gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 01:11:15 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Decided on a permanent home for my Raptor mod...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Decided on a permanent home for my Raptor mod...  (Read 4467 times)

Offline cliff p

Decided on a permanent home for my Raptor mod...
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
I've had this empty enclosure sitting on my desk for quite some time, and it just occured to me this morning that it'd make a great box mod.

I gutted the enclosure a while back when the Toshiba 2.5" drive went bad, and never put a new drive in it.  Now it collects dust at my desk so I figured it'd be great for a box mod. 

I plan to cut one side of the aluminum enclosure and affix hinges so that I can easily access the batteries in the tray.  That way I don't have to completely disassemble the unit every time I need to remove and charge the batteries.

I'll probably start on the enclosure tonight if my wife has to work. :)

Offline cliff p

Re: Decided on a permanent home for my Raptor mod...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »
I didn't make it very far before I encountered my first issue with enclosure finish.  :(  I've tried a few substances in order to bond the silicone protective bumper to the back of the enclosure where the battery access door will be located, with no success.  I'm going to attempt to use some automotive RTV, or maybe a two part epoxy to see if I can get the material to adhere to the aluminum door.  If it's unsuccessful, I may have to scrap this project in favor of a different type of enclosure.

I'm still looking for alternatives that are rather unique in the event this external drive enclosure doesn't pan out.   :wallbash:

Offline mjacksonrigg

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »
What does it look like without the edge protector?

Offline cliff p

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Like junk, honestly.  Its a 4 piece enclosure including the bumper.  The mid section is cheap plastic and didn't hold up well either :(

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Decided on a permanent home for my Raptor mod...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx