Breaktru Forum

eCigarette Forum => Modding => Topic started by: Mandro on August 24, 2013, 06:53:11 AM

Title: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 24, 2013, 06:53:11 AM
After my earlier success at re-building an old VV box mod I decided to make one from scratch.
This one takes 2 x 18650,s and uses the Ptr08100 chip.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on August 24, 2013, 07:27:03 AM
 :beer-toast: Nice work Mandro. It looks really good  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 24, 2013, 07:44:25 AM
Thanks Breaktru and thanks to the forum, I wouldn't have known where to start before joining.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jomurp on August 24, 2013, 07:48:59 AM
 ;cheers; Nice power house mod  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: charming on August 24, 2013, 08:36:41 AM
very good mandro, way to go.
I like this forum.  No nasty criticism from a 15yr old mindset  :yes"
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: breakstuff on August 24, 2013, 12:08:50 PM
Wonderful  :applaude:
How's it vaping? The 08100w is a great board
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 24, 2013, 12:36:44 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.
It's vaping great. I've got a few mechanical mods but VV has always been my preferred choice. I've not tried any other chips yet but I'm happy to continue using the 08100.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on August 25, 2013, 12:39:58 AM
Very nicely done.  I love your casing, I might have to get a hold of one of those for one of my 08100 chips.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on August 25, 2013, 05:49:54 PM
Very Nice Mandro. Sweet looking case and I love the double battery config. I'm still new when it comes to chip sets, but whatever you're doing it working great for you!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on August 25, 2013, 07:07:26 PM
Nice looking box Mandro, excellent craftsmanship.

@jumper; Some boards just use one chip, others use more than one.  The DC-DC converter modules (switching regulators) like the Murata OKR and Texas Instruments PTR comprise just one chip that performs just one task.  That task is to regulate output voltage.

Other boards are available that comprise more than one chip like the DNA20, Nivel board, and some Chinese boards you can get a hold of like the Vamo board.  Those provide a display along with other functions like resistance checking and battery monitoring. 

Even though these mod boards use a "set" of chips, those chips are not specifically designed to work in tandem to provide a wide range of generic functions like a computer chip set.  They use a combination of general purpose chips put together to perform a small set of particular functions.  It's not just you, I often see people referring to mod boards as "chip sets".  Just seems odd to me.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on August 25, 2013, 07:59:54 PM
Thanks for the lesson about "chip sets". I'll be better about those now that I know. I may have said this before, but I got to ask... I got about 4 of these from Madvapes when I made my first order from them: http://www.madvapes.com/ncp630a-3-amp-adjustable-regulator-2089.html

These are supposed to be regulators (I've hear they are not that efficient), but since I have 4 of them I wanted to know if they would work for a vv mod? It seems that I need some resistors to go with it that I don't have, but next month I might be able to buy some.

Soooooo what do you think?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jerseybob on August 25, 2013, 08:29:11 PM
Thanks for the lesson about "chip sets". I'll be better about those now that I know. I may have said this before, but I got to ask... I got about 4 of these from Madvapes when I made my first order from them: http://www.madvapes.com/ncp630a-3-amp-adjustable-regulator-2089.html

These are supposed to be regulators (I've hear they are not that efficient), but since I have 4 of them I wanted to know if they would work for a vv mod? It seems that I need some resistors to go with it that I don't have, but next month I might be able to buy some.

Soooooo what do you think?

Yeah not efficient but an easy intro to VV I guess.
You need (2) 10k resistors and a 50K trimmer pot. A circuit board may help too but not 100% necessary.

See LearFX's topic: http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?topic=388.0 (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?topic=388.0)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on August 25, 2013, 08:32:17 PM
Since you're new to boards and circuits, I'd take a look at this: VV Board Kit (http://www.madvapes.com/variable-voltage-regulator-board-kit-rev-50.html), then ask MadVapes when they are going to get in just the board.  Then it should be just like a paint by number.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on August 25, 2013, 08:55:27 PM
Thanks Jerseybob and Phestr. I appreciate both of your input on this. But when Phestr said: "since your new to boards and circuits". Well that leads me to believe that it's the best way for me to go since I've never tried one before. Not to shoot you down Bob, I'm just trying to make my first one as easy as possible :)

edit: I just read again what you wrote better Phestr. Are you saying just get the board since I already have the regulators?. There's a third item (it looks like) there that I don't have. It's on the right (is that a pot?). I have some resistors for LEDs but they probably won't work.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on August 25, 2013, 09:05:00 PM
You did it again, Jumper...you old thread thief!  :laughing2:  Sending you a PM.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: michamer on August 25, 2013, 09:40:35 PM
Well done Mandro  :rockin smiley: nice work dude.

@jumper: Jerseybob listed the parts you need and linked to a diagram. Maybe you missed it?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on August 25, 2013, 09:51:14 PM
You're right Phestr. Sorry everyone. I really don't mean to do this. I just get excited sometimes and barge in to ask a question.

my apologies :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 26, 2013, 03:49:33 AM
Thanks again for all the positive comments.
@jumper, you are more than welcome to ask your questions on this thread.
A couple of months ago, I didn't have a clue about any of this stuff and I still don't know much but it's questions like yours and the answers from those that do know there stuff that have made it possible for me to really enjoy my new hobby.
I wish that I had the courage to ask the questions myself.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 02, 2013, 09:30:23 AM
I've finished my 3rd box. This is another twin VV box but this time it takes 2 x 18500's. Its smaller than my twin 18350 box because it hasn't got a internal voltmeter. I took advantage of Breaktru's in line voltmeter post and put the voltmeter in a old carto tank. its not got the atty connection because I'm using it just to check my set voltage.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on October 02, 2013, 10:07:57 AM
That is a sweet mod  :rockin smiley:
Nice choice using 18500 batteries. I like them too. Keeps the size down and perform better than the 18350.
I imagine you used the PTR08100 again in this mod too  :thumbsup:
Is that a metal enclosure? Looks really nice. Good size.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: vaperkarma on October 02, 2013, 10:19:36 AM
I totally agree with everything breaktru said and I also like the button and the voltage meter came out very well  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 02, 2013, 10:45:23 AM
That is a sweet mod  :rockin smiley:
Nice choice using 18500 batteries. I like them too. Keeps the size down and perform better than the 18350.
I imagine you used the PTR08100 again in this mod too  :thumbsup:
Is that a metal enclosure? Looks really nice. Good size.

Thanks, yes it's the PTR08100 and a aluminium enclosure.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on October 02, 2013, 11:37:05 PM
Where does this enclosure come from?  It's the perfect size!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 03, 2013, 02:49:32 AM
Where does this enclosure come from?  It's the perfect size!

I got it from Farnell, it's a Hammond 1550P and it cost £6.80 in the UK. It comes unfinished so I gave it a polish.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on October 03, 2013, 03:13:48 PM
Great looking mods Mandro!  I like the carto tank voltmeter idea.  I might have to steal it :)  So what's next ...maybe a DNA20 in your future?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 03, 2013, 03:34:11 PM
Thanks kortt, I stole the carto tank idea from Breaktu,s thread, I just haven't got any pill bottles. I think I'll probably do a DNA mod next, I've got all the parts for it but I'm still not sure what box I would like to use.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on October 03, 2013, 03:38:19 PM
Thanks kortt, I stole the carto tank idea from Breaktu,s thread, I just haven't got any pill bottles. I think I'll probably do a DNA mod next, I've got all the parts for it but I'm still not sure what box I would like to use.

Wait until you get older, you'll have plenty of pill bottles  :laughing2:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 03, 2013, 04:13:51 PM
Wait until you get older, you'll have plenty of pill bottles  :laughing2:

Lol, I think that I've been lucky up until now, I'm 49 and haven't been to the docs for over 10 yrs
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on October 03, 2013, 04:16:51 PM
Wait until you get older, you'll have plenty of pill bottles  :laughing2:

The Geritol Mod!  or maybe the Carter's Little Liver pills mini mod?  lol
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on October 03, 2013, 05:04:37 PM
Wait until you get older, you'll have plenty of pill bottles  :laughing2:

Ain't that the truth :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kaddigart on October 04, 2013, 08:43:52 PM
I like the window in the black one. Was it to fit the batteries or just a wild hair? Either way it reminds me of my first PC mod years ago. A mid ATX tower with the plexi window that shows off the hardware...I wonder if you could get cold cathode lighting small enough to work in a box that size  :Thinking:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 05, 2013, 04:23:26 AM
I like the window in the black one. Was it to fit the batteries or just a wild hair? Either way it reminds me of my first PC mod years ago. A mid ATX tower with the plexi window that shows off the hardware...I wonder if you could get cold cathode lighting small enough to work in a box that size  :Thinking:

Yes it was, that enclosure only has access top and bottom so I cut the back off and replaced it with the Perspex.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 15, 2013, 05:36:04 PM
It took a while to risk my modding knowledge on a DNA20 but thanks to this forum, it all worked out fine.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on November 15, 2013, 06:02:37 PM
Best looking box mod I've ever seen. You really need to pat yourself on the back for this one... Way2Go!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 15, 2013, 06:45:31 PM
Thanks jumper. It seems like the DNA20 as opened the door to quite a few DIY modders and people who wouldn't have dreamt about building there own mod have started building.
I've had my DNA for a while now and thought that I'd try and make it look a little different by drilling random holes in it.
Glad you like it.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on November 15, 2013, 06:49:13 PM
Thanks jumper. It seems like the DNA20 as opened the door to quite a few DIY modders and people who wouldn't have dreamt about building there own mod have started building.
I've had my DNA for a while now and thought that I'd try and make it look a little different by drilling random holes in it.
Glad you like it.

You're welcome about the mod. To me it's the holes in it that makes it look so good. Maybe I'll build a box mod someday. Might try to copy your style :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 15, 2013, 06:53:35 PM
I would be flattered, give it a go, it's great fun.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jumper on November 15, 2013, 06:58:06 PM
I would be flattered, give it a go, it's great fun.

Do you mind telling me where you got the original box?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 15, 2013, 07:16:08 PM
It's a regular Hammond 1550P, you can get them from most electrical suppliers. They are unfinished when you get them and the top, bottom and sides are not very square. I file them as square as I can and then polish them.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 15, 2013, 08:21:26 PM
Simply beautiful. Now that's a nice looking mod. Well done Mandro  :thumbsup:
I luv the way you fit in everything.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on November 16, 2013, 12:22:57 PM
That is a really sweet looking mod Mandro, nicely done.  You seem to be an expert on space management. lol

I know there are a lot of variables involved but out of curiosity how long does the battery(s) charge last in that one?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 16, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
That is a really sweet looking mod Mandro, nicely done.  You seem to be an expert on space management. lol

I know there are a lot of variables involved but out of curiosity how long does the battery(s) charge last in that one?
Simply beautiful. Now that's a nice looking mod. Well done Mandro  :thumbsup:
I luv the way you fit in everything.

Thanks for the kind comments.
I'm not too sure how long the charge lasts, I only finished it yesterday. Using my normal set up on genisis atty,s of around 1.3ohms I'm only taking the DNA20 up to 9watts max so the batteries seem to be lasting a long time.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on November 16, 2013, 04:38:54 PM
It's a beauty.  I also do a mod with a couple ICR 18650s like that.  That's a lot of charge capacity, you can't do much better.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 16, 2013, 05:08:12 PM
It's a beauty.  I also do a mod with a couple ICR 18650s like that.  That's a lot of charge capacity, you can't do much better.

Thanks,
I'm really pleased with its performance so far. 6 months ago I wouldn't have dreamt of attempting to build anything like this but since finding this forum, you guys have made it possible.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on November 16, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
I really like your atty connection. Did you fabricate it?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 16, 2013, 05:36:30 PM
I really like your atty connection. Did you fabricate it?

No, I wish that I had the tools and time to do stuff like that. It's a spare top connector from a mech mod.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: DjKiDD on November 17, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
Really professional looking, great job!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: zeus17 on November 18, 2013, 09:40:04 AM
really cool mod,and very clean too!!!
like those transparent ones,,,really reallt cool!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: delchrys on November 19, 2013, 10:41:52 AM
Hi i'm Bert from Holland and i like all the mod's around the net. I like to create my own mod, probably with an step down regulator and 2 batterys. But i am a bit overwhelmed by the different types of regulators. Is there some kind of Pro/con list of different types of regulators.
I'm particularly interested in sizes of the chips.
greetz Bert.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 19, 2013, 12:13:44 PM
Hi i'm Bert from Holland and i like all the mod's around the net. I like to create my own mod, probably with an step down regulator and 2 batterys. But i am a bit overwhelmed by the different types of regulators. Is there some kind of Pro/con list of different types of regulators.
I'm particularly interested in sizes of the chips.
greetz Bert.

Hi Bert and welcome to the forum.
As far as step down regulators there are only 2 that I would use. That is the PTR08100w and the OKR-T/10. Both are 10A / 50W. There is also a 3rd that I have used that is just as good which I won't mention here.
The advantage of the OKR over the PTR is that you do not need external capacitors and is a few dollars less in price. But.... you can get the PTR as a free sample on the TI.com site.
They are relatively small in size if you need to cram one in a tight spot. Input voltage is 4.5v to 14v so (2) 3.7v batteries in series will be needed.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: DjKiDD on November 19, 2013, 12:35:27 PM
Keeping secrets?
Which regulator are you not mentioning?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 19, 2013, 12:53:18 PM
 :-X :-X :-X
It's in here: DM - New Type DC-DC Converter Mod (http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,380.0.html)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: delchrys on November 19, 2013, 01:28:04 PM
@Breaktru, thanks for your reply, i was already looking at the PTR and the OKR. Those are looking realy good. Any advise on step up regulators???
Why aren't you speaking of the new type regulator if i may ask??? You have patent pending or for resale purposes???
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 19, 2013, 01:44:40 PM
@Breaktru, thanks for your reply, i was already looking at the PTR and the OKR. Those are looking realy good. Any advise on step up regulators???
Why aren't you speaking of the new type regulator if i may ask??? You have patent pending or for resale purposes???

The only boost regulator that I use is the PTN04050C. Performance wise you best stick to the step-ups mentioned. Although as I mentioned in a previous topic I have built a boost that performs very well exceeding the manufactures said limits.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: c1truz on November 20, 2013, 09:20:09 AM
Just had to say that the 3rd mod is absolutely gorgeous! :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: delchrys on November 20, 2013, 10:14:17 AM
somebody knows the dimensions of the different type of regulators step up/down??
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 20, 2013, 12:13:06 PM
Dimensions are in mm. Length includes extruding Pins.
PTR08100w: 10.41w x 11.5h x 20.56L
OKR-T/6 and T/10: 10.4w x 7.62h x 20.3L

Get familiar with reviewing the datasheets for dimensions and specifications
Both are similar in size except the height due to the inductor used. The OKR is a bit smaller in height. Width and length are similar.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 20, 2013, 12:29:01 PM
Just had to say that the 3rd mod is absolutely gorgeous! :rockin smiley:

Thanks.
TBH, I prefer  the 3rd mod to the DNA mod. I'm not sure if its the switch or just the way that I've put them together but the 3rd mod seems more responsive.
I do like the display on the DNA but after a while I don't bother to look at it. I think that a PTR08100 mod with battery level display would be my choice.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 20, 2013, 12:52:13 PM
I can't say that a mod with a DNA20d vapes better than a PTR08100 or OKR-T/10. They are all great vaping machines.
You can't beat the price of building a mod w/ a FREE Sample PTR and a 2 dollar DM attached.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 20, 2013, 01:32:50 PM
I can't say that a mod with a DNA20d vapes better than a PTR08100 or OKR-T/10. They are all great vaping machines.
You can't beat the price of building a mod w/ a FREE Sample PTR and a 2 dollar DM attached.

It took me a while to work out what a "DM" was lol. I've only used the LED displays in the past. Is there a smaller LCD one like the DNA display and if so, how difficult is it to wire up ?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 20, 2013, 01:51:41 PM
It took me a while to work out what a "DM" was lol. I've only used the LED displays in the past. Is there a smaller LCD one like the DNA display and if so, how difficult is it to wire up ?
Not a self contained display meter. You would have to build the circuitry.
These are nice. I have a few and work better than the 1S-6S meters. No flashing and pausing:
Corrected link. First one was wrong but this is the one here....... Mini Lithium Battery Digital Voltmeter DC (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170846277546&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 20, 2013, 02:05:01 PM
Thanks Breaktru, I've just ordered a few, great price.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 20, 2013, 03:01:41 PM
Thanks Breaktru, I've just ordered a few, great price.
Ah Oh....... I screwed up. Those meters require a power source of 5v-30v
If you use it in a mod with 2 series batteries then okay

This was the one I meant to link to: Mini Lithium Battery Digital Voltmeter DC (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170846277546&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 20, 2013, 04:38:53 PM
No problem, at these prices, I'll get a few of them as well. I could do with a few spares.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on November 21, 2013, 12:05:39 AM
You can't beat the price of building a mod w/ a FREE Sample PTR and a 2 dollar DM attached.
I just did the free sample thing from TI for a few things....I'll probably get dinged by fedex for duty or something since I'm in Canada, but hey at least the samples will be free :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on December 16, 2013, 04:16:06 PM
I can't say that a mod with a DNA20d vapes better than a PTR08100 or OKR-T/10. They are all great vaping machines.
You can't beat the price of building a mod w/ a FREE Sample PTR and a 2 dollar DM attached.

I now know why I preferred my PTR08100 to my DNA20.
My switch in the DNA20 mod was not working properly and eventually my mod kept switching itself off. Evolv advised me to change the switch, which I did and now it's working how it should, perfectly.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on December 16, 2013, 06:53:25 PM
I now know why I preferred my PTR08100 to my DNA20.
My switch in the DNA20 mod was not working properly and eventually my mod kept switching itself off. Evolv advised me to change the switch, which I did and now it's working how it should, perfectly.
Back in business
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: macaronytony on December 20, 2013, 02:29:03 PM
Hi Mandro, just read through your thread you have a great skill in making a box into a tardis.  :applaude:

Now I've got to build something with two 18650's in. Do really like the last one with the holes, given me some great ideas.

If they haven't got a Tamworth in America your just down the road from me.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on December 21, 2013, 04:06:55 AM
Hi Mandro, just read through your thread you have a great skill in making a box into a tardis.  :applaude:

Now I've got to build something with two 18650's in. Do really like the last one with the holes, given me some great ideas.

If they haven't got a Tamworth in America your just down the road from me.

Thanks macaronytony. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
And yes, I'm just down the road from you in the home of Vapefest.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 18, 2014, 07:38:52 AM
I'm looking forward to getting a DNA30 board but in the meantime I decided to make another 08100 mod.
Once again I used the Breaktru wiring design but I added mamu's voltage check design.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on January 18, 2014, 09:33:04 AM
Beautiful Mandro, well done. I love the polished mirror finish too.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on January 18, 2014, 10:57:36 AM
Your mod is gorgeous Mandro!  Love love the shiny! Great work with the design layout and packing the innards.   :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: thinman on January 18, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
Man, that is one nice looking box! Congrats!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 18, 2014, 12:03:19 PM
 :) Thanks for all the nice comments.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on January 18, 2014, 12:06:12 PM
That is sexy!  I noticed you removed the screw hole in the corner with the battery.  Did you glue the screw head into the cover for that corner? 

Nice job, love the name on the side.  Is that laser etched?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 18, 2014, 12:25:41 PM
Cheers kortt.
Yes, I cut the threads off the screw and glued the screw head in place.
Before I polished the box, I drew the name with a pencil and then used a dremel to etch it. Close up, it looks a bit rough but I'm quite pleased with it.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on January 18, 2014, 01:12:29 PM
That takes a real steady hand to etch like that  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on January 18, 2014, 02:56:32 PM
Yes, lovely looking.  I also like a mirror chrome look.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: doobedoobedo on January 18, 2014, 05:41:52 PM
That's really nice.

Can't beat cramming the most you can get into all the available space either :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 18, 2014, 06:35:34 PM
Thanks guys.
These aluminium boxes are really easy to polish up. I purchased a polishing kit that you use on a normal drill for around £20. I got 4 different polishing mops and 2 polishing compounds.
I enlarged the spindle holes on the mops and use them on a old bench grinder.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: timesarerough on January 18, 2014, 11:40:32 PM
WoW.... What a beautiful mod Mandro!

Nice size on that one, really like it.  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on January 19, 2014, 01:32:28 AM
Awesome
Its gorgeous

@TimesR that mod will hit 70 watts, just saying  scared:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on January 19, 2014, 01:44:06 AM
Cheers kortt.
Yes, I cut the threads off the screw and glued the screw head in place.
Before I polished the box, I drew the name with a pencil and then used a dremel to etch it. Close up, it looks a bit rough but I'm quite pleased with it.

Covers are always a bothersome after I saw this video it made amazing ideas happen for me.
I cant believe you got all that in there.  I must build it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuiOdK1alc
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 31, 2014, 01:53:15 PM
I had a go with the Ptn4050C this time. It was the hardest build so far.
It was the first time that I put in a tactile switch/mosfet, PTC fuses, usb charger(except the DNA20) and a master switch. Thanks Breaktru for the chip/mosfet schematic.
It's powered by one 18650 battery and it's a Hammond 1550Q enclosure. I also used a smaller than normal voltage display that couples as a battery voltage checker.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on January 31, 2014, 02:12:57 PM
Sweet mod, Mandro!

Nice and tiny and your cutouts and holes are perfect.

I like the cutout window - that's creative and cool!

Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Romelee on January 31, 2014, 02:20:58 PM
Simply gorgeous, love it :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on January 31, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
Simply beautiful. Well done Mandro.
That is some excellent craftsmanship
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 31, 2014, 02:35:16 PM
Thanks for the kind comments and thanks again Breaktru, the circuit is almost the exact copy of the one that you posted.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on January 31, 2014, 02:55:24 PM
I bragged about your builds on ecf  last year,  they are gorgeous
now 2014 and whoa  I have new bragginz material. 
Thats awesome and a 18650 to boot I would tell ya stop lying  if I didn't see myself a 18650 fits in there..
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 31, 2014, 03:25:36 PM
Thanks Visus, I've had the enclosure for a while and I've got more 18650's than 18350's. Plus I wanted to use a 18650 on a single battery mod.
I was going to do a build with the atty inside of a bigger box but decided to use the small box.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on January 31, 2014, 03:29:02 PM
Wow Mandro, you did it again!  Very ingenious...love the battery tube in a box idea.  That is thinking "outside the box" lol.  Which voltage display is that?  Is that the one with the two small tabs on each end of the PCB and only two wires?

Edit: After looking at your first pic it looks like the meter I'm thinking of.  I think it's the same one as I'm using in my current build.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on January 31, 2014, 03:47:30 PM
How cool is that.  That's some totally "out of the box" thinking on that design, literally.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 31, 2014, 04:08:42 PM
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed building this one, mainly because I got to try some new(to me) components.
This forum and you guys make building these possible plus I get to learn more about electronics.
It's the first time that I've used fuses and mosfets so a special thanks to Craig for helping it all make sense.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on January 31, 2014, 04:16:51 PM
My current  work in progress is an 04050c mod just using a 3A switch...I'll have to try out the mosfet on the next one.  The window in the side is a great touch.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on January 31, 2014, 04:36:56 PM
I'll probably use a tactile switch/mosfet from now on, they take up so little space. I also like the reassuring  "click" that you get with them.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: brian2778 on February 04, 2014, 09:28:56 AM
That's an awesome build. I want to build something similar and didn't know squat about the internals until I found this site. I run a machine shop so I can do the box myself,  just need to get internals.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 04, 2014, 10:07:19 AM
Thanks brian
I originally came to this site to find out how to fix an old box mod and caught the modding bug.
If I hadn't converted the garage into a sewing workshop, I think that I'd be tempted to have my own mini workshop in there lol
I look forward to seeing your build.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on February 04, 2014, 01:14:40 PM
If I hadn't converted the garage into a sewing workshop, I think that I'd be tempted to have my own mini workshop in there lol

You can always put up a partition wall. Half sewing room, half workshopo
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 04, 2014, 01:52:16 PM
You can always put up a partition wall. Half sewing room, half workshopo

Unfortunately my garage isn't even big enough to get my 4x4 vehicle in it and my partner is already asking for more space.
Plus I'm not brave enough to make such a suggestion lol
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on February 04, 2014, 02:06:00 PM
I don't know Mandro, looks like your doing quite well with the space you've got...judging by the quality of the mods you've shown us here :)   :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 04, 2014, 02:20:08 PM
I don't know Mandro, looks like your doing quite well with the space you've got...judging by the quality of the mods you've shown us here :)   :thumbsup:

Thanks kortt, TBH I don't need much space. I only have a problem when I want to do some polishing, that as to be done in the garden and it never seems to stop raining.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: snoop1928 on February 13, 2014, 08:36:36 PM
Thanks kortt, TBH I don't need much space. I only have a problem when I want to do some polishing, that as to be done in the garden and it never seems to stop raining.
[/hi thats a great british weather for you , some great mods youve put together there cant wait to put something together my self, but its a pain trying to find the right parts in this neck of the woods. as said many times on this site wealth of info for us newbies to get the bug]
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 14, 2014, 11:53:32 AM
Here is my latest effort. This time I decided to make the enclosure myself. It was influenced by Breaktru's Side by Side Copper bullet.

Its powered by the Ptr08100 chip and dual 18650 batteries.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on February 14, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
ok, now, that's just plain awesome right there!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 14, 2014, 12:05:23 PM
Thanks Kortt.

I forgot to post a photo of it in my hand, just to get an idea of the size.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on February 14, 2014, 12:33:24 PM
 ;hubba; Exquisite  ;hubba;
Great design and handy work  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: macaronytony on February 14, 2014, 12:48:51 PM
Mandro you've just gone from great to awesome. very impressive. 
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Pantera on February 14, 2014, 12:51:17 PM
Well if you can't buy a case, make one. You can't buy something as cool as this.
Well done Mandro  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 14, 2014, 12:56:09 PM
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed building this one.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on February 14, 2014, 07:10:14 PM
Another beauty and creative use of materials

Looks like a museum piece of a workhorse already..   
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on February 14, 2014, 10:23:52 PM
I really like it! Well done! Niiiiice!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Romelee on February 15, 2014, 12:56:31 PM
I want it....off to put on balaclava and rob you ;hubba;

Really loving it, pure class ;bow;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on February 15, 2014, 04:52:07 PM
I'd really like an explanation of your machining techniques.  For science.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: snoop1928 on February 15, 2014, 05:29:51 PM
man o man words cant say how that looks ?
Brill how inventive of you
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 15, 2014, 08:46:53 PM
I'd really like an explanation of your machining techniques.  For science.

First of all, thanks for the nice comments.
The design and build of my mods is the easy part. This forum as given me all the information that I need to make something that works.
I use a cheap drill press(£60) and hand tools, ie files, adhesive and time.
All of the mods that I make are used regularly and work flawlessly  and I'm still trying to understand exactly how they work but most of the credit should go to those that have tried and tested these various chips/boards, fuses, mosfets etc and have unselfishly shared the information to make it possible to build these.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: doobedoobedo on February 15, 2014, 08:56:59 PM
First of all, thanks for the nice comments.
The design and build of my mods is the easy part. This forum as given me all the information that I need to make something that works.
I use a cheap drill press(£60) and hand tools, ie files, adhesive and time.

It was well worth the effort you put into it. Lovely looking mod.

All of the mods that I make are used regularly and work flawlessly  and I'm still trying to understand exactly how they work but most of the credit should go to those that have tried and tested these various chips/boards, fuses, mosfets etc and have unselfishly shared the information to make it possible to build these.

I'll second that.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: deftones on February 28, 2014, 06:42:09 AM
Pure awesomeness, Mandro! I love the way you design and work with aluminium. Thumbs up!  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 28, 2014, 11:22:56 AM
Pure awesomeness, Mandro! I love the way you design and work with aluminium. Thumbs up!  :thumbsup:

Thanks deftones, I like using aluminium because it's easy to cut and shape using hand tools.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 14, 2014, 01:24:08 PM
This is my latest build. It's powered by the Naos Raptor chip and takes dual 18650,s
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on March 14, 2014, 01:36:36 PM
Dude, you are a true artist.  That enclosure is .....I just don't have the words.   :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 14, 2014, 01:50:11 PM
Thanks kortt, I forgot to say I followed mamu's wiring diagram, so a special thank you mamu.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: sphearion on March 14, 2014, 02:49:20 PM
 freaked_out: If only my 1590b's looked that awesome!   :beer-toast:

Great work on all your mods!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on March 14, 2014, 03:38:24 PM
You have great skills Mandro. Excellent work
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Squance on March 14, 2014, 03:40:21 PM
Great size and look. You can't buy a box as nice as this  :applaude:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 14, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Thanks guys.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on March 14, 2014, 05:55:11 PM
For sure, great looking mod.  Your craftsmanship is always impressive.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on March 14, 2014, 06:15:51 PM
Its the ugliest box on Earth
Nah you can do better
you know what i'll take it off  you for free
to free you of its hideousness
 fainting:


Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on March 14, 2014, 06:45:24 PM
First of all, thanks for the nice comments.
The design and build of my mods is the easy part. This forum as given me all the information that I need to make something that works.
I use a cheap drill press(£60) and hand tools, ie files, adhesive and time.
All of the mods that I make are used regularly and work flawlessly  and I'm still trying to understand exactly how they work but most of the credit should go to those that have tried and tested these various chips/boards, fuses, mosfets etc and have unselfishly shared the information to make it possible to build these.

Here here!!! Even if I did spell it wrong. Couldn't have said that better!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on March 14, 2014, 07:03:25 PM
Mandro

You're doing some amazing stuff there! And, oooooooh yeeeeeah it looks shweet!!! Love the polished finish! You gotta love it when a plan comes together like that.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on March 14, 2014, 07:32:29 PM
Absolutely cool Mandro!

Am curious - what are you using to adhere the batt contacts?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Wttincamo on March 14, 2014, 10:31:04 PM
It looks like sugru

http://sugru.com/
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: rdwilliamson on March 14, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
Great mod!!!

Very well done.  ;bow;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 15, 2014, 01:09:09 AM
Thank you  ;cheers; and thanks mamu for the tutorial/thread.
Absolutely cool Mandro!

Am curious - what are you using to adhere the batt contacts?
It looks like sugru

http://sugru.com/

Yes it's sugru, Romelee posted a link for it so I thought that I'd give it a try. It's not cheap, I paid £12 for 8 small packs, I used 1 pack to make 4 battery contacts on this one.
It is very good stuff, you have around 30 mins to shape it then you leave it to set for 24 hrs. It sticks to most materials and can take quite a lot of heat.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 19, 2014, 04:29:46 AM
I'm just adding this rough drawing of one of my builds because it was requested but I'm not sure how to add photo's in messages.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on March 19, 2014, 05:21:01 AM
Wow that'a rough drawing?  Looks like a proper engineering drawing to me.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 19, 2014, 05:40:09 AM
Wow that'a rough drawing?  Looks like a proper engineering drawing to me.

Lol. I should have said that it's the best(rough) drawing that I could do.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Phestr on March 19, 2014, 07:59:08 AM
Cheers, mate! This build is the right size for me, and I've got a few of these chips around, so this is my next build.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on March 19, 2014, 09:32:03 AM
Like I could use that drawing to replicate your mod, I want the mod from itself lol...
My tools and machineees were stolen I am rebuilding my toolshed, tools from my youth even, from almost zero..

There was a post on ecf about what mods would you buy if money was no issue..
 I had Craigs, Breaks, Mamu, and yours,  its really cool seeing it all come together here..

Nice drawing
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on March 19, 2014, 10:06:57 AM
I'm just adding this rough drawing of one of my builds because it was requested but I'm not sure how to add photo's in messages.


Aaaah! Mandro
I like it!
Someone after my own heart! Old school pen/pencil to paper. My son has finally convinced me to learn Sketchup as it's one of several types he uses. Whole new skill set for me but I can see the benefits longer term, I'll admit it's taking time to remember how to utilize all the commands. Even on the free addition! Still using pencil to paper to sketch an idea then transfer to Sketchup and some frustration time!  raged:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 19, 2014, 10:39:31 AM

Aaaah! Mandro
I like it!
Someone after my own heart! Old school pen/pencil to paper. My son has finally convinced me to learn Sketchup as it's one of several types he uses. Whole new skill set for me but I can see the benefits longer term, I'll admit it's taking time to remember how to utilize all the commands. Even on the free addition! Still using pencil to paper to sketch an idea then transfer to Sketchup and some frustration time!  raged:

I've tried drawing on the computer but it's all too confusing to me lol. I only do the odd scaffold drawing and by using pencil/paper it makes it easier to do an equipment list, for me anyway.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on March 19, 2014, 11:20:28 AM
Yup, know where you're coming from! I'm learning as I go with sketchup and still use line drawings for the most part. These younger folk were brought up in the tech age and have that going for them but applying it to materials by hand is a new learning curve for most of them.

Sketchup has some very good free tutes. Although I find myself re-watching them over and over as I work with it to get the instruction to stick and that's ok. Also find it's a use-it-or-loss-it! LOL! "Can I have another piece of paper please". (really old Bill Cosby skit line ei: 1970s). Still like the idea of learning new (too me) stuff.  As I've told my son, he keeps dragging ever deeper into this abyss of newer technologies for my old school mind.

Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Boonos on March 19, 2014, 10:23:59 PM
WOW MANDRO!!! your builds are amazing.

I see you are in Tamworth. Which Australian suppliers do you mostly use for electronics, switches etc?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 20, 2014, 02:29:58 AM
Thanks Boonos,
I'm in Tamworth, UK. I get most of my supplies from Farnell elements and RS components, they both have Australian branches.
I get my aluminium from a local supplier.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Boonos on March 20, 2014, 07:07:58 AM
lol, ah i thought it was tam worth AUS  Doh:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on March 20, 2014, 05:10:51 PM
My son has finally convinced me to learn Sketchup as it's one of several types he uses. Whole new skill set for me but I can see the benefits longer term, I'll admit it's taking time to remember how to utilize all the commands. Even on the free addition! Still using pencil to paper to sketch an idea then transfer to Sketchup and some frustration time!

My 3D drawing program is one of my most useful and valued of all that I have.  I initially tried SketchUp and it's pretty good, but I was able to get a student license for SolidWorks from an engineering buddy.  Unfortunately it's way too expensive for a hobbyist to purchase, but the program is really amazing.  Big learning curve, but it's actually pretty easy to use once you get used to it. 

SketchUp is pretty good, but the one thing I don't like about it is the grid, not fine enough.  It's more of a generic program not really suited for small parts with high precision, but it can still do a good job and you can't complain about the price (free).  It doesn't natively support the STL plot files for getting stuff manufactured, but you can get a plugin for it that does a good job (at least that was the case for the version I tried some time ago).
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 23, 2014, 02:35:33 PM
This is my last one for a while(work commitments)
It's another dual 18650 Dna20 with charger.
Unfortunately it fell off my work surface while testing and it cracked the screen display.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on March 23, 2014, 02:41:31 PM
Beautiful and smart looking.
Too bad about the cracked display
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 23, 2014, 03:13:54 PM
Thanks Breaktru, it's not too bad TBH, it still works perfectly.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Romelee on March 23, 2014, 04:19:35 PM
Fantastic work Mandro, loving the recessed rims on the buttons aswell as everything else :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on March 23, 2014, 08:04:15 PM
Stunning work of art Mandro!!

Do the batts just slip in and out, or do you have to remove an end cap? 

I've replaced non working/cracked screens with using an smd hot air soldering station - This one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FA481G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

I never thought I could do that kind of micro soldering, but it is relatively easy with the right equipment.

You can buy replacement screens here: .69 inch 96x16 OLED screen (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-69-inch-96x16-OLED-panel-OLED-screen-OLED-Blue-White/384367009.html) (I request the blue)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on March 23, 2014, 09:01:05 PM
Mandro

I like your style! Very nice once again!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on March 23, 2014, 10:28:13 PM
Impressive
Capsaicin
Exotic

Colorful
Original
Liquid
Design
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 24, 2014, 02:26:34 AM
Thanks for the nice comments  ;cheers;

Stunning work of art Mandro!!

Do the batts just slip in and out, or do you have to remove an end cap? 

I've replaced non working/cracked screens with using an smd hot air soldering station - This one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FA481G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

I never thought I could do that kind of micro soldering, but it is relatively easy with the right equipment.

You can buy replacement screens here: .69 inch 96x16 OLED screen (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-69-inch-96x16-OLED-panel-OLED-screen-OLED-Blue-White/384367009.html) (I request the blue)

The bottom plate is attached with 4 screws and once removed, the batteries slide out. It's got a built in charger so I won't be changing the batteries often.
Thanks for the links. I don't think that I'll be attempting micro soldering for a while, I don't think that my hands are steady enough lol.
I'm already getting used to the cracked screen, I think it adds character lol
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on March 27, 2014, 06:20:18 PM
Really nice looking and a unique concept on handling battery replacement, just excellent.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: kortt on March 29, 2014, 02:24:40 PM
Once again, outstanding!  Man, I can't seem to finish one mod in the time you've made...what 50?  lol, j/k!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 30, 2014, 03:03:14 PM
Thanks guys.
Once again, outstanding!  Man, I can't seem to finish one mod in the time you've made...what 50?  lol, j/k!

Lol. This is definitely my last one for a while.
It,s a dual 14500 4050 mod with a sunken atty.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on March 30, 2014, 03:20:14 PM
Great work  :rockin smiley:
How are you liking the 04050 w/ dual 14500's.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 30, 2014, 03:44:09 PM
Great work  :rockin smiley:
How are you liking the 04050 w/ dual 14500's.

Thanks.
I only finished it today so I'm not sure how long the batteries will last but so far, it's performing as good as my 08100 with twin 18650,s.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: been there on March 30, 2014, 04:48:09 PM
I rarely post anything and for sure not as often as I should but Mandro your builds are simply amazing , you got a true gift.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on March 30, 2014, 05:03:56 PM
I rarely post anything and for sure not as often as I should but Mandro your builds are simply amazing , you got a true gift.

Thank you been there   ;cheers;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on April 01, 2014, 11:53:41 PM
Thanks guys.
Lol. This is definitely my last one for a while.
It,s a dual 14500 4050 mod with a sunken atty.

Schweeeeet! It's A BABY! Very nice once again. Well done sir!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on April 15, 2014, 01:34:09 AM
Mandro, what epoxy are you using to glue up your aluminium cases.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 15, 2014, 01:37:22 PM
Mandro, what epoxy are you using to glue up your aluminium cases.

I've been using JB Weld. If left long enough to dry( about 24 - 30 hrs) I can achieve a very solid bond.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 22, 2014, 02:23:24 PM
I couldn't live with my broken screen on my DNA20 so I rebuilt it. The original mod was a little uncomfortable to hold so I changed it to a single 18650 with a 04050 chip.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on April 22, 2014, 02:54:57 PM
Mandro

Love the look you get! What is the black-n-white striped inlay material?

Looks PURDY!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 22, 2014, 03:24:11 PM
Mandro

Love the look you get! What is the black-n-white striped inlay material?

Looks PURDY!

 ;cheers;

It's white Perspex, I used a dremel cutting disk to cut the lines, covered it in ink and then rubbed it down with sand paper.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on April 22, 2014, 03:26:02 PM
Thanks! Very nice look!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on April 22, 2014, 03:52:34 PM
Beautiful job and a nice hand size
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on April 22, 2014, 05:20:53 PM
Even purdier.

I love how smooth the 4050 vapes its still my favorite, I have not vaped a dna yet..  I compare the 4050 to a provari vape they both are silky smooth..
BTW the 4050 works awesomely  above 20 watts using it everyday at 27 watts its been 2.5 months no problems yet with the 4050..
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Boonos on April 22, 2014, 06:56:13 PM
great job. SKILLS!!!!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: steamEngine on April 22, 2014, 07:12:01 PM
Fantastic  :beer-toast: Real quality work
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: yogi on April 22, 2014, 07:20:19 PM
Mandro the Magician  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on April 23, 2014, 12:54:55 AM
Lovely!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on April 23, 2014, 01:15:38 AM
I liked version 1 with the exposed batteries, it was different and kinda raw, but v2.0 looks really nice.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 23, 2014, 04:45:03 AM
Thanks guys.

I liked version 1 with the exposed batteries, it was different and kinda raw, but v2.0 looks really nice.

If I hadn't damaged it, I would have kept V1 because I liked the look of it.
 I've got quite a few box mods now and I found that I wasn't using the V1 because it wasn't very comfortable in my hand.
I'll probably make another one the same as V1 but with the DNA30 and single battery(if I get any time this summer).
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: vaperkarma on April 23, 2014, 12:40:25 PM
I like this one better  ;cheers;
Well done mate
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 25, 2014, 05:59:00 PM
I like this one better  ;cheers;
Well done mate

Thanks  :)
I really like the DNA board, especially the display but I do get a higher level of satisfaction when I use a TI chip and everything works correctly.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: memoevapor on April 29, 2014, 07:05:50 PM
Mandro,   Amazing builds!! :beer-toast:
What size C channel did you use on the Raptor build?
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on April 30, 2014, 01:11:40 AM
Mandro,   Amazing builds!! :beer-toast:
What size C channel did you use on the Raptor build?

 ;cheers;

I used 1 x 1/2" @1/8" thick.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: memoevapor on April 30, 2014, 06:40:20 AM
Thank you! :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: baron von bubba on May 22, 2014, 03:41:05 AM
hey mandro.
nice to see a friendly face.   :)

loving the work mate, truly inspirational to me as im just building my first box.   :applaude:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on May 22, 2014, 04:52:36 AM
Thanks baron, it's good to see you over here and I look forward to seeing your build.
Personally I can't wait to start building again but ill be too busy at work for the next few months.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: N-Lab Mix on May 22, 2014, 12:20:26 PM
Gud day! I'm new here... Hope someone can help me or show me how to use transistor as switch for overcurrent protection installing at inhibit of PTR08100wvd, where will I connect the connector, the base and the emitter? Thanks in advance!!!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on May 23, 2014, 05:58:32 PM
Need more info than that.  First you need something to detect an over-current condition and drive a transistor.  I would take more parts than just a transistor.

For logic signals, it's generally better to use a small signal MOSFET rather than a standard bipolar transistor.  Bipolar transistors require biasing where FETs do not.  Also, FETs have virtually zero current draw at the gate where you have a bias draw at the base for a bipolar transistor.  FETs are generally superior to bipolar transistors for any switching application. 
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: N-Lab Mix on May 24, 2014, 04:42:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Sir CraigHB.. Big help... One more thing, is there's any procedure and guideline using MOSFET as switching application here? Another newbie questions... Thanks and more power!!!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on May 24, 2014, 12:52:55 PM
Well, there's no tutorial here that explains how to use a MOSFETs in our particular application.  You can find discussions about using them for a particular task by searching the posts here, but you won't find everything in one place.  For a general explanation of how to use a transistor as a switch, see these tutorials;

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/index.html

That's the third chapter of that tutorial so if anything there is past your understanding, you'll need go back to  Chapter 1 of the volume;
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: N-Lab Mix on May 25, 2014, 04:09:22 AM
Thanks again sir Craig highly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: baron von bubba on May 25, 2014, 08:34:14 AM
Thanks guys.
These aluminium boxes are really easy to polish up. I purchased a polishing kit that you use on a normal drill for around £20. I got 4 different polishing mops and 2 polishing compounds.
I enlarged the spindle holes on the mops and use them on a old bench grinder.

do you file the boxes edges to square them up first?

think i took a little too much off my first box squaring it up, the front with drilled button holes and display slot blew in when i aqua blasted it.   :facepalm:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on May 25, 2014, 02:15:33 PM
do you file the boxes edges to square them up first?

think i took a little too much off my first box squaring it up, the front with drilled button holes and display slot blew in when i aqua blasted it.   :facepalm:

Yes, I file them down a bit. I don't (can't) get them perfectly squared but it doesn't show up so much once I've drilled holes, cut slots and polished them.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: whoretapia on June 14, 2014, 10:34:08 PM
That's how I wanould like mine to look. Great job!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Claviger on June 15, 2014, 02:39:26 AM
incredible work Mandro.

I absolutely love the exposed battery mod pre change. After is nice too, but pre was something that really differed from everything else I have seen.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on June 15, 2014, 05:51:51 AM
incredible work Mandro.

I absolutely love the exposed battery mod pre change. After is nice too, but pre was something that really differed from everything else I have seen.

Thanks Claviger
I haven't built one in a while due to my hectic work schedule and can't wait to get back into building.
 
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 30, 2014, 11:59:38 AM
It's been a while since I made my last mod. Here is my latest build, The" Imod"
It's a DNA30 mod. It's the first one that I've used Lipo batteries, it's got 2 x Zippy 850mah.

Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on August 30, 2014, 12:30:52 PM
Amazingly Beautiful! You do shiny very well sir!  :applaude:

Yup, That time of the year when the summer activities wind down and we can get back to building! Would love to see some build photos!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on August 30, 2014, 12:31:25 PM
You win whatever prize for most badarse dna mod in the history of dna mods thus far
that is breathtakingly painful cause I do not own it..  :laughing2:

Its fantastic looking like a supermodel or ferrari

   :Thinking:
trade ya a can of creamed corn and green beans for it..

aha one day that barter may be viable the way things heading..


 ;hubba;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on August 30, 2014, 12:46:55 PM
A real high quality looking mod.
Man you have a knack at making beautiful mods Mandro
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 30, 2014, 12:56:39 PM
Thanks guys  :)

Yup, That time of the year when the summer activities wind down and we can get back to building! Would love to see some build photos!
Yes, I usually get quite a bit of time during the colder months.

Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on August 30, 2014, 01:44:39 PM
Excellent! and Thanks for the build photos! You've got some fun tools there. I really do need to get a small lathe & mill.   ;cheers;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on August 30, 2014, 01:48:55 PM
Love the detail dots and contrasting metals. :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 30, 2014, 01:59:32 PM
Excellent! and Thanks for the build photos! You've got some fun tools there. I really do need to get a small lathe & mill.   ;cheers;

I've only just bought the micro mill (birthday present from misses) and it's the first time that I used it but it is a really nice machine. It's got a really small footprint which is good because I've got very limited space to work.
I've had my pillar drill for about a year now and would struggle without it.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on August 30, 2014, 05:17:17 PM
Haha! Yup, I know about limited space! Isn't it nice when you actually get a B-day gift that ya want and can use? :yes" Every time I want to do something it takes a while to move stuff around. Working on a nice little rolling cart that will house several small work station areas. With the scale of stuff I make and the area I have available it was bound to happen.

Looking forward to more of you builds.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: d_walk on August 30, 2014, 05:51:37 PM
Not only is this new mod beautiful and elegant but the size of it is great too
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on August 31, 2014, 09:34:21 AM
wowOwow Mandro - absolutely gorgeous!!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on August 31, 2014, 02:30:01 PM
Another one that should be put in a glass box and displayed in the museum of vaping  :applaude:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on August 31, 2014, 02:30:50 PM
Another one that should be put in a glass box and displayed in the museum of vaping  :applaude:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on August 31, 2014, 03:10:20 PM
Thank you  :)
And thanks again to this forum.
The biggest improvement on this one is the quality of soldering on the inside.
It was the first time that I've used lipo,s so I decided to be extra careful and try and improve my soldering techniques.
After studying threads on here and watching a few "how to" video,s I not only managed to solder the lipo tabs easily but all my other connections where greatly improved.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: jomurp on August 31, 2014, 04:47:29 PM
Spectacular Mandro  ;hubba;

Well you found the right forum for information. I'm so happy to be here myself
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: JLIT on September 02, 2014, 02:05:52 AM
Very clean!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 01, 2014, 12:57:33 PM
This is my latest build. Its a SX350 50 watt chip with 3 x 1000 mAH lipo batteries.
It was a good way to get used to my micro mill machine.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on October 01, 2014, 01:18:48 PM
  unique awesome
looks like a water fountain

awesome

(http://www.drinkingfountaindoctor.com/images/thumbs/product/175x150/e/z/ezs8_a.jpg)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on October 01, 2014, 01:39:48 PM
Another gorgeous one off. Very interesting design.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on October 01, 2014, 02:46:43 PM
Very unique design. Your skills are amazing.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on October 01, 2014, 10:39:10 PM
Very interesting design!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: steamEngine on October 03, 2014, 11:43:46 AM
I am envious of your machining skills. Great design work as well
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on October 03, 2014, 05:07:35 PM
Yeah he needs his own gallery. 
where douche richy richers can bid on his arts they really are amazing


I will start the bidding here
trade:   lucky dice that I won big money from dirty Larry in the alley one day  :laughing2:

no seriously they are awesome and I would need a suit/slacks  to feel right vaping with one


Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on October 03, 2014, 05:46:34 PM
Thank you guys.
I've been using a micro mill on the last two. It really does take the hard work out of cut-outs and straight edges. It feels a bit like cheating lol.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: CraigHB on October 03, 2014, 09:54:16 PM
Yes you've made so many beautiful pieces they ~should~ be in a gallery.

I don't know, I kind of like that feeling of cheating with projects and coming out ahead.  I'm going to do a big electrical design cheat on my next project.  I'm going to attempt a DC-DC converter build with an MCU as the converter controller instead of the usual dedicated controller chip.  Of course the low power MCU's normally used for battery powered stuff are not fast enough to do that, but I figured out a way to get around it.  I've simulated the cheat and it and it works incredibly well so I'm going ahead with it.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 24, 2014, 12:27:00 PM
Here is my latest build, nothing new on the electronic side but it's my first single battery mod with a DNA30 chip.
I've added a photo of a hammond 1550P enclosure for size comparison.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: cccsteel on November 24, 2014, 12:42:53 PM
That is a great small size. I luv it  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: dennis15 on November 24, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
Crazy cool mate  :applaude:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on November 24, 2014, 12:46:59 PM
Mandro! Very nice, Congrats! Love the look and contrast of materials! With the Holidays upon use I was wondering what you were getting me for Xmas!  :thumbsup: The dark appears to be wood but I'm not sure. If so, did you also use  your mill to machine the wood? Also appears there are more holes than required. I'm figuring they're for weight reduction.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 24, 2014, 01:01:52 PM
Thanks guys  :)
@Littlefeather. The dark panels are black Perspex finished off with very rough sandpaper, they are then glued on with epoxy and the holes are just to give the glue more purchase.
Regarding weight reduction, I wish it was a little heavier as its a bit top heavy with a 22mm tank atty.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on November 24, 2014, 01:14:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification. It gave me the appearance not unlike ebony or black wood! Very nicely done. I love dissimilar material uses. You appear to be having fun with your new machine! I for one don't believe it's cheating when one can the desired effect with the use of a different tool! Somebody had to learn how to use the machine! Progress, and that's a good thing!  ;cheers;
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 24, 2014, 01:26:45 PM
 
Thanks for the clarification. It gave me the appearance not unlike ebony or black wood! Very nicely done. I love dissimilar material uses. You appear to be having fun with your new machine! I for one don't believe it's cheating when one can the desired effect with the use of a different tool! Somebody had to learn how to use the machine! Progress, and that's a good thing!  ;cheers;

I'm really enjoying the micro mill, it makes essential jobs easier but also allows me to do things that I couldn't do before.
For instance, on my latest build, I only wanted the side panels to be 2mm thick but I've only got 3mm Perspex. With the mill, it was easy to shave 1mm off the Perspex leaving the panel cut outs at 3mm so they just fit into place.
Also it's simple to make bespoke cradles for the DNA boards.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 24, 2014, 02:11:33 PM
Great size and great skills there Mandro. You are very talented with your micro milling machine.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 24, 2014, 02:31:26 PM
Great size and great skills there Mandro. You are very talented with your micro milling machine.

Thanks Breaktru. The machine is very easy to use especially after doing everything by hand for a year.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on November 24, 2014, 04:29:41 PM
Thanks Breaktru. The machine is very easy to use especially after doing everything by hand for a year.

Sure its nice using a machine to make things easier but the real credit goes to the person with the skills behind the machine. Hats off to you Mandro.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on November 24, 2014, 05:17:58 PM
Uber fantastic
If I am seeing it correctly very well did with the hinged access base plate and screw.

 freaked_out:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: wa9w00d on November 24, 2014, 10:07:43 PM
If I go hungry because I bought a mini mill, I'm gonna curse you!

(but thanks for the great pics!)

Wayne
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on November 25, 2014, 02:43:57 AM
Thanks guys
Uber fantastic
If I am seeing it correctly very well did with the hinged access base plate and screw.

 freaked_out:

The base plate is not hinged but the aluminium chanel fits snugly into the box section and is held in place by a screw and a removable retaining plate(for servicing if needed)
If I go hungry because I bought a mini mill, I'm gonna curse you!

(but thanks for the great pics!)

Wayne
Lol, you will spend so much time with the mill that you won't notice diner time has passed.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 08, 2015, 05:11:15 AM
These are a couple that I made over the last couple of months.
The first one is a DNA40 mod with 2 x 900mah round lipo's.

The second one is a BF DNA40 mod with a removable 18650 battery.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: macaronytony on February 08, 2015, 05:35:37 AM
Just love the squonker Mandro, your use of space is amazing. Doesn't look like there's any room for a battery.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on February 08, 2015, 07:48:33 AM
Truly purdy
high end
exquisite

beautiful
extraordinary
sweeet
tasteful

problem though,  if I put some of my stinky bum bum e juice in there
it will go nuclear
cannot in two places have that much awesome

 :thumbsup:




Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 08, 2015, 08:24:25 AM
Thanks guys.
It's the first time that I've used a BF/squonker and I'm loving it.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on February 08, 2015, 08:48:09 AM
These are a couple that I made over the last couple of months.
The first one is a DNA40 mod with 2 x 900mah round lipo's.

The second one is a BF DNA40 mod with a removable 18650 battery.

Mandro,
I see you're putting that mill to some fine use! Very nicely done! Love'em both! Would love to hear what the outside dimensions are ,and what size bottle are you using in your squonker? Is the purple color anodized?  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on February 08, 2015, 08:51:18 AM
Fantastic work. Both are amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us Mandro
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on February 08, 2015, 08:55:16 AM
Mandro,
I see you're putting that mill to some fine use! Very nicely done! Love'em both! Would love to hear what the outside dimensions are ,and what size bottle are you using in your squonker? Is the purple color anodized?  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 08, 2015, 09:08:14 AM
Thanks Breaktru

Mandro,
I see you're putting that mill to some fine use! Very nicely done! Love'em both! Would love to hear what the outside dimensions are ,and what size bottle are you using in your squonker? Is the purple color anodized?  :thumbsup:

Thank you, the smaller one is; H-77mm,W-39mm,D-25mm at its widest. The BF one is; H-95mm,W-48mm, D-25mm.
The bottle is sold as a 5ml bottle but it actually holds 7.5ml.
The purple is Perspex
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on February 08, 2015, 09:17:58 AM
Very good, thanks! Thought you may have been playing with anodizing a bit. Great color contrast! A nice stable of mods you're building up there!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: mamu on February 08, 2015, 11:36:53 AM
I dub your mods MEA, Mandro

Mandro Extraordinaire Art

Love love the tiny form factor! 
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on February 08, 2015, 12:20:25 PM
Thank you mamu  :)
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Podunk Steam on February 11, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
Damn! I just vaped my tank dry scrolling through the pictures, serious talent in here!
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on May 20, 2015, 12:04:00 PM
I haven't posted any builds for a while and thought that I'd wait until I had a few before posting.
They are all BF (squonking) boxes.
From the left, first one is a DNA40 then a 18650 unregulated mod and then 2 18500 unregulated mods.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Littlefeather on May 20, 2015, 12:07:23 PM
Niiiiice work! U been a busy boy!  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Breaktru on May 20, 2015, 01:38:21 PM
I haven't posted any builds for a while and thought that I'd wait until I had a few before posting.
They are all BF (squonking) boxes.
From the left, first one is a DNA40 then a 18650 unregulated mod and then 2 18500 unregulated mods.

WOW-WEE!
They are spectacular  :rockin smiley:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Poppy26 on May 20, 2015, 04:29:12 PM
Those are amazing creations. Great work Mandro
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jerseybob on May 20, 2015, 04:42:44 PM
As usual, amazing stuff by the amazing mandro
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on May 20, 2015, 04:43:49 PM
Thanks for the comments  :thankyou:
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Jasen on June 28, 2015, 11:12:19 AM
As always stellar work Mandro.

Any chance of seeing inside the DNA40, just can't figure how you did the display on that.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on June 28, 2015, 03:27:09 PM
As always stellar work Mandro.

Any chance of seeing inside the DNA40, just can't figure how you did the display on that.

Thank you  :)

It's difficult to see the board on the finished mod. The part of the enclosure where the board is installed is part of the original box section. The rest of the box section was cut out.The screen is folded back onto the board. The tube parts are just sections cut and fixed with JB weld onto the main box section.
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Visus on June 28, 2015, 05:31:12 PM
Once again badarse

Loving the 18500 squonks   :thumbsup:

Im having taste issues with the soft bottles squonking
the hard clear pet bottles taste best on hot days
The ejuice starts tasting like hair gel grossness with the soft squeeze
 happens often when hot..  :yes"
Title: Re: Box mod No2
Post by: Mandro on June 28, 2015, 05:38:03 PM
Once again badarse

Loving the 18500 squonks   :thumbsup:

Im having taste issues with the soft bottles squonking
the hard clear pet bottles taste best on hot days
The ejuice starts tasting like hair gel grossness with the soft squeeze
 happens often when hot..  :yes"

Thanks.

I live in the UK, we don't get many hot days  :laughing: