gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 02:44:38 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: prototype 1st mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: prototype 1st mod  (Read 5221 times)

Offline sikosam

prototype 1st mod
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »
1st mod, dna 30 with duel 18650 batteries. wood box with sliding lid

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: prototype 1st mod
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
Nice going Sam. Looking good  :beer-toast:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
niice

thought was plastique til zoom and see its wood  :thumbsup:

Offline sikosam

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
got idea from mamu's arlo box mod, and changed it around a little. am using a set of sony vtc5 batteries. question: batteriues dont seem to last very long in this thing before recharging, was under the impression with the batteries in parallel , same volts double mah?? did double fuses on each battery per mamu, everything seems to work right except i expected batteries to last longer. did i do something wrong?? is it because i'm vaping around 12.5 w with 1.4 ohms? still new at all this, don't have a clue about electronics,but can follow instructions well. thanks again for all the info. hope to try something different next time.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
You should be getting pretty impressive run times with dual parallel 18650s.  The mods I build myself with dual 18650s run a full day for me at 20 Watts.  I'm a pretty heavy vaper so that would probably be two days for an average vaper.  And yes, double batteries should be double the run time.  You didn't say what you're expecting, but you should get at least a full day even if you're vaping constantly. 

Your power demand is fairly median at 12.5 Watts.  Run time is inversely proportional to power demand and of course it also depends on how much you vape.  I expect you should get a couple days off a charge.  A day off a charge would be normal if you're a heavy vaper.  If you're getting a lot less than that, you have a problem somewhere. 

Poor run times can be due to a number of issues.  First you need to make sure your charger is working correctly.  Batteries should be coming off the charger at 4.2 Volts within a few hundredths.  Li-Ion battereis are sensitive to terminal charging voltage.  A small amount under makes a big reduction in run time.

Run time issues can result from worn batteries.  As batteries wear, they lose charge capacity and thereby run time.  There's really no way to check that other than to use one in a mod that is known to work optimally and see how it does.  If one battery is exceedingly worn and the other is not, then the good battery is going to be loaded heavier which will further reduce run times.

It's possible that electrical faults can reduce run time.  If the mod is consuming excessive power when idle, batteries can drain faster than normal.  If there is a connection issue where one of the cells is not making contact, that can cause a problem.  However that would be obvious when you go to charge the cell.

There may be more stuff to check, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Offline sikosam

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:26:52 AM »
thank you GraigHB, i actually have two new sets of batteries that i bought just for this mod, 1 set is sony vtc5 and the other set is vtc4's. i don't mix them ( i use the vtc5s together and use the vtc4s together). i also have a intellicharger . it's probably just me being paranoid. one more question, should i let the batteries completely drain or switch them before hand?? can i let the dna 30 check battery error message come on before changing out the batteries, without hurting the batteries? i have been changing them when the little battery symbol on the screen shows little to no battery left. thanks again for all your help.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
The way it works with Li-Ion batteries is that voltage levels for fully charged and fully discharged are weighed against wear to arrive at optimal values.

Wear increases exponentially when batteries are discharged below a certain voltage.  It depends on the make and model of the cell.  LiPos wear excessively when taken below 3.0V where ICR type batteries wear excessively when taken below 2.7V or 2.5V.  Some of the new high drain 18650s have unusually low discharge voltages.  Some can be taken as low as 2.0V. 

The same holds true for charge levels.  When Li-Ion batteries are charged above 4.2V, wear increases greatly.  However, some Li-Ions have a 4.35V charge limit so it depends on the cell to some extent there as well.

For normal use, you will get reduced wear when discharging cells less deeply, but it' not going to be a huge amount.  It's better to pull cells early for charging from a wear standpoint, but that has a negative impact on convenience.  Taking a cell to a low battery indication is not going to cause much additional wear compared to pulling it early.

Charge levels are not optional, it's always 4.2V or for some 4.35V.  You could pull a cell early from the charger, but the benefit is minimal and it has a large impact on convenience.  You'll get greatly reduced run times doing that.

In the extreme, excessive discharge or charge levels damage the cell and can make it unsafe to use.

Offline sikosam

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
thanks GraigHB, per evolv dna 30 the check battery error message will appear when the battery is below 3.1 volts. so it should be safe to wait for the check battery error message (if i trust what the dna 30 is telling me). thanks again

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: prototype 1st mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx