
gfx gfx