Breaktru Forum

eCigarette Forum => Modding => Topic started by: mamu on December 10, 2014, 11:16:59 AM

Title: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on December 10, 2014, 11:16:59 AM
The build is the same for the three versions with electronics down the center and dual 18650 batts, just a bit of a design difference...

Avani v1 design - black buttons, 3D printed bezel, maroon Hammond 1550P, have also done this version with 3D printed case using CopperFill

Avani v2 design - silver buttons, 3D printed case with CopperFill

Avani v3 design - DNA40 large screen, 3D printed bezel, black Hammond 1550P with black buttons - ninja style  :laughing:

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-1.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-2.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-3.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-4.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-5.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-6.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/av-7.png)










Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on December 10, 2014, 11:46:19 AM
All three are beautiful Mamu.
You're getting a lot of use out of your 3D printer. Well done  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Visus on December 10, 2014, 04:36:47 PM
The maroon color is uber but confused cause the new display is uber in the ninja heck just send me all three lol..
  :thumbsup:

Very nice Mamu
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on December 10, 2014, 05:24:53 PM
Thanks breaktru and Visus!

It's funny I didn't like the large screen when I first saw it, but now it's my fave.  The regular screen looks like a premie next to it lol.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: CraigHB on December 10, 2014, 05:49:44 PM
I like those big screens with my crappy close vision.  The ones I use have large font and I can see them easily.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on December 10, 2014, 06:44:46 PM
Yup, I'm luv'in my larger screen on the DNA 40 too
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on December 10, 2014, 09:02:14 PM
As always, beautiful work, Mamu.  Really impressive.  Words kind of fail me now... ;cheers;
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on December 11, 2014, 04:42:41 PM
TY wa9w00d!
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Mandro on December 21, 2014, 03:50:27 AM
All three look fantastic  :thumbsup:

I haven't had chance to get my hands on the larger screen version, it looks great in the black V3 and the display looks clearer but I think that it may be too big for the ones that I'm working on.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: david4500 on December 21, 2014, 09:30:40 AM
Would you mind sharing a link or part # for the silver fire switch used on avani v2?
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on December 21, 2014, 02:03:06 PM
Thanks Mandro!

David - the switch is MSW-1202 - email alex@whr.hk for ordering.

http://www.mitec.com.hk/MSW-1202 (http://www.mitec.com.hk/MSW-1202)

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Wharf Rat on January 07, 2015, 12:40:14 AM
 The switch I have been using has a high bounce timing. Probably 40%+ are locking the DNA. Mamu, have you had any problems with the MiTech ? I'm using a 16mm switch, have you used that from them ?
Thanks ~
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on January 07, 2015, 11:36:16 AM
hey Wharf Rat - not having any problems with the mitec switch.  I've not bought the 16mm one, only the 12mm one.

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Wharf Rat on January 07, 2015, 11:26:55 PM
Thanks Mamu, Alex just got back to me.... You're the Best :)
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 02, 2015, 06:17:05 PM
DNA40 in a 1590A (92.5mm x 38.5mm x 31mm) with a 26650 batt... yup it fits lol if dremel the side walls some.  No depth room for a screen bezel though.

I love the small size of this case!

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/1590a-1.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/1590a-2.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/1590a-3.png)
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on February 02, 2015, 06:40:18 PM
Awesome!  And I love that you still work in a medium that is available to pretty much everyone.  If I had a 3D printer, not sure I'd do the same.

Thanks,

Wayne
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 02, 2015, 06:43:47 PM
Thanks, wa!

I flip between the two, depends on what I want.  But I sorta combined with this mod - that's a 3D printed 26650 batt sled I used.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on February 02, 2015, 07:20:23 PM
A bit off topic, but may I ask if you've used the temp control of the 40 much?  I have one, and first tried a build on a magma clone. acted squirrely, but then tried a build on a kayfun - still using it - but it does seem to taste different  than the same juice on another kayfun.

Thanks,
Wayne
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 02, 2015, 07:51:09 PM
Excellent mamu  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 02, 2015, 10:00:04 PM
Thanks, breaktru!

wa - I use TP most the time.  Love it!  Don't love building the nickel coil though lol.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Visus on February 02, 2015, 10:52:54 PM
Very nice Mamu
That is perfect size IMO

I was torn between the dna40 and sx mini; but,  with so many saying how hard it is to get the coil right,  then the taste,
connection, etc. plus I am allergic to almost everything lol  and I have power already but the sx mini screen whoa-- I am gonna stay with kanthal builds  and origin OKr and Ti mods but that build makes me dna40 wanna have it.  One big arse batt is baller  :thumbsup:..

Thats pocket friendly huge mah sweeeeetness..
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 03, 2015, 04:45:47 PM
Thanks, Visus!
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: VapingBad on February 03, 2015, 07:22:48 PM
Love the 1590A  26650
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 04, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
Your 1590a is the only Hammonds build I've even ever contemplated. Very nice!
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 07, 2015, 03:28:19 PM
Thanks guys!
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 07, 2015, 09:00:41 PM
This dual 18650's still waiting for a stable 40. I got a display glitch out of the first boards returned to me from Evolv, so I wait.
(http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/Wylie_Rods/IMG_20141115_030508_zpsknv4bhk4.jpg)
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 08, 2015, 08:54:09 AM
Nice Podunk. Too bad about your dna40
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 08, 2015, 09:03:58 AM
Thanks!
The buttons are a real trick, they have to be accessed/installed from the battery cylinder area so I don't want to have to do this too many times. It's powder coated and pretty obvious it's my first attempt at powder coating being the orange peal look. I figure it's less of a fingerprint magnet because of the orange peal anyway, it's my cop out and I'm sticking to it.  ;)
What I consider to be the best part of this build is there's no need for tools to change batteries, something I try to do with all my builds now.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 08, 2015, 11:42:29 AM
Sweet enclosure, Podunk.  Did you make it?  Looks like brass for the caps and surrounding the buttons.

I hear ya about easily inserting/removing batts with not having to use tools.  Do you have a back door then held with magnets?  Or is it from the bottom cap?

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 08, 2015, 12:21:01 PM
Thanks Mamu!
It's the same enclosure as your Jaxs you did. Did I spell that right?
It's just the other side of the enclosure for the display and buttons so I'm going to have to cut the mounting rails off the 40, it's real tight inside!
Yeah that's brass caps and the inlay looking area is brass as well. I have a manual mill and do the metal work myself like the recess between the up and down buttons but I sure would like to go CNC!

Battery changes are done by way of the bottom cap and a photography type D-ring screw used on tripods that I modify. They have a hex recess in the screw just in case it ends up too tight at any time or if someone might want to tighten it up really tight, namely me.
I'm looking at different processes of fabrication to maybe be able to offer these to people. I'd like to be able to do it but with the manual mill and all the parts these would be pretty expensive the way this one was put together.
I haven't managed to incorporate USB charging yet, like I said it's real tight inside and I just don't find myself using USB charging anyway.

I just tried to send you a message Mamu, and it wouldn't go through?

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mrbump82 on February 13, 2015, 10:17:15 PM
My dna 40s I'm liking the big screen as well but the other two seem to follow me around
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 18, 2015, 03:44:20 PM
Mera DNA40 with 26650 batt.  3D printed frame, sleeve, and batt holder. 

I did a re-design from the original design I did - moved the 510 to the back and recessed it and changed from a 12mm Mitec switch to a 16mm Mitec switch.

I fought a losing battle with having an ABS sleeve - warped on the outside length.  Would be doable if I increased the wall thickness, but didn't want to do that as I'd also have to increase the width of the frame.  So... I had options.  :yes"  The copperFill, bronzeFill, and woodFill filaments from ColorFabb worked out perfect!  Now waiting for brassFill which should be available soon.

20 plus hours of print time (I set the printer to print slow and at very low layer height for best quality) plus 3 hours or so of after print sanding/polishing is very time consuming, so I uploaded the design to imaterialise (the white Mera).  Comes good to go except needs painting - need someone to paint it for me lol.

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/mera-01.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/mera-02.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/mera-03.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/mera-04.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/mera-05.png)

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 18, 2015, 03:50:31 PM
Beautiful mamu  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 18, 2015, 04:02:48 PM
Thanks, breaktru!

Working with this form factor with a frame and sleeve reminded me of my very first mod - remember this?

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/fistpack.png)
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 18, 2015, 05:09:14 PM
Yes I remember. But you took it way beyond. Luv the fire button and 510 recess. Are those magnets holding the sleeve on? Cool.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 18, 2015, 05:56:28 PM
Yes, 6x magnets in frame 3x on each side and 6x magnets in sleeve 3x on each side.  Sleeve snaps onto frame - I love that snap action lol.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 18, 2015, 06:02:46 PM
I also luv the sound of the snap of a magnetic cover. That, and the sound of chambering a round in my 12 gauge shotgun  :laughing:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Visus on February 18, 2015, 09:33:39 PM
Woot
Another hit out the park Mamu

Wondering if that acetone fume bath would help the print lines for ya,  ease up the sanding a bit?

Love your 1st mods,  those were awesome, as I said somewhere before follow Ma its been prophetic, 
;cheers; to some of the sharpest mods out there.

I love the Zero mods and your new print..  gimme  :thumbsup:

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: CraigHB on February 19, 2015, 05:16:25 AM
Yes beautiful work, you're an artist.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 19, 2015, 07:36:08 AM
Very Nice Mamu!
A partner and myself have gone into 3D printing as well and have had thoughts of buying a printer although print times as you have mentioned take quite a while.  20 hours for print time verses the 30 days for prints ordered is a huge difference.
Would you mind me asking which printer you are using and your estimated material expense for this Mera print?




Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 19, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Thanks guys!

I have one more design I'm working on.  I've already named it Tuxedo - maybe you can guess then what it might look like.  :laughing:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: VapingBad on February 20, 2015, 09:08:45 PM
Very nice work, as usual, mamu
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: nosmo ke on February 23, 2015, 12:50:34 PM
... so I uploaded the design to imaterialise (the white Mera)..

I couldn't find it! Could you post a link please?
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 23, 2015, 01:59:01 PM
Thanks, VapingBad!

nosmo ke - I uploaded the Mera case for personal use only, so its setting is private, not for sale. 
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: nosmo ke on February 23, 2015, 07:26:57 PM
...
nosmo ke - I uploaded the Mera case for personal use only, so its setting is private, not for sale.

My sadness knows no bounds mamu. I was about to start work on a VaporFlask type mod but that Mera is so much cuter my motivation evaporated instantly!
Thanks anyway for a stellar project idea.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 26, 2015, 09:05:39 AM
Been tinkering with getting the DNA40 large screen centered - top, bottom, left, right, for the new mod I'm making. I did eight samples with eight different screen stops and eight different off-center screen guides.

This large screen not only needs a guide stop for centering top and bottom, but also the screen centered left to right since it's not centered on the OLED glass.

I got one perfect one now good to go.   :yes"

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/ls-screen-1.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/ls-screen-3.png)

Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on February 26, 2015, 09:16:51 AM
Nice work mamu  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on February 26, 2015, 06:11:09 PM
Thanks, breaktru!
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on March 27, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
Thanks Mandro!

David - the switch is MSW-1202 - email alex@whr.hk for ordering.

http://www.mitec.com.hk/MSW-1202 (http://www.mitec.com.hk/MSW-1202)

For anyone interested in the mitec switches, varitube is now selling them, 12 and 16 mm.  But only the flush version.  Not especially cheap there ($8.75), but shipping from mitec is cost prohibitive for a small quantity.  I was quoted $35.00 to ship 5 switches, on top of the $8.10 each for the switches.  I'm hoping varitube sells enough that they start carrying the convex units too. I know they are gonna sell one, 'cause I want to check one out, even if it is flush.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on April 05, 2015, 06:25:04 PM
For anyone interested in the mitec switches, varitube is now selling them, 12 and 16 mm.  But only the flush version.  Not especially cheap there ($8.75), but shipping from mitec is cost prohibitive for a small quantity.  I was quoted $35.00 to ship 5 switches, on top of the $8.10 each for the switches.  I'm hoping varitube sells enough that they start carrying the convex units too. I know they are gonna sell one, 'cause I want to check one out, even if it is flush.

Well dang, - I guess VariTube has reason to expand their lineup of these.  I snagged a 12 mm, liked it and was gonna add a 16 mm (for evaluation) to today's order, but they're sold out. Bad for me at the moment, but reason to hope that they will expand the lineup.   :yes"
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mrbump82 on April 06, 2015, 09:41:59 PM
I bought the 16 mm ones and love them
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: wa9w00d on April 07, 2015, 07:31:26 AM
I bought the 16 mm ones and love them

Heh - so you're the one that bought them all!  Just kidding, but it is only the 16's they're out of.  So anyone wanting to try the 12, better get it quick...

Wayne
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on April 09, 2015, 12:41:23 AM
Tuxedo DNA40 with dual 18650 batts and reverse batt protection. 

3D printed case using ABS.  Went through 9 revisions some with shaving depth here and there.  There's not an unch of space to spare it's packed lol.

Second to last pic is size comparison with Hammond 1590A (92.5mm x 38.5mm x 31mm) with Tux (90mm x 43mm x 31mm).

Last pic is where I got the inspiration for the Tux design - a power bank that I bought quite a while back and never got around to modding.

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-1.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-2.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-3.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-4.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-5.png)

(http://www.mamumods.com/pics/tux-d-6.png)
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Breaktru on April 09, 2015, 06:52:46 AM
Another beauty. Well done as usual  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on April 09, 2015, 03:42:53 PM
Thanks breaktru!  I really like this one and want to do a few more colors with it and then think I'll take a break... for a while.  :laughing:
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: david4500 on April 09, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
The newest mod, I don't like it... I LOVE IT!

Really size, symmetry and color contrast.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Visus on April 09, 2015, 04:59:09 PM
Excellent its unbelievable where you are now Mamu wow thats kewl

It came out the air to form in your own lab is awesome..


Ya cannot stop,  ya gotta get  a 555 pwm mod in collection... 
I really wanna see how it vapes...

Badarse Tux is Badarse,  Mr. Clean
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on April 09, 2015, 05:57:57 PM
Thanks guys!

lol Visus - can't seem to kick up the interest in doing a 555 pwm mod.  The DNA and Raptor 20A keep me happy and rock my vaping boat.  :yes"
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: nosmo ke on April 09, 2015, 06:57:21 PM
I think that is a real Object of Desire. Fantastic work Mamu.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: mamu on April 10, 2015, 06:31:15 PM
Thanks nosmo!

I thought the depth of 31mm might be an issue, but it doesn't seem to be as it fits comfortably in the hand.  When I first designed Tux, the depth was 37mm, so I had to do some creative packing to get the depth down to 31mm to stack DNA screen and board plus the dual batt sled plus dual 18650 batts plus the depth of the front and back of the case lol.
Title: Re: DNA40 line-up...
Post by: Mandro on May 07, 2015, 02:00:33 AM
Love it !!!!
Great looks, great finish and great size.