gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 07:15:06 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Regulator for desktop vape station??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Regulator for desktop vape station??  (Read 19249 times)

Offline Madyicstik

Regulator for desktop vape station??
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:39 AM »
Hi guys just wondering if there is such a thing that i can use to make something like the "vapecube"

I have a store front and id like to use something that i can leave on a desk or table for everyone to use and try my juices with?

The vape cube is an awesome idea and i would to have one but its crazy how much money they want for one.

I want it to be ble to run 4  mods preferably pasthrough all at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
Re: Regulator for desktop vape station??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:58:31 AM »
I use the OKR-t10 for my "desktop" builds, I house it in a hammond 1590B case.  The case is overkill by far but wanted something that would not easily slide around.  I use a 500ohm rotary liner pot with knob for easy adjustment and a 12v 5a power supply.   But again I only built it for one user not multiples like you are asking.

But maybe I gave you an idea or a starting point :D

Just dawned on me also but you could build it into a hammond 1550 case and use it like a wall powered box mod and just make sure the power cable in mounted inside the case so people cant just unplug it and run :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:13:26 AM by Dznutz »

Offline djboa

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:23:23 AM »
okr-t10/evercool seconded - I have one without battery in the car.

I would do the same to a pc-powersupplys 12V rail, they are plentyfull, cheap and powerfull enough to run quite a few of these ;)

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:24 AM »
Thanks for your replies, ive seen somewhere here that there is a regulator about a size of a hand( he was holding it) i just couldnt remember what regulator was it,

Offline djboa

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
don't know what that could be, the okr-t regulators themselves are quite small ...

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
Pretty easy build really.  Makes things a lot easier when you don't have to cram stuff into a small enclosure.   The regulators are small, but the power supply takes up some space, you want something like a 12V 10A supply.  You can find those on eBay (like this) or you can adapt an old PC power supply to spend as little as possible.  PC power supplies take up more space though.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Thanks craig, I do have a power supply that's around 10A but voltage I thing is 24v I'd have to check when I get home, I can build 4 okr or. 4 ptr but I don't know what. Components and values I'd have to change so I canuse the power supply I have . Is this something you can help me with craig?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
24V would be too high for any of the switching modules I've seen that can provide the voltage range and power output you need.  It's pretty much going to have to be a 12V supply.  You might be able to find a regulator with an input range up to 24V, but I did a quick look at TI and Murata and didn't see anything with the output range you would need.

There's not much you would have to change.  Just use the regulator modules the same as you would for a two cell mod.  The only difference is that instead of connecting them to a battery, cable them to the 12V power supply. 

I would simply build 4 small boxes that hold all the workings of a normal mod less the battery then run a power cable for each one to a common connection at the power supply.  That would be more efficient since you would be minimizing power loss over the cables.

You can actually get considerable voltage drops over the length of a cable with higher atomizer currents.  With a 12V supply, currents from the power supply to the regulator are going to be much lower than currents from the regulator to the atomizer so there's a big difference in power loss over the cable runs.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »
19.5v and 11.A is the power supply that I have. I. Was thinking of sticking a ton of 18650 in abox and wire them just so I have 20000 mah on 7.4 v and using breaktru's series charging diagram.  Or using a balance taps and deans connector to charge the 7.4v . At leask I can keep the same circuit without changing any components.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Still too high, the TI and OKR regulators are 14V max.

You could use a battery power supply if you want, but there's really no benefit there.  The whole point of using a wall power supply is to remove the added maintenance of a battery.  You might as well just leave 4 normal mods out with 4 USB chargers.

If you're intent on using a big battery, I would recommend using a 3S hobby LiPo like this.  You can parallel them up for more capacity.

You want to charge any series pack of Li-Ion cells with a balance charger whether that's a hobby LiPo or a pack of 18650s.  You can use a cheap one like like this or something higher end.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »
That power supply that you posted. A link of, will it be able to handle the amp draw of all 4 okr module say at. 5 or .6 ohms? All at the same time?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Are you talking about that 20C LiPo?  It has a continuous drain limit of 100 Amps and a burst Limit of 150 Amps, so yeah, it can power four OKR-T/10s at max output.  In fact, that 3s battery can output 1800 Watts so it could power 36 OKR-T/10s at max output.  And that's just one of them.  Two in parallel would double that. 

That second link is for a charger, not a power supply.  The charger itself only puts out about 10 Watts so no, it could not power anything, just charge the battery at a very modest rate.  You can get better chargers with higher rates though.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:05:34 PM by CraigHB »

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Not the lipo, I was talking about the ebay link you posted for 12v power supply.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
Oh, the 12V 10A power supplies can output 120 Watts.  An OKR-T/10 has a 50 Watt maximum output so a 12V 10A power supply could only power two OKR-T/10s at max output or four of them at 30 Watts output.  That's neglecting losses of course.  It would be about 10% less when accounting for losses.  Of course, you could use a power supply with higher output.  12V 10A is probably the minimum you would want to use, but you can find similar ones with higher current ratings providing a higher output.

BTW, a .6 Ohm atomizer consumes 30 Watts at a voltage setting of 4.2V.  It consumes 50 Watts at a voltage setting of 5.5 Volts.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
Thank you, you are right, ill go double the amp spec on the psupply. Just confirming, if I use a 12V input power on a ptr or okr build, I do not need to change the value of any components at all right? I'm basically usinf the power supply instead of a battery? I'm doing a ptr build on one of breaktru's thread here with the diagram.

I really appreciate your input.

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 12:50:38 AM »
Thank you, you are right, ill go double the amp spec on the psupply. Just confirming, if I use a 12V input power on a ptr or okr build, I do not need to change the value of any components at all right? I'm basically usinf the power supply instead of a battery? I'm doing a ptr build on one of breaktru's thread here with the diagram.

I really appreciate your input.

No you should be fine, the few I have built turned out just just fine with a 12v instead of 2 batts.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:01 AM »
Thanks guys!! Just ordered a bunch of ptr from digikey!

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 01:00:50 AM »
No you should be fine, the few I have built turned out just just fine with a 12v instead of 2 batts.

So your resistor is 200ohm qnd pot is 220 oh nd input voltage is 12v?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 07:18:51 AM »
So your resistor is 200ohm qnd pot is 220 oh nd input voltage is 12v?

Pot is 200 ohm and fixed resistor is 220 ohms.
If you use the values that you mentioned the low scale of the output voltage will be the same with what I just mentioned but... your high end output voltage will be a bit higher than the 6v max specification of the converter.

The input voltage range is 4.5-14 Vdc, so YES 12Vdc is fine.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Thanks guys. I will post pics when its completed.

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »
If I have a one user mod that has input max (power brick 12V 10A 120W) and output max (Raptor 6v 20A 120W) - the power brick should be able to handle the load at full output without issues to the power brick or the Raptor, correct?  Both have the same max power capability.  Or is my thinking wrong?

And on the same lines for the OKR-T10 - if I have a one user mod that has input max (power brick 12V 5A 60W) and output max (OKR-T10 6v 10A 50W) - the power brick should be able to handle the load at full output without issues to the power brick or the OKR-T10, correct?

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Pot is 200 ohm and fixed resistor is 220 ohms.
If you use the values that you mentioned the low scale of the output voltage will be the same with what I just mentioned but... your high end output voltage will be a bit higher than the 6v max specification of the converter.

The input voltage range is 4.5-14 Vdc, so YES 12Vdc is fine.

With the 200 ohm instead of 220 you end up with a high of 7v instead of 6v.

On the power supply question, I vape 15-22 watts so I have never pushed mine to the limit but the 12v 5a supply works just fine.

I have tossed a 1ohm coil and cranked it all the way up and well it glowed brighter than I was willing to try :)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
If I have a one user mod that has input max (power brick 12V 10A 120W) and output max (Raptor 6v 20A 120W) - the power brick should be able to handle the load at full output without issues to the power brick or the Raptor, correct?  Both have the same max power capability.  Or is my thinking wrong?

And on the same lines for the OKR-T10 - if I have a one user mod that has input max (power brick 12V 5A 60W) and output max (OKR-T10 6v 10A 50W) - the power brick should be able to handle the load at full output without issues to the power brick or the OKR-T10, correct?

There's some ancillary considerations with power supplies other than the rated output and max power demand.  In this case, there's going to be some loss in the converter.  I tend to use an 80% efficiency when making calculations about power requirements to pad it a bit, but realistically it's going to be closer to 90% efficient.  So for example, if you want a 100W output, you'll need see 110W input or 120W to pad it a bit. 

Also, wall adapters (including the power bricks you see for things like laptop computers) can get horribly inefficient at maximal outputs.  Makers tend to exaggerate output ratings as well.  You can't always be sure a power supply will provide the voltage you expect at maximal loads.  It's always a good idea to pad the power supply ratings by at least 50%.  So, for a 100W demand, you'd want to use a power supply rated for at least 150W.  A quality power supply should deliver the rated voltage within 10% at maximal demand, but that's often not the case unless you spend the money for a high quality one.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
i ran into some issues. ive been using this exact diagram in my box mods .alittle over 50 boxes  and everything works fine.

i decided to use this exact diagram on my desktop vape station  and used rca jack to replace the battery sleds as im using a very small box as the hand held and good beefy wires and male rca jacks down to the bigger box that hold 2 12v 5000mah 65c lipos.

the handheld fired a few times and just stopped working.

is it possible that using the rca jack mounted on the metal case shorted something out?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:07:39 PM by Madyicstik »

Online yogi

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
i ran into some issues. ive been using this exact diagram in my box mods .alittle over 50 boxes  and everything works fine.

i decided to use this exact diagram on my desktop vape station  and used rca jack to replace the battery sleds as im using a very small box as the hand held and good beefy wires and male rca jacks down to the bigger box that hold 2 12v 5000mah 65c lipos.

the handheld fired a few times and just stopped working.

is it possible that using the rca jack mounted on the metal case shorted something out?

It is possible to short out w/ an RCA jack. The center (+) needs a wide enough hole so not to touch the case.

Offline andrear87

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »
really interested in

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Regulator for desktop vape station??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx