gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 11:34:22 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Evolv USB
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Evolv USB  (Read 12061 times)

Offline Romelee

Evolv USB
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
Hi all,

Just read this somewhere, could  someone confirm it's 100% correct:

"Please check that the output power from your Micro USB charger does NOT exceed 1 Amp anything below or on 1 Amp is perfect, e.g. Apple Ipad chargers output 5.1 Volts DC @ 2.1 Amp this is far too high the USB port or your battery could be damaged, have a look on your charger it will tell you the output voltage and current, I use an one BlackBerry charger it's output is 5 Volts @700mA Perfect."

Even though my charger is below the 1 AMP i was just needing to make sure the above is correct.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Evolv USB
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
Charging voltage should never exceed the batteries voltage rating.
The charging amperage rate should not exceed the batteries charging current specs. Check the battery datasheet.
For instance, a typical Li-ion battery has a rating of 4.2v fully charged but there are some batteries that require 4.35v.
The evolv usb charger output is: 500ma, 4.2V

Sony US18650VTC3
Charge voltage 4.20±0.05V
Continuous maximum charge current 10A

Samsung ICR-18650-30B
Max. Charge Voltage level (V) 4.35V
Charge Current (C) 0.5C (1.5A)

However wiring a charger above 500ma to the DNA charge connections can burn up the trace lines on the DNA board.
Wiring the charger directly to the battery should be used when using a charger above 500ma...  although I am using a 1A charger with no problems.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:04:15 PM by Breaktru »

Offline Romelee

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:46:52 PM by Romelee »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
Yes that would work fine.
I use a wall adapter too. I have a dual output on mine. One output is 2A and the other is 1A. I have 2 cables. One for a Mini USB and one for a micro because I have several mods with mixed USB charger types.

I may have misinterpreted your original post when you said USB charger and 5v, I believe you were referring to the wall adapter.

Offline Romelee

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
I may have misinterpreted your original post when you said USB charger and 5v, I believe you were referring to the wall adapter.

I was referring to any type of charger that is best to be used for the Evolv USB.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Hi all,

Just read this somewhere, could  someone confirm it's 100% correct:

"Please check that the output power from your Micro USB charger does NOT exceed 1 Amp anything below or on 1 Amp is perfect, e.g. Apple Ipad chargers output 5.1 Volts DC @ 2.1 Amp this is far too high the USB port or your battery could be damaged, have a look on your charger it will tell you the output voltage and current, I use an one BlackBerry charger it's output is 5 Volts @700mA Perfect."

Even though my charger is below the 1 AMP i was just needing to make sure the above is correct.

What Breaktru said is 100% correct, but that quote you posted is 100% INcorrect.  For one, a USB power supply is always going to output 5V.  It could have a current rating of 100A and it would not matter in the least.  However, going too low on the current rating can give you trouble.  For a 1A charging rate, I would recommend a 2A rated USB charger adapter.

On the battery side, output maximums from the charging board are entirely dependent on the battery being charged.  A standard Li-Ion with a capacity 1000mAh or greater can can safely handle a 1A rate.  The hobby LiPos can handle rates much higher than that.  A 5000mAh 20C LiPo can be charged safely with a rate of 10A.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
Exactly..
I'm using my wall adapter 2A output for my 1A charger and the 1A adapter output for my 500ma charger.

Offline Romelee

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
1A adapter output for my 500ma charger.

Sorry i should of said that info i found was based on the Evolv USB charger, so if i am reading correctly if using the Evolv USB with a Evolv 30D the charger will be fine ranging from 500ma too 1A?

Charging for example this: http://www.p-vaper.co.uk/epages/es152439.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es152439/Products/167[9]

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »
The short answer is yes.  Here's the long answer;

The ideal charging rate for any Li-Ion cell is 1C.  That's one times the charge so you can simply remove the "h" from the mAh rating and that's your 1C rate.  This provides the fastest charging time with an acceptable amount of wear.  Standard Li-Ion cells (LiCo or ICR) can not be charged with a rate higher than 1C, but IMR cells can handle 2C without issue.  However, wear increases an amount going from 1C to 2C where there's not a big difference up to 1C.

For the case of the cell you listed, it's a 700 mAh IMR cell so the ideal rate would be 700 mA.  Maximal rate is 2C or 1.4A.  You can use a 1A rate with that cell and you'll be within tolerance, but you'll get an increase in wear.

To power your USB charger, you should use a charger adapter with a rating twice the rate.  If using a 500mA rate, you should use a charger adapter with a rating 1A or greater.  If using a 1A rate, you should use a charger adapter with a current rating 2A or greater.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Evolv USB

gfxgfx
gfx gfx