gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 08:56:23 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Exploding Capacitor (I'm ok)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Exploding Capacitor (I'm ok)  (Read 10443 times)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
Exploding Capacitor (I'm ok)
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
So, I fired up my newest evercool mod, and the first capacitor exploded like a gunshot. Luckily, I had the cover off and the opening facing away (it was a first test and I just threw the master switch), or it could have been bad.  In researching the reason, I came across a couple possibilities that I'd like to share with other newbies:
To much power - these were 16v, so not really possible with 2x 14500's
Reverse Polarity (put in backwards) - I checked,  but the tiny amount of insulation left shows this was not the case. It would be really easy to do, though.
Bad Capacitor - it seems like this was the case, which is pretty scary.

Now these were Ebay Chinese caps, and lacked one thing that might have helped...a pressure release.  On many capacitors, there is a "K" stamped on one side. This marks the weak spot, and this is where it will fail and smoke instead of blowing up...most times.  No K on this batch, but I have some with it, so I'll use those.

Now, a question: what is the chance that this has destroyed the rest of the circuit? And of course, any info I've missed woulf be awesome.

Offline Learfx

Re: Exploding Capacitor (I'm ok)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
The best way to get people to understand what issues you're dealing with is to provide as mush information as possible...  Pictures, part numbers of components and diagrams of how you wired up a components make all the difference in the world. Anything less can make for a frustrating guessing game.  :thumbsup:

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »
I wired it exactly like Breaktru's evercool copper mod. PTR08100WVD regulator, 100uf 10v Tantalum capacitors, 240 Ohm resister, 200 ohm trimmer.  Replaced the blown cap, and it turned on, but put out a straight 7.2v, no adjustments.  Replaced the trimmer, still no adjustment.  I'm assuming the PTR08100WVD is blown at this point.  Mostly I just wanted any newbies out there to be able to avoid doing what I did.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
I did that one time with a tantalum cap, only it exploded between my fingers.  I was testing something and was placing a cap across live supply lines for some reason or another, dont' remember.  I touched it backwards and it instantly exploded.  It was loud like a cap gun.  Did some damage to my finger tips.  I'll be careful not to do that again.

In any case, that's the first time I've heard of a capacitor exploding for no reason.  I mostly use the MLCC caps now which are not polarized and they don't explode when exposed to over-voltage.  The small values are cheaper, but the higher values are more expensive than the polarized ones.  I use the high value MLCC caps anyway.  They perform better than the polarized ones (much lower ESR) and they're a hell of a lot more robust.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
I wired it exactly like Breaktru's evercool copper mod. PTR08100WVD regulator, 100uf 10v Tantalum capacitors, 240 Ohm resister, 200 ohm trimmer.  Replaced the blown cap, and it turned on, but put out a straight 7.2v, no adjustments.  Replaced the trimmer, still no adjustment.  I'm assuming the PTR08100WVD is blown at this point.  Mostly I just wanted any newbies out there to be able to avoid doing what I did.

Being a newbie myself, I appreciate the info. Thanks for the heads up. And Craig, thanks for the extra info. That really helps too.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »

The best way to get people to understand what issues you're dealing with is to provide as mush information as possible...  Pictures, part numbers of components and diagrams of how you wired up a components make all the difference in the world. Anything less can make for a frustrating guessing game.  :thumbsup:

Lear has a good point. Showing photos would be nice. Particularly several from different angles, close up and clear would be best.

I have dealt with several modders who have mis-interpreted the schematic or drawing and found the error through photos.

The board may have been damaged but also can be a wiring error.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Here's some pics. If there's any help you can give, it would be much appreciated.  I've written off the circuit, but saving it would be awesome.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
I see a problem with Vin and Vout. Pin 2 should be the input (from battery pos thru pushbutton to Pin 2) and Pin 4 should go directly to the atty pos pin.
Also I can not see the under side of the board to see if the resistor to pot trace.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
I'll get you the pic of the bottom as soon as I get home.  Does that mean I'm running power BACKWARDS through the chip?  :facepalm: No wonder it's acting wonky.  I'm surprised I'm getting power at all.  Thanx for the quick reply, Dave, and I'll post pics EVERY time I have a failure from now on.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
I'll get you the pic of the bottom as soon as I get home.  Does that mean I'm running power BACKWARDS through the chip?  :facepalm: No wonder it's acting wonky.  I'm surprised I'm getting power at all.  Thanx for the quick reply, Dave, and I'll post pics EVERY time I have a failure from now on.

Welcome to the club. Photos are the best way to find what a modder has done.
You are getting straight battery voltage that way.

Offline modfo

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
I wanted too ask if it is ok too put the caps straight on the okr like  dena- how too pdf shows or is that a older way of doing I have finely been able too break away too do little work on some thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
I wanted too ask if it is ok too put the caps straight on the okr like  dena- how too pdf shows or is that a older way of doing I have finely been able too break away too do little work on some thanks

Mount your caps as close to the input and output pins as possible. Directly on the converter I/O pins would be ideal.
BTW: The OKR Topic would be a better place to post this question.

Offline Learfx

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Pictures are always worth a thousand words!  You rock out loud Breaktru!  :thumbsup: l Never could have created this without the help of people on this forum!!   http://www.outcastvaping.com/simpleview/steameye/index.htm  This is some other mods I created with the help of Breaktru's site and all the wonderful and knowledgeable people here.. Happy New Year to all!!! https://plus.google.com/116239866371932280576/posts
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:03:56 PM by Learfx »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Pictures are always worth a thousand words!  You rock out loud Breaktru!  :thumbsup: l Never could have created this without the help of people on this forum!!   http://www.outcastvaping.com/simpleview/steameye/index.htm  This is some other mods I created with the help of Breaktru's site and all the wonderful and knowledgeable people here.. Happy New Year to all!!! https://plus.google.com/116239866371932280576/posts

Thank you.
Your creative talents are breath taking. I especially luv your steam-eye steampunk mod. Something out of a Jules Verne novel. Like the Nautilus with a giant Kraken eye.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Exploding Capacitor (I'm ok)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx