gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:08:16 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fuse question for a single 18350 cell
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fuse question for a single 18350 cell  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Cavediver

Fuse question for a single 18350 cell
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
Hello all,
I'm working on an e-pipe and would like to add a fuse.  I'll be using a single 18350 to power this pipe, and will likely pair it with a 1.6 to 2 ohm clearo or dripper.

Having read through a few threads, I think I've got an understanding of what I need, but thought I should run it by y'all before placing my order:

This is my first choice:
Littelfuse 1210L350SLWR
This thing is pretty small, and that's very appealing for this application.  This will likely be soldered in line, and epoxied to the bottom or inside wall of the bowl (battery chamber).

Second choice:
Littelfuse 2920L300DR
This one's a little larger than I'd like, though I could probably still squeeze it in.  I'd really prefer the first option, but if it won't stand up to the heat...

Thanks!
Jay

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Fuse question for a single 18350 cell
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Sounds interesting would luv to see the pipe when done.

You first choice is good. It has an internal resistance of 18mOhm. This one here is 14mOhm --> PTC fuse
The lower the resistance the better. As Craig said many times, two in parallel would be best because it would be half the resistance.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
Nice find!  Thanks!
I'm going to get a couple of these on order, and hopefully have another pipe body or two ready in a week or two.  I'll make sure to post them up when I'm finished.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
My first pipe is nearly done; the only thing remaining is to add a finish (probably just wax). 
Here's a link to the build:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-pipe-models/477446-my-turn-another-diy-pipe.html

This one used a pre-fab fuse called a Vape Safe 2.  It's a nice unit, but at $10 per piece, it'll get expensive after more than one or two pipes.  As I plan to make myself quite a few of these pipes, the fuses discussed here will save me a fair bit of cash :)

When the next one's done, I'll be sure to post.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Jerseybob

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Cool pipe and a nice job. I just don't like that forum  :no:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
The Vape Safe fuses are pretty expensive considering they consist of about 25 cents in parts.  You can go to to Littelfuse and request samples of those fuse components they use for free.  They'll usually send me 10 at a time.  Though, it does make things easy if you want a simple safety solution for your mod.

You can do a lot better than the VapeSafe fuses.  They're only using a single compoent which introduces more power loss.  You can run two components in parallel to save on some insertion loss since it cuts inline resistance in half.  The higher trip current really is not a big issue since the battery can pulse a high enough current to trip the fuses without damage or safety risk.

I dont' visit ECF anymore either.  I have my reasons.  Mainly it just has a cold and industrial feel.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
The Vape Safe fuses are pretty expensive considering they consist of about 25 cents in parts.  You can go to to Littelfuse and request samples of those fuse components they use for free.  They'll usually send me 10 at a time.  Though, it does make things easy if you want a simple safety solution for your mod.

You can do a lot better than the VapeSafe fuses.  They're only using a single compoent which introduces more power loss.  You can run two components in parallel to save on some insertion loss since it cuts inline resistance in half.  The higher trip current really is not a big issue since the battery can pulse a high enough current to trip the fuses without damage or safety risk.

I dont' visit ECF anymore either.  I have my reasons.  Mainly it just has a cold and industrial feel.

This is where I get lost.  I'm not an electronics guy, so I have absolutely no idea what the real-world impact is when talking about the resistance of these fuses.  I understand the concept, but picking the correct equation to determine actual voltage (amperage?) loss is a little beyond me.

While we're on the subject, what difference would I see between those fuses?  Higher resistance clearly translates into less power and a lighter hit, but the values seem to be so small that they'd hardly be worth worrying about.  Am I totally off base with that opinion? 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
The less resistance electrical current flow encounters on the way to the load (the atomizer) the less power is wasted and the more is delivered to the load.  That's why you want as little resistance as possible between the battery and atomizer. 

Every conductor has resistance including wires, tubes, contacts, anything carrying the flow of electricity.  It may be only a couple thousands of an Ohm or several Ohms.  When dealing with the somewhat high electrical currents required to power an atomizer, every little bit can make a difference.  Power loss is the square of the current times the resistance it encounters so power loss goes up exponentially with current flow.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fuse question for a single 18350 cell

gfxgfx
gfx gfx