gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 08:49:09 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Videos - Some Cool, Some Funny  |  Topic: Vicious Ant goes huge 30A 2V-8.4V
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vicious Ant goes huge 30A 2V-8.4V  (Read 17531 times)

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Vicious Ant goes huge 30A 2V-8.4V
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »
After months of teasing its now on the market
5w-120W
$500.00- $800.00
 ;hubba;

The VariAnt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFWyUo9MSM

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: Vicious Ant goes huge 30A 2V-8.4V
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »
Gimme the screen and box keep the pwm freq and battery charging having to take it out the mod.

It also drains the batts while switched off. 

whoa

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »
That's a nice unit, I'm choking a bit on the price, but then I'm not the type that would spend much over $100

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
Its great, he/she really nailed ergonomics,  the display is awesome.  I dislike that type freq of pwm (rattle snake)but wow its 120 watt monster..

It has few kinks that are arguable but at $500 I see you can name your price with a mod that cool..

He does say those are generic lipo cells and Vicious  recommends you purchase better batts so maybe with more power on tap that frequency smooths out a bit.  :thumbsup:

Offline miskol

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
i've been wondering, how does these circuits/mods/modules determined the minimum load resistance.

for example this VariAnt have min 0.2ohm! how is it determined???

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
i've been wondering, how does these circuits/mods/modules determined the minimum load resistance.

for example this VariAnt have min 0.2ohm! how is it determined???

Ohms Law and maximum tolerance in the build, module, atomizer, and person, can handle.   :laughing2:

30 Amps= 0.28R @8.4v  252Watts
Mod is limited to 120watts=   .2R @6v 21A

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Offline miskol

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
so if they were to max out their mod, with 30A & 8.4V, they could achieve 252W. so the min resistance is based on limitation they set on their own, probably based on try and error to see if the actual output have good stabilization, max tolerances etc. is it?

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
Theres other pieces on the board drawing power so its calculated power consumption with a 30 amp cap..

My guess added on to yours

Craig or Break etc would have too answer further lol...

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
Limitations are based on the components used to supply power, not the math.  The math determines the power output, but it's limited either by power ratings or current ratings whichever comes first.  It's just how it works with power converters, they can handle a certain amount of power output, but they also have a current limit.  It has to do with which components are most heavily loaded under any given condition. 

One thing you can get away with in e-cigs is the atomizer is not continuously powered.  Limits always come down to heat which is determined by losses.  When things are not powered continuously, there's a cooling interval allowing burst outputs.  So, if you ensure temperature limits are not exceeded, you can push components pretty far beyond their continuous rating.  Plus 50% is a safe assumption.

When using a power converter with a high enough rating, it then comes down to the capability of your power supply.  Using two batteries capable of a 30A burst gives you a a maximal power output of 180W using a 6V minimum voltage.  So even if you have a 500W/50A converter, the most you could put out would be 180W or 30A, whichever comes first.

In any case, I find these crazy high power outputs pretty impractical.  It's possible to set up an atomizer to function well at high outputs like that, but I could never imagine actually vaping with a rig like that all the time.  I'd end up on the floor.  The vast majority of vapers operate under 25 Watts.  Some people are perfectly happy with as little as 5 Watts.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
Wish I could be happy again @ 5 watts  :laughing2:
 :wallbash:
burning up juice and over nic'd  @24watts is getting old

I agree 30 watts all you'll ever need but those are our opinions
I assume that they do not use nic and only enjoy cloud chasing, those who do above 30 watts

My 4050 keychain mod scares other vapers lol
They cannot believe it hits so hard compared to their mechs and vamo's etc with same atomizer..
One of my partners was scared to touch it.. 

Yeah its getting crazy..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
I haven't looked at the specs on that 30A box, but I expect it uses 3 cells in series to get that wide voltage range.  It has to be using a buck converter and those usually have a volt or two drop-out.  So, minimum input voltage would have to be at least 9V which calls for 3 series cells.  That's going to be a big ass box, definitely not something you can put in your pocket.  It may be a PWM design, but you still need the higher voltage input to maintain that 2-8V range.

If you want huge power, you could skip the battery altogether and do a passthru.  Would be a lot smaller, but then you're tied to a wall plug.

There's a pretty big vaping convention in my town next month I plan to go to (http://www.vaperconwest.com).  I think some may scoff at my measly 40W box.  But hey, it's small and fits nicely in my pocket.  That counts for something.

Funny, when I first did that box I got a couple comments saying why would anyone want that much power.  Now it's considered pretty median.  I could probably do a 60W booster, I've thought about it and I think it's do-able, but the limited bottom end on the voltage range has always kind of bothered me.  The boost only is easier to get big outputs from compared to buck-boost, but I think it's better to stick with a 40W output for a wider voltage range.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
At this point in time, I'm doing 7 watts with lots of satisfying taste and big clouds. Call me a wimp but I'm satisfied with it.
I will never understand the high wattage vaping. All I get is burnt, hot and nasty tasting juice.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Okay, I bit the bullet and watched the review.  I kind of avoid that guy's reviews.  They're hard to wade through and there's like zero technical info in them.

Anyway, the battery is a bit of a mystery to me.  Says it's 7.4V and there's a 2S charging cable on there which makes me wonder how it's maintaining a range up to 8V.  The whole mod is kind of a mystery for me.  Sure would like to see the other side of that PCB.

Oh crap, I'm such a dumb-ass.  I know all about that mod.  I had an involved conversation with the developer when he first started the design probably a year ago on another forum.  It's a PWM output.  Peak PWM voltage is dependant on battery voltage so it sags as the battery runs down.  The most you can get at any one time is battery voltage which is going to range from 6 to 8.4V.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:18:43 PM by CraigHB »

Offline nosmo ke

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Would be better if it came with a free psychiatric evaluation rather than a free battery charger.

Offline miskol

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Oh crap, I'm such a dumb-ass.  I know all about that mod.  I had an involved conversation with the developer when he first started the design probably a year ago on another forum.  It's a PWM output.  Peak PWM voltage is dependant on battery voltage so it sags as the battery runs down.  The most you can get at any one time is battery voltage which is going to range from 6 to 8.4V.

so it is based on buck circuit and self-design? my earlier impression was that it is a box mod using MCU to control for example the OKR or Raptor and display info on OLED.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »
No, it's a PWM mod.  It outputs low frequency PWM.  Mods that use that type of regulation typically run the PWM under 50Hz, but I believe that one is somewhat higher, like a couple thousand Hertz.  Frequency is not a big factor in terms of atomizer peformance.  It's usually run in the sub-audible range to limit the possiblity of audible noise, but there should not be an issue when run higher.  For things like motors it matters, but not for an atomizer.

Power is power so it shouldn't matter whether it's delivered with DC or a pulse, but people claim there's a difference.  PWM does have some big advantages in that's it's very simple and has very good efficiency.  All you need is a switch (MOSFET) and an MCU to control the switch.  The downside of PWM is you can not output a voltage higher than input voltage.  This is also true for a buck converter, but the difference is a buck converter provides a purely DC output.  The disadvantage with PWM is the high peak currents at peak voltages which can be a problem for electrical noise and losses.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
Watch the clouds vaping it over 100watts insanity

freaked_out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ar1QtdjeQ

This unit is a bit more accurate -- for mcguyver

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:29:56 PM by Visus »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Videos - Some Cool, Some Funny  |  Topic: Vicious Ant goes huge 30A 2V-8.4V

gfxgfx
gfx gfx