gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 10:55:21 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fresh off the charger
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fresh off the charger  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Fresh off the charger
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
Battery rest after charging is  a more powerful battery.

I have tested this run-tme performance theory almost daily back when this knowledge was unknown to me.

That instant fresh off the charger use battery will sag and run out juice almost an hour faster than a overnight or 5 hour well rested battery  even if the freshly charged batt reads 4.2v and the rested battery reads lower 3.9-4.1v.  Its heckuva  different battery for some odd reason..

I had previously read about this at battery university but thought no way is that gonna make a difference..  It does...

Just another, "well what do ya know " post..

:yes"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:23:16 PM by Visus »

Offline midnightron

Re: Fresh off the charger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:21 AM »
Can you charge a battery too much? I am using the itaste mvp. I work on a 2 battery schedule. When I get up in the morning I put the previous days battery on charge and use the freshly charged battery right away. I do this every day and it seems to work well for me but am I killing my batter by charging it for about 12 hours?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline miskol

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
nice sharing, good reasons then to have extra batteries, some to be used some to be left sleeping ;p

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
Can you charge a battery too much? I am using the itaste mvp. I work on a 2 battery schedule. When I get up in the morning I put the previous days battery on charge and use the freshly charged battery right away. I do this every day and it seems to work well for me but am I killing my batter by charging it for about 12 hours?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You really need to check the voltage of the battery if possible, if its approaching 4.3v  you are ruining the batteries.  Like home cordless phones that stay on the charger to long, they burn up that lipo/ion battery very quickly.  I do not know the science behind the rested battery but its true.  I used to vape my mods str8 away off the charger and knew how much run-time they would give ma.  Now mostly using rested batts they vape longer and the sag doesn't happen like it would with fresh off the charger batts use.  I said maybe one hour longer --its more lol...

Some chargers cut out charging  and some keep trickle charging so yeah removing them as soon as their charged is better bests if you do not know what your charger is doing after full charge is reached..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
You found the temperature sensitivity of Li-Ion batteries.  The perform optimally at room temperature.  When they get too hot or too cold they lose a lot of their charge capacity.  When they're warm straight off the charger they will not run as long as when they've cooled completely.  However, when Li-Ion batteries get too cold, they can lose a majority of their run time.  The narrow temperature tolerance of Li-Ion batteries keeps them out of use for some applications.

Li-Ion chargers follow a very strict charging profile.  They don't trickle charge, that's a Li-Ion battery no-no.  There are two primary phases for Li-Ion charging than that's CCM and CVM.  In CVM current falls off as voltage approaches terminal charging voltage, but that's not to be confused with trickle charging.  That's just the latter phase of a normal Li-Ion charging profile.

On the other hand, Lead-Acid batteries and NiCad or NiMH batteries rely on trickle charging to keep the charge topped off and maximize battery longevity.  Those types of batteries "self-discharge".  Li-Ion batteries do not self-discharge and do require any kind of trickle charging.  Doing that puts additional wear on them with no benefit.

The standard tolerance on terminal charging voltage for 4.2V Li-Ions is 4.25V.  As you increase that terminal voltage, you increase wear.  If a battery is coming off the charger at 4.3 Volts, I'd bin the charger.  Of course, you have to make sure the accuracy of your voltmeter is good for that amount.  Cheapo meters you get on eBay or at discount tool stores can have quite a bit of error. 

Offline midnightron

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
Thank you for your help with the charging time for batteries. I will also take into account the battery "rest" time as well. Thank you again and keep on vaping.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fresh off the charger

gfxgfx
gfx gfx