Breaktru Forum
eCigarette Forum => Modding => Topic started by: jd4x4 on February 22, 2012, 09:08:05 PM
-
My history with electronics usually results in pyrotechnics.. but has anyone seen this TI chip and would like to comment on using it in a VV mod? (i.e. help/suggestions??)
http://www.ti.com/product/tps63060
I've got a sample ordered to see what it smells like after I attempt soldering it into something. :laughing:
-
My thoughts on the this chip is: it's not worth the trouble for these results:
2A/1A Output Current at 5V in Buck Mode
1.3A Output Current at 5V in Boost Mode (VIN>4V)
-
If they made a high output version, it would be a great chip. Though it would complicate it a lot because with higher currents, you need external MOSFETs and feedback compensation if you want the best efficiency. Here's (http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3785) what I'm talking about.
-
Thanx for the insight guys. I'm a noob and don't currently have a VV or even a decent breakout box to go by, but my rough calcs say that I'm good vaping somewhere around 4.5 to 5 watts with a top feed clearomizer and the right juice. So while that does put me right at the edge of this chip in boost mode, since I've got a freebie on the way if I have the other components lying around maybe I'll try it out and report back.
In the short month that I've been vaping, I'm finding enough variables with this stuff to keep me guessing/experimenting for years. What have you guys found as your 'sweet spot' in watts? I'm guessing that it is highly dependent on the juice & vaporization method? For example, I seem to see a big difference with the same juice between a top feed, bottom feed, and a filled cart all with the same rough ohms & volt combination. (Bearing in mind that I've only been using 3.7v 'e-cig' batts so far).
-
I tend to run around 4.5V with a 3 ohm cartomizer. Power is V2/R so that's 6.8W. I sometimes go higher if I want to take shorter hits. You can use too much power and make vapors too hot or taste poorly so there's definitely a happy medium.
I have't found juice to be a huge variable in my voltage preferences, though I mix my own and always use the same formula, 40% PG, 60%VG (thinned with alcohol). My wife likes the more popular 80% PG, 20% VG mix.
Your atomizer can be a big variable. Mainly its resistance since it's a factor in power consumption, but also the type of atomizer can have an effect.