gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 16, 2024, 11:21:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Alternatives to pwn
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Alternatives to pwn  (Read 4982 times)

Offline shandy27

Alternatives to pwn
« on: May 25, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
I heard a discussion about it being unacceptable using pwm in high end expensive mods, this got me thinking and it may be a stupid question but what are the alternatives to pwm.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Alternatives to pwn
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
For a mod with a variable output, all of them use PWM so you can't really say that PWM is bad.  It depends how it's used.  Power converters use PWM to drive voltage higher or lower, but they do it at a very high frequency and they filter output to purely DC.  What you get at the atomizer is the same kind of voltage you get from a battery.

Some mods use a PWM driver to provide a non-DC output at the atomizer.  This is probably what you're talking about.  In that case, you get a pulsed output, it's not like a battery.  The amount of power delivered to the atomizer depends on the voltage and width of the pulse. 

Power is power so on paper there should be no difference in delivery whether you're using a purely DC voltage or a pulsed voltage.  However, people claim there is a difference.  I can't say myself since I've not used a mod that provides a PWM output.  All of the ones I make myself use a power converter that provide a flat DC output.  There is the advantage of accuracy.  A mod that provides a PWM output at the atomizer is not going to provide readings as accurate since there's a conversion in scale that has to be done.

Offline shandy27

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
Ah I think I get it now, they all implement pwm but some use a filter to get a flat signal rather than a pulsed output.

Offline djboa

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »
the higher switching frequency has a lot to do with it, I think the difference is something like
vamo 33hz
okl-t 3000hz

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
The converters we use for e-cigs typically run PWM around 500kHz.  So you're a little off on the frequency difference there.

Converters put out a DC voltage, though internally they are driven by PWM.  The two applications of PWM used to power e-cigs really don't have much in common other than the term PWM.  The main thing to gather is that the one puts out a low frequency pulse while the other puts out DC.

There's one mod I've seen that seems to use a sort of bastardized converter providing a PWM output, but does it at a high frequency, I think it was around 200kHz. Generally e-cigs that provide a PWM output do it at a low frequency, under 100Hz.

Offline djboa

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
Thanks, thats what happens when you go off from memory ;)

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Alternatives to pwn

gfxgfx
gfx gfx