gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 06:40:28 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Throat Hit
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Throat Hit  (Read 26562 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Throat Hit
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
To me: Throat Hit (TH) is Throat irritation (TI). It is caused by too much PG. I liked the Johnson Creek Tennessee Cured Original in 18mg. The Original is PG base. Although I love the flavoring I cut it with VG down to 15mg. TH & TI lessened, much better now. After polishing off the bottle, I ordered 2 bottles of JC's Tennessee Cured Red Oak which is VG based. Tastes a bit stronger in flavoring so I cut it down to 15mg with VG. Taste is now more to my liking. Probably better to cut it with a little PG being it is a VG base eJuice and only a little PG is added. If you would like my free PC eJuice Calculator you can download it here - "eJuice Me Up" at: http://www.ejuice.breaktru.com

Offline jeandbean

Re: Throat Hit
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:48:48 AM »
I like a little throat hit. I use about 25% PG w/ 75% VG mixed with my Nicotine liquid.

Offline tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »
VG is my choice. Don't like the PG. It runs through my cart. Nothing worse than a mouthful of juice. Yuk.

Offline bbb

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »
my first post here, hi Breaktru, I had a few discussions with you a few years back if you remember ... I agree with you, TH = TI ... at least for me, I smoked for 40 yrs and don't need to be reminded how miserable my throat would feel ... and any juice mix with more than 50% PG doesn't agree with my gut anyway

I have Barretts Esophagus, which is a condition where the stomach lining starts to grow into the esophagus to protect it from irritation, caused partially by my tobacco smoking ... it is a pre-cancerous condition, but I stopped smoking in time ... no worries with vaping tho

what I like now, and favor, is "mouth feel", the sensation of thick, copious, flavorful vapor which you can feel and taste, as you draw ... a bit like thick pipe tobacco or cigar type smoke, both of which I also smoked besides cigarettes

I vaped mostly NETs for the last year and I'm moving on ... I still like some lab juice tobacco type flavors and even if they're tobacco in name only, some lab juices fit my evolving taste ... I've also become disappointed in the weak flavors I've been purchasing ... it could be my damaged taste buds not working so well ... so, I'm going to try my hand at a little DIY ... I've had the calculator through many revisions, I did try some DIY yrs ago and wasn't good at it and gave up too quickly ... been vaping for 4 yrs and tired of weak flavors I can't seem to taste ... so I'll have plenty of questions ... cheers and thanks for all the great info here

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Hi bbb and thank you for your post. Wish more members would do so.
Sorry to hear about your condition. I am glad that you quit smoking before it advanced.

I too am currently into tobacco flavors although I occasionally alternate just to break up the boredom.
I like mixing some Dark Vapour w/ peach and Cuban w/ peach. Also like Maxx Blend straight up. I found a 50/50 - PG/VG ratio to my liking.

Takes some tweaking at first to make a good mix but once you find the right combo it's worth the effort.
I'm at a stage that mixing a batch of juice takes hardly any time at all.

Taste buds, yeah I know what you mean. I think we all experience that. I keep two or three tanks of different flavored mixes on hand and switch when the taste bud go limp on a particular mix.

Looking forward to your mixing stories. Good luck with it and thanks again for your participation.

Offline octoman

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
thank you for your post. Wish more members would do so.

I too am currently into tobacco flavors.........

I hear you brother. Here's my post.

Tobacco flavors are my preferred vape. Although I like an occasional fruity vape to mix it up a bit.

Offline Sweet-Vapors

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
Totally agree, some really like intense choke hit  freaked_out:, but I prefer a milder smooth flavor. I have recently tried seedmans tobacco flavors and really really enjoying them. for me, only need to use 1 or two drops per 10ml and is plenty of flavor. I typically mix my tobacco flavors at 60pg 40vg, and 70pg 30vg on other style of flavors. Seems to be working out well. I deal mostly with new vapers and converts, so the initial shock is not so bad. Not sure if anyone really remembers that first vape where you may have thought life was over as far as being able to breathe LOL. We seem to build some type of tolerance really quick, just like when we started smoking, except now, not stinking

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
Totally agree, some really like intense choke hit  freaked_out:, but I prefer a milder smooth flavor. I have recently tried seedmans tobacco flavors and really really enjoying them. for me, only need to use 1 or two drops per 10ml and is plenty of flavor.

I have some seedmans tobacco (TOBS12) sitting around. I think I will give it a go again. It's been a long time since I tried it. Hope it didn't spoil.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
What Seedmans flavors do you guys recommend.  Been wanting to try those.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
I've only tried the TOBS12 which I don't see anymore on their website. It was a Dirt strong tobacco. The new mix I just made is weak. I have it a long time and must be expired. Maybe @Sweet-Vapors can help here.

Offline vaperkarma

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
I use to smoke a pipe and loved Captain Black tobacco. Seedman has a Captain Black. Has anyone tried it?
Seedman's Flavoring It is down the page and listed as TOB507

Online wwwest

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »
I use to smoke a pipe and loved Captain Black tobacco. Seedman has a Captain Black. Has anyone tried it?
Seedman's Flavoring It is down the page and listed as TOB507

Haven't tried it myself but I found it on the Wizard Labs site.
This is their description hope it helps:

Concentrated Captain Black Tobacco flavoring by Seedman.
Adds a Captain Black Tobacco note with a hint of a Captian Black Tobacco-type fruitiness to any mix.

The Seedman Captain Black Tobacco flavoring concentrate is recommended more as a secondary flavoring component to be added to other primary flavorings.
Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavorings, Food Grade Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Dextrose

This concentrate is an enhancer for flavoring traditional tobacco, not an FDA approved food flavoring.

All Wizard Labs flavor concentrates are undiluted, full strength concentrates from the manufacturer, and contain no Diacetyl.
Recommended usage is to test at 5% flavoring in your solution, and adjust to taste.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:10 AM »
I smoked cigs for 45 years and I don't like the throat hit in vaping. I don't inhale anymore because the throat hit annoys me. I am using a 50/50 mix (store bought). I was told that my Kanker Tech pro 2 won't work at higher VG ratio. Anyway, maybe that's because 50/50 is all they sell there. I'd like more VG if I could.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
I smoked cigs for 45 years and I don't like the throat hit in vaping. I don't inhale anymore because the throat hit annoys me. I am using a 50/50 mix (store bought). I was told that my Kanker Tech pro 2 won't work at higher VG ratio. Anyway, maybe that's because 50/50 is all they sell there. I'd like more VG if I could.

High VG can cause poor wicking in some tank types but fine in others.
Mixing your own eJuice at the PG/VG ratio of your choice maybe your next step.

New vapers sometimes have an issue with inhaling. Try to not inhale directly into your lungs but rather into your mouth, then slowly inhale. I think it's a matter of getting use to vaping. It's different than inhaling cigarette smoke.

Offline benridg

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:41 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have just started mixing my own liquids, I usually buy 50/50 PG/VG liquids in the shop at 6mg nic strength so I started mixing to this strength as I knew that was what I preferred however the first 2 mixes I made have had the harshest throat hit I have ever experienced! had to throw the first away and I'm going to dilute the second with vg to see if that cures the problem. I left them to steep for 2 days, if I leave them for longer will the throat hit lessen or do I just have to mix a higher vg ratio? I am confused by this problem as surely if I am mixing to the same ratio as what I used to buy then shouldn't the throat hit be the same????

Offline marlow57

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
What flavoring are you using? Some fruit flavors that I have used were quite harsh on my throat. I lowered the flavor percentage and it made it a lot better.

Offline eve413

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Ben,
Maybe you should try some small mixes with higher % of VG to experiment on what feels better to the throat before making any large batches.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »
I wonder if this is what the flavoring smooth is used for.

I have a new lavor thats has a huge th its almost unvapeable,  I will add more vg and see if that corrects the th.. I also are going to try a drop of saline.

Offline benridg

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice, I have taken my VG/PG ratio to 20%VG 80%PG and 10% distilled water which is working great in my clearomizers (nautilus/aerotank) but when I have tried then in my re-buildables I am still experiencing some harsh throat hit! I thought this might be the flavour percentage however I tried one of my friends liquids in his dripper which was mixed at 20% flavour and got no throat hit at all and wonderful flavour, we have a discussion and he mixes at a similar ratio to me although he uses less distilled water, we both use natural flavours from the same company so the only cause I can think of for the TH is the VG I am using, I have ordered some more from a different distributor and I will see what happens. has anyone experienced differences in VG from different vendors?

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:11 AM »
Vg soothes TH,  pg enhances.

I let my new flavor steep and the th has dwindled beautifully.

I see flavoring percentage of 20% and shake my head, wow,  how is that possible  freaked_out:..

If I go over 12% with just about all my flavors Th becomes massive and the flavor mutes/nasty..

Its possibly the ethyl alcohol in the flavoring if its your vg you definitely do not have usp  vg  :laughing2:
Most naturals use ethyl at high percentage to keep the flavor molecules in suspension..  Want some pure 180 proof drink a mc cormick extract  :rockin smiley:

Use the hot bath trick heat it up gently for a few hours in  water bath it will steam off the ethyl and leave just the flavoring.
Top kept off until vapeable!!!
I do this: pulse the microwave depending on ml 5-7 secs for 10ml  10 secs for 30-50ml then leave that to sit for a few hours..
If its still to much throat hit I pulse it again and again if needed.  If this doesn't work I attack its ph if its acidic I add a drop or two of saline if its alkaline I add a drop of vinegar..  My freakin ph meter is down so I have to guess lately but on that posted e juice it just needed steeping for 3 days top off.  I did not do the microwave because ts a new flavor and I experiment @ ambient with it until I know it  then the microwave will be useful..

Hope this helps and whoa 20% thats outrageous and expensive..   I will say some loranns need 20% but not many others..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:29 AM »
Yes 20% of any flavor is ridiculously strong for me, most I mix around 2%, but I seek out the ones with the highest concentration.  Since I don't know exactly what goes into a flavoring, I like more of what I know is in there and less of what I don't.  Of course, I don't like a lot of flavoing in my vapes anyway, but that's just me.

Offline benridg

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »
Thanks visus! Tried the microwaving  trick and just steeping a new batch so fingers crossed ????

Offline emar

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
I need it to feel like a real cig in throat hit, as well as nice strong, long lasting flavor.

Offline benridg

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »
I figured out that the problem I was having was my nicotine content! In an atomiser with a 1.6 ohm coil you don't burn as much liquid so less vapour and less nicotine. My liquids were fine in a nautilus with a 1.6 ohm coil but as soon as i used the liquid in a sub ohm build my throat felt like I just swallowed lava! I reduced my nic level to 3mg and now all is good and I'm producing some really good liquids! I have over 20 recipe's now and still experimenting with more! Would like to thank everyone for there tips and advice I still use some of the tips and all is good and well in my vaping journey  :thankyou:   

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
Tthats awesome finding
Yeah nic can be harsh seems its getting harsher recently for some reason
when I 1st started I was able to vape 18/24mg with no cough I barely can vape 12mg and not cough on 1st/2nd vape..

Somethings been changed...
  ;cheers;

Offline benridg

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
Tthats awesome finding
Yeah nic can be harsh seems its getting harsher recently for some reason
when I 1st started I was able to vape 18/24mg with no cough I barely can vape 12mg and not cough on 1st/2nd vape..

Somethings been changed...
  ;cheers;

I think it's more like the way we vape that has changed, tanks are more efficient now and produce a lot more vapour than they used to even sticking at the same resistance. I used an old kanger tank the other day and built one of my RTA's at the same resistance and the difference was quite incredible!
With the sub ohm revolution still going and companies at war to produce tanks with larger and larger vapour production I don't think things are goin to settle down for a while either!

Offline david

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
Here are some factors that are possibly making your throat hurt after vaping; check out below following factors need to take care.

Nicotine Strength
Vaping Method
Vaping Frequency
Extreme Dryness
Extreme Dryness

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Throat Hit

gfxgfx
gfx gfx