gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 18, 2024, 10:49:52 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: PCB Design software
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PCB Design software  (Read 5361 times)

Offline warlordxxx

PCB Design software
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
I want to eventually get some PCB's made up - I've seen the name Eagle thrown around a few times but what would your best choice of software to be both in ease of use and getting the files over to a PCB manufacturer?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: PCB Design software
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
Check it out --> HERE
and HERE

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Eagle is pretty much the defacto software for hobbyists.  The reason is it has a limited free version and is pretty much a professional level program.  Though it pales a bit in comparison to the stuff professionals more often use which costs thousands of dollars a seat. 

Some of the prototyping fabricators take raw Eagle files which is nice.  It saves the trouble of exporting files to Gerber and Excellon plot files which are industry standard.  It's not a big deal, but it's one less step and one less avenue for errors.  You don't want those since PCBs with errors make expensive coasters.

As far as using Eagle, it takes some getting used to so be prepared to spend some time with it.  It's not a particularly intuitive to use program, but it's tolerable.  Though I have to admit, it's made me want to throw my monitor through the window a few times.

If you use Linux there's a package called gEDA that's professional level.  I'm not totally familiar with it, but I've used some its components and I've been impressed so far.  That one's free and full featured.  It may have less "monitor through the window" factor than Eagle.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:41:01 PM by CraigHB »

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
Thanks Craig and Breaktru - That's what I was getting at Craig again I have no problems with learning new things but to learn and produce with eagle then find out the PCB maker wanted it in a format Eagle wasn't capable of making would not be a happy occasion lol - Some of the best software out there has a steep learning curve and I have no issues with that although there may be a few Monitor throwing moments lol

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
You can use just about any software you want as long as it can export to Gerber and Excellon plot files.  Any fab will take those since that's the standard file format.  Though, you'll probably also want to make your own PCBs so in that case, you want software than can mirror print output and print at a 1:1 scale exactly.  That allows you to do a "toner transfer" to etch PCBs yourself.  Eagle can to that, but it's not always guaranteed with any software.

Offline c1truz

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
I use eagle.  Its free, works good enough, and oshpark uses raw eagle files.  I have never tried anything else and it did take me a few weeks working on it to get it down.  Well i still learn on a daily basis but I've made about 5 boards so far.  2 of them work(with exception to one my screw up which was my fault).  The other 3 are otw.  You can get libraries for it that have most parts in them.  I know newark has a lot of eagle files also.   I make most of my parts from the datasheets and haven't had a problem yet.  GL learning it can be a PITA but its rewarding in the end. 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
Yeah, the Eagle library editor leaves a lot to be desired.  I don't use any canned parts, I draw them all up myself.  The problem with the canned ones is they're designed for normal prodution where there's no need for much lead off on the pads.  For hand soldering, I need a bit of a tail there.

It's the library editor that has been the biggest cause of grief for me in using Eagle.  Also, it likes to do things a lot where it thinks it's helping me, but it's actually making things more difficult.  I've used a few others and they work somewhat better, but I stick with Eagle, it does the job well enough and it's what most hobbyists are using anyway.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: PCB Design software

gfxgfx
gfx gfx