gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 12:04:22 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: li-ion battery protection board.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: li-ion battery protection board.  (Read 12141 times)

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
li-ion battery protection board.
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:16:02 AM »
Got to looking into charging 2x 3.7v  li-ion in series and ran across this 2S Li-ion Lithium 18650 Battery Input Ouput Chip Board PCB PCM 7.2V 7.4V 8.4V 5A
Actually found a few different boards, but this one looked like the best constructed board.
Am I wrong in thinking I could just hook a female micro usb up to this to charge my mod.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: li-ion battery protection board.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
That link is no good for me. 

Generally speaking, two wire chargers are something to avoid when charging series Li-Ion packs.  You want to use a balance charger which has one common wire and one wire for the positive terminal on each cell.  So, a 2S pack would have a 3 wire balance charger, a 3S pack would have a 4 wire balance charger, etc.  You can use a 1/8" stereo jack as a charger connector for the mod or you can use the standard pin header used for hobby LiPos. 

Here's an inexpensive balance charger, but you can spend more and get a better one if perferred.

It's not possible to charge a series pack with a USB charger without doing some rather involved gyrations with the circuit design.  It's possible, but generally not worth the trouble.  There's a number of ways to handle it, but I'm not going to talk about it because I don't think it's worth the trouble personally.  There's a thread on the forum here on using a switch to reconfigure the cells to utilize a USB charger, maybe someone can link to it if you can't find it.

You could use a USB connector with a balance charger, but that's something I would avoid.  Things like USB connectors have strict specifications to make them compatible across the board.  Using one in a manner like that violates the standard and you never know, someone might try to plug it in to a regular USB charger adapter and then, "boom...I'm okay."

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
I think this is what he is referring to --> HERE

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
That's it Breaktru.

The aforementioned thread is what got me looking around for something off the shelf. I did find some 3 wire system's, but this one looked like a decent board.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »
There's really no need to use the protection board for charging.  Just connect a balance charger directly to the cells as I indicated before.  Protection boards do not offer any protection for charging other than an over-voltage cutout about 4.35V per cell which is too late, the cell is already damaged.  The best protection for charging you can accomplish is by using a good charger.  It's the charger's job to avoid cell damage when charging.

As far as providing output protection for the cells, that board looks like it should do a good job there, though 5A is a little low.  It's a kind of hard to understand the specs with the bad Chenglish on that listing.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »
Thanx for the guidance Craig.
My initial build plans are changing w/ the more I learn on this forum from you good folk :)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:53 AM »
This one would be better.  They also have one with the right shape for mounting on the bottom of a couple round cells.  They're shown below.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
I'm going w/ the Turnigy E3 charger Craig linked to above and using the JST HX 3 wire balance leads, the leads come in a 5 pack so I can put 1 w/ the plug into my mod.

Is this how I would wire it up.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
Just wire up the charger jack directly to the cells.  You don't need to switch the charger connections at all.  Similar to a USB charger, it's not going to cause an issue for the charger to see the load if you want to charge and vape at the same time.  Since Li-Ion charging is purely voltage driven, intermittent loading does not interfere with the charging profile.  This would not be the case for other types of rechargeable batteries.

Not sure about the color codes on the jacks you have, but verify the connections are correct to the battery with respect to the charger plug.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
The switch was just a safety feature, but it won't really work with this 3 wire configuration.
The color codes vary from mfg to mfg, from what I've seen blk. ground, 1 color is cell 1, the other is cell 2.

Thanx for your guidance Craig.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:56:22 PM by Jasen »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: li-ion battery protection board.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx