gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:45:26 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Making a nano coil...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Making a nano coil...  (Read 23500 times)

Offline mamu

• PV Master
Making a nano coil...
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
With RDAs (rebuildable dripping attys) and RTAs (rebuildable tank attys), or with just about any rebuildable bottom feeder, micro coils with cotton or hemp as a wick are a big boon in giving you a great hit as well as great flavor and taste.

A nano coil is for you if...
- you have trouble making a micro coil (me  :laughing:)

- you keep getting a burnt taste or hot spots with a micro coil when running at higher volts or watts (me   :laughing:)

- you want to do lower ohm resistance using thicker resistance wire

- you want to run a dual coil and have only an unch of space to fit 2 wicks/coils

Supplies:
Small paperclip (you can also use a darning needle, 18ga or 20ga syringe, etc)
Resistance wire gauge of your choice (I use 28ga A1 Kanthal)
Tweezers
Ohm meter (optional if you have a mod that measures resistance)
Cheesecloth and sewing needle with a small eye (optional)
Organic or sterile absorbent cotton
Butane torch

Note: making a nano coil is exactly the same as making a micro coil, except your goal is a tiny diameter.

Making the coil:
Cut a piece of resistance wire about 6" in length.  Lightly torch the wire to condition it for use and to make it a bit stiffer for wrapping.

Tightly wrap the resistance wire around the paperclip (12 wraps 28ga Kanthal gives 0.8 - 0.9 ohms using a small paperclip)...

Slide the coil off the paperclip (you'll need to carefully rotate it off since it will be on there tight) and position it in the tweezers, squeeze the tweezers a bit so there is no space between each wrap... make sure that each wrap is just touching the adjacent wrap without it being on top of the adjacent wrap...

Torch the coil until the coil glows red.  Let cool, check to make sure each wrap touches, torch again if necessary.

Slide the coil back on the paperclip (you'll need to rotate back on)... position each wire end into the positive and negative posts of the atty and pull the coil into position by tugging on each wire end (using the tweezers to tug on the wire end is easier)... make sure the first and last wrap is as close to its respective post as possible without the wrap actually touching the post...

Tighten the screws, clip excess wire, remove the paperclip.

Check ohms... if you don't get a reading, or the reading fluctuates, or the reading is way too high for the coil you've made, reposition the coil (make sure no wrap is touching either the positive or negative post and that the coil itself is not touching any metal)...

Attach the atty to your mod, pulse the fire button (1-2 sec presses of the fire button) and check to make sure the coil glows red from the center out... if it does not glow red from the center out, check to make sure each wrap is touching, check the position at the positive and negative posts... you can pulse the fire button to heat the coil and use the tweezers to press the wraps together if needed, just make sure you don't use the tweezers while pressing the fire button - always let go of the fire button before touching the coil with the tweezers...

Thread the sewing needle with about 6 strands of cheesecloth and insert through the center of the coil (this is optional as some do not use anything in the center of a nano coil and some thread a teeny tiny piece of cotton through the center of the coil.  I have great luck with no dry or burnt hits using a few strands of cheesecloth through the center of the coil)...

Trim each end of the cheesecloth...

Stuff the ends of the cheesecloth into the juice well of the atty, or if no juice well, tuck the ends underneath the coil... make a bed of cotton by stuffing a small amount under and around the coil...

Juice up the coil and cotton and test for hot spots by pressing the fire button (a hot spot is anywhere on the coil that glows red - hot spots will give a burnt taste as well as be a fire hazard)...

In the picture above, the right side of the coil is raised a bit and was a bit of concern, so I pushed that side of the coil down into the cotton a bit using the tweezers, now good to go...

With an RDA, you can tell when to drip by the first off-taste you get.  Don't let it go past that first off taste cuz the next taste will be a burnt taste.

This method of wick and coil requires that the wick and coil remain thoroughly juiced at all times to prevent hot spots and burnt cotton with a burnt taste.

When you get a major repeated funky taste, it's time to replace the cheesecloth and cotton.  Remove the old cheesecloth and cotton.  Dry burn the coil by pulsing the fire button several times.  Rinse the coil under warm running water if desired.  Replace the cheesecloth and cotton.  Good to go again.

Offline methos

Re: Making a nano coil...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
Great post mamu!!!!

Offline shanen35

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
Great posting,  :thankyou:

Offline macaronytony

• Hammer will fix most things.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
Very informative mamu, thanks for that.  :thumbsup:

What RDA is that your coiling up?

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
It's a Phoenix (Bulli) RDA.  Gives a great vape for a low cost RDA and is easy to build a wick/coil on it.

I have a Russian 91% RTA coming in - hopefully around mid January.

Offline macaronytony

• Hammer will fix most things.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
Cheers mamu, just ordered one. Like the idea of the deep well.

Did look at the Russian but too complicated for me, like it nice and simple just like me.   :thankyou:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »
Woot now thats a coil I can vape lol

constrained by the wicking material  I am a SS mesh snob but holy  coils making humongous rich clouds   :thumbsup:

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
Woot now thats a coil I can vape lol

constrained by the wicking material  I am a SS mesh snob but holy  coils making humongous rich clouds   :thumbsup:

you can still do mesh but,you'll need to roll it on a very fine rate or just cut it on a small size and twist,similar to how a ss rope looks like..

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
you can still do mesh but,you'll need to roll it on a very fine rate or just cut it on a small size and twist,similar to how a ss rope looks like..

Lol A 5" x 5" sheet   has lasted me a whole year I have enough SS mesh to last until I leave this place in three sheets, I have 20 5 x 5  sheets ;hubba;

yes its uber tiny piece of ss mesh screwed in with a strand of silica a very small strand and if done right it will not short on the ss mesh 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:38:33 PM by Visus »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »
Lol A 5" x 5" sheet   has lasted me a whole year I have enough SS mesh to last until I leave this place in three sheets, I have 20 5 x 5  sheets ;hubba;

yes its uber tiny piece of ss mesh screwed in with a strand of silica a very small strand and if done right it will not short on the ss mesh 

yup or cotton...

i mainly noticed as weill that ss mesh really performs great if combined either with silica cotton or ecowool...hehehehheheh

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
The old method of thin layer cotton I do not use any more,one to many dry burners, tank empty, shorts galore.  Its almost unbelievable that lil wee strand of silica can stop shorts and wick it uber fast but woot it does..

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Making a nano coil...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx