gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 03:23:39 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: OKR T-6 Build - Thanks Breaktru!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OKR T-6 Build - Thanks Breaktru!  (Read 8683 times)

Offline tdorsey

OKR T-6 Build - Thanks Breaktru!
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Built this in a wood box a couple months ago but I beat up that box so fast I didn't want to take pictures!  I used Breaktru's circuit less the on/off switch because my wiring is a mess and I couldn't fit it in, I don't carry in a pocket so it's not too inconvenient but will try to fit things better next time.  I built this aluminum box out of a piece of 1 x 2 rectangular alum tube that I had laying around in the garage.  Everything was cut on a table saw with a carbide wood cutting blade (and a little bit of miter box and sawzall for good measure), also on the "next time" list I'm thinking I can clean up the rabbets on the router table.  My saw blades don't cut a flat top.  I had this painted flat black with that rubberized paint, looked really nice (even made that cheap horn button look better) and felt great, but 1 day of carrying it started taking the finish off so I guess I need to do better prep.  I use this thing every day and I can't thank Breaktru enough for posting the diagrams and info that he did, I wouldn't have been able to make this work without this site. 

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: OKR T-6 Build - Thanks Breaktru!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Awesome

I thought it was an aa 3 battery box at glance, thats great

how did u fit using a sawzall into play lol
seems like using a sledge hammer on a finishing nail..  :thumbsup:

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
Not to shabby. Maybe if your rough up the box w/ some 80gt you could get some Plastidip to hold up for a fair amount of time, or take it to your buddies powder coat shop, ya I was I had that buddy to ;)

Offline tdorsey

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
LOL - I did use a sawzall to split the tube when I cut it in half.  I cut through about 3/4 on each side, finished the cut with the sawzall and then ran back through the table saw to clean up the cut.  That kept things nice and stiff when I was pushing against the fence. 

That finish on it is sanded with 120 to give it some tooth for the spray, but I guess I'll give 80 grit a try to rough it up some more.

Offline tdorsey

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
And yeah, I wish I had that friend too!

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
If your going to spray it with paint again, clean your hands good and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, a couple coats of black primer and then shoot it w/ the finish paint.

I just mentioned plastidip because it's pretty tough and kinda hard rubbery or soft plasticy.

As far as your TS blade, look at a ripping blade, most of them are flat bottom cut blades called a FTG grind of the teeth.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:40:16 PM by Jasen »

Offline tdorsey

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:54:15 PM »
I was using a rust o leum product that's very similar to plasti-dip, but has more of a matte finish that I really like, almost like an ego battery.  I was lazy and didn't primer, that was probably the issue.  The flat tooth ground blade would be the ideal solution, I'll have to price a blade.  I may give the router table a go at one just to see how it does.  I was really surprised by how well the table saw did with aluminum, I had never tried that before.  I went really slow and cut everything in about 10 passes so it wasn't speedy, but it worked out fine.  The aluminum box has a great feel to it, alot more heft than the little wood boxes I've been building out of 3/32 beech from the hobby store.  I see myself making at least one more just to get it right.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »
Freud makes some good blades for a fair price, it's all I use at home and work. With aluminum you just have to really make sure you've got a good hold of it, it can chatter, grab and fly in a heart beat. Aluminum tends to stick to the cutters so keep an eye out for build up. The carbide cutters will hold up close to as long as if your were cutting wood, but you will loose a bit of the clean cut if you use them on wood afterwards, not bad, usually just produces a bit of a fuzz on wood. I would use a rip blade sparingly seeing it's only 24 tooth, a 60T would be best for through cut's. You can also get non ferrous metal blades, I'm not sure of the cost but probably more then it's worth for how little you'll us it. I've routed aluminum cautiously, both hand held and table, I always think about wearing a diaper when doing it. The router removes material differently then a saw blade, typically 2 cutters @10,000-30,000 RPM where as a TS is around 3k-4k blade RPM.

Offline tdorsey

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
LMAO about the diaper!  I was thinking that i could run through on the TS with the setup I have now, and then do a really light pass on the router table just to square it all up and clean up the cuts a little bit.  Honestly a bit more time with the file would probably work just fine though.  I have a Frued blade on the miter box, 60 tooth combo blade but it's lasted really well and cuts clean.  I'll be playing around with it in the garage in the next week or two, I'll have to try some things out.  The TS did a great job, the fit is good and tight with no slop so I'm happy, it's no Hana Mod but I'm a low rent kinda guy anyway.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »
Congrats on your build.
I think I would prefer to polish it to a mirror finish

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
tdorsey,
I don't mean to sound condescending, just 25 years as a carpenter and 35 as a woodworkers and shade tree mechanic I've seen a lot of bad things, lost fingers, eye's, internal bleeding caused by kick back, crushed, smashed, bashed and worse.  I've seen the "yea you can cut non ferrous metals with carbide cutters on your woodworking tools" then whiiiiing and someones got stitches or worse. Lite passes, good grip and a solid stance. a lot of people don't realize how important it is how you stand at/with a tool , you need to have balance for tool control but you also need to think recovery/ run away if something unexpected happens. Always always listen to that little voice in your head, it's always right even if you get away with it ;)

Tool safety guy stepping down from the soap box :)

Offline tdorsey

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 01:48:37 AM »
Jasen, not taken as condescending at all.  I did 10 years as a carpenter (framing and later trim) and another 8 years installing glass and aluminum sunrooms and solariums, I've heard the little voice telling me when I'm getting too close to the edge and these days that voice seems louder than it did when I was 20.  Or maybe I just listen better who knows.  I don't have any problems with somebody reminding me that sharp metal objects spinning at high rpms deserve a high degree of respect. 

And yeah, everybody keeps telling me to polish it, but I'm just more of a flat black kinda guy!

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
I say plastidip it :D

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
I'm just more of a flat black kinda guy!

I'm with you on that.  Though finding a paint that can tolerate the abuse a mod has to take is not an easy thing to find.  I'm using a semi-gloss engine paint that comes out a piano black after baking.  This stuff specifically http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/barrelpaint/.  The finish ends up gloss, but the paint holds up really well.  I've actually taken a liking to the gloss black I get out of it.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: OKR T-6 Build - Thanks Breaktru!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx