gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 04:54:52 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Are ceramic Caps waterproof???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are ceramic Caps waterproof???  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Neon711

Are ceramic Caps waterproof???
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
   Dont even ask....left my whole bag of caps in my pocket and they were washed. So are ceramic caps waterproof or are they ruined???  Thanks for all the help. This place is like the library of congress for modding.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: Are ceramic Caps waterproof???
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
I would believe so, wearable arduino's do not have a protective coating and state if they get wet remove all electric and let thoroughly dry;  they are loaded with ceramics. 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Just about all the packages used for electronics components are hermetically sealed.  When I assemble circuit boards, I wash them in rubbing alcohol afterwards to remove the flux.  If the parts were not sealed, I would not be able to do that. 

The one issue is they are not particularly tolerant to shock or abrasion.  Being in the washer, they may have suffered a lot of abrasion.  Inspect them visually and if you can seen no cracks or dings, they should be fine. 

You can also check the resistance with an ohmmeter, should be open circuit (infinite).  Higher end meters have a capacitance setting.  If your meter has that, you can check the capacitance as well.

Offline c1truz

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
Ya know this just reminded me of a time when I was younger.  I got mad at my mother.  Threw a disposable camera against my bedroom wall.    Went back a few hours later....sat on the bed.   And boy let me tell you the caps in a camera will give your leg quite a shock!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Ya know this just reminded me of a time when I was younger.  I got mad at my mother.  Threw a disposable camera against my bedroom wall.    Went back a few hours later....sat on the bed.   And boy let me tell you the caps in a camera will give your leg quite a shock!

Serves you right for throwing a temper tantrum  :laughing2:

Offline c1truz

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »
Lol I wish I could have seen my face when I sat on it.....that was 17 years ago and I can still feel the jolt.

Offline modfo

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:37:41 AM »
Lol its not funny but I kind of did the same thing once with the spark o magic  ! Magic didn't discharge the ones that was in it and forgot I fell out the chair and started jumping up and down the kids was laughing at me saying what happen daddy I didn't tell them cause I put them up just so they don't get ahold of them !

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Are ceramic Caps waterproof???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx