Breaktru Forum
eCigarette Forum => Modding => Topic started by: memnoch on June 14, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
-
So I saw a while ago someone broke and fixed their oled (the connector broke?), well I finally put mine into a box after sitting on it for months (been too busy) and as I was finishing up, the plastic on the end by the cable neatly broke (not the display bit, but where the cable runs into it). After fiddling for a long while trying to expose the cable within to solder it I finally gave up.
I saw some links in another post listing similar displays, anyone successfully replace one? It appears to be an i2c connector (I could be wrong). If that's the case my guess is any 96x16 (or any other dimensions in theory) should work? I'd like to make this thing nice again (though like always I'm never 100% happy with the enclosures I find).
thanks
-
Contact Evolv and see if they can replace the whole board for you.
I was able to solder the board end of the cable as shown HERE (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,709.msg5744.html#msg5744)
If the 96x16 display uses the same controller than if can be swapped. The software code is controller specific.
-
Contact Evolv and see if they can replace the whole board for you.
I ordered this months ago, do you think they will still cover it? Even on user error?
I was able to solder the board end of the cable as shown HERE (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,709.msg5744.html#msg5744)
Yeah, yours broke the same way mine did, almost exactly even. I guess you had more visible cable from within the sandwiched plastic.
If the 96x16 display uses the same controller than if can be swapped. The software code is controller specific.
Yeah, I'm aware it's controller specific, but if it's i2c it should be relatively compatible (in theory, hw differences clearly can change a lot), I was really just checking...
I guess I'll drop them a line and hope for the best, thanks!
-
It's worth a shot contacting Evolv. Ya never know.
And if a replacement by Evolv doesn't pan out, give the alternate display a try. It's useless the way it is now anyway.
-
It's worth a shot contacting Evolv. Ya never know.
Yeah, I sent them a message via their submission form on their webpage (I found it in the email correspondence relating to the original purchase), we'll see ::crosses fingers and hopes for the best::
And if a replacement by Evolv doesn't pan out, give the alternate display a try.
Yeah, I've been looking around, going to throughly scour the original to find markings and see if I can't figure out exactly what they're using (if they're not willing to tel me).
It's useless the way it is now anyway.
For the most part, yeah. I dialed in my settings right before it broke, so it's actually usable ATM. I could also always test the voltage with my DMM... take the resistance of the cartomizer, blah blah blah and ... but yeah, you're right. While the display wasn't the only nice thing about it, it was a key feature I paid extra for and would rather not live without.
Thanks for the nudge / push / shove in the right direction!
-
You may want to give this a look over: Replacement Displays (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,709.msg6029.html#msg6029)
-
You may want to give this a look over: Replacement Displays (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,709.msg6029.html#msg6029)
I'd read that in the past when it was posted and searched and found it again yesterday, you said:
Here is one that looks like it but it needs to be the exact part #.
Which is a very good point, i2c or not, with a little more research depending on how it's implemented, portability is never guaranteed.
-
I broke my original DNA20 board I got in the first release, which was December before Christmas. I was tinkering with it and snapped the OLED off the board in early March. They replaced it.
There is a one year warranty on the DNA20. Needless to say that the OLED cable is the most fragile and unforgiving part of the chip. I have broken quite a few myself and they've replaced them everytime.